Waghorn Rumour (1 Viewer)

Sick Boy

IF we sign Waghorne what’s the problem he’s proved to be more than capable in the championship bags of experience left sided too so gives alsorts of options. Let’s not forget we have the unknown Taveres too Jodi Jones fit again and a couple of hopefuls just signed from the Acadamy
Jones isn’t proven above League 2.

Marty

Jones isn’t proven above League 2.

He's barely kicked a ball in 4 years too,

Waghorn is better then what he's replacing by some distance but I'm hardly getting excited by it.

SBAndy

Not a clue, but a fully fit Walker with the right partner could hit 15-20 next season.

And that’s the key. Don’t see how Waghorn fits the system - unless we’re moving away from the back 3, which would be disappointing.

shmmeee

That’s my worry. Don’t see him as a partner for Walker or able to play alone up front. Likely significantly more expensive than Godden for not a massive increase in goals IMO. If we’re going for expensive experience I’d rather have it at the back or in midfield.

Of course if we’re going to be spending even more elsewhere that’s a different matter.

mark82

No way, he doesn’t fit ‘the model’.

To be fair, the model thing is relevant. Throughout Robins tenure we've always coupled developmental signings with experienced players. There is a model they look to work towards (as with most clubs) but that model very much includes these types of players too.

mark82

That’s my worry. Don’t see him as a partner for Walker or able to play alone up front. Likely significantly more expensive than Godden for not a massive increase in goals IMO. If we’re going for expensive experience I’d rather have it at the back or in midfield.

Of course if we’re going to be spending even more elsewhere that’s a different matter.

Expect we'll bring in 2 strikers.

ceetee

A number of posters are saying that because Godden and Walker suffered injury and fitness problems last season, we didn't see the best of them. That is true, but to then assume that they will be the answer next season is based on hope. I also hope that they will come good, but it remains a fact that they did not prove themselves last season. Max scored a few goals but clearly he wasn't a Championship level player in a sustained way. The same could be true of Godden and Walker; hopefully not but we can't rely on them, not yet anyway.
I can see the short term attraction of Waghorn as insurance as his ability is known.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Waghorn last season played 32 games 5 goals - Biamou played 36 goals 6 - nothing in it may as well have kept Biamou
Difference is Waghorn has previous for scoring double figures in this league. Biamou hasn’t done it in any league.

Waghorn had a bad season, Biamou had an average Biamou season

Legia Sky Blue

How many games did Godden play fully fit and to repeat myself we don’t play with a target man do you agree or not ?

Did you not see how we played when the St Andrews pitch cut up last season? Playing out from the back became difficult and we had to adapt to a more direct style, where Biamou was then used as a target man. I have little doubt that as next season progresses our pitch will also have its problems requiring us to adapt our game again and we will need a target man type forward, so I would be very surprised if a forward of that ilk is not brought in, regardless of whether Waghorn is signed.

CDK

Walker and godden we need 1 of em to remain fit most of the season to have a chance of one of em scoring 15 goals or a waghorn type to make it easier than last season and that's my concern our 2 out and out strikers.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Judging by the some of the reactions you’d think Waghorn is the worst player to have ever played in the championship. He’s got a better record than James Collins who some of you cried about us not signing

I here you, but at 31 he's not going to get any better, spend the money on someone younger. ☺

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

So your opinion is based on the fact that he is 31, no players have ever been any good after 31 have they

So who are you comparing him with.

Grendel

Users who are viewing this thread