Waggot: Mystery European defender to sign in the next 24 hours (1 Viewer)

skyblu3sk

DEFENDER ON CITY RADAR

COVENTRY City are poised to make their fourth signing of the summer today as manager Andy Thorn continues to strengthen his squad.
The player is understood to be a powerful centre-half from overseas who has impressed on trial this week and could be one of up to six new faces on show when the Sky Blues kick-off their pre-season campaign at Hinckley United tomorrow.

New signings John Fleck, Stephen Elliott and Kevin Kilbane are set to feature in the run-out at the Greene King Stadium along with midfielder Steve Jennings, who Thorn has been running the rule over along with two foreign players.

While the club are keen to keep their names under wraps at this stage to avoid the risk of others coming in to pinch them from under their noses, the Telegraph understands that they are from Europe.

“We are very, very close with one player and there has been significant interest in him from other clubs,” said the club’s development director Steve Waggott, who is hopeful that at least one deal can be tied up within the next 24 hours.

“We are working extremely hard with Andy to bolster the squad and we hope to have this deal done ahead of the friendly at Hinckley on Saturday.

“It’s been a very busy few weeks because

there is a lot of work to be done in rebuilding for next season but we are all very pleased with where we are at this stage.
“The next few weeks are going to be equally as busy as we try to put a squad together that can challenge in League One next season.“

Meanwhile, 27-year-old holding midfielder Jennings, who is available on a free transfer after parting company with Motherwell, has caught Thorn's eye this week.

“He's done well,“ said the City boss.

“He was a little behind on fitness but he's working hard and playing catch-up. We like what we've seen so far and we're looking forward to seeing him in a game.

“He'll play at Hinckley tomorrow. i'm taking two teams and i'll mix them up, so it won't be a first team and a reserve team. it will be a mixture of senior players and the development squad boys.

“The new signings will play as well as a few triallists.“

City warmed up for Saturday's opening pre-season friendly with an 11-a-side training match at ryton on Tuesday.

“They played 40 minutes each way and the tempo was really high, so i'm really pleased with how their fitness is coming on,“ revealed Thorn.

“And the really pleasing thing is that the following day everyone came in and there were no reports of strains or pulls.

“it has been a really tough two weeks for the lads and we'll complete the fortnight with a good workout at Hinckley. And once that's over we'll be concentrating on more ball work.

“We obviously travel up to Scotland on Monday when we'll have the three games up there to get plenty of pitch time into the players.“

CovisGod

Hmmm interesting time to be a Cov fan, I read these posts now and don't automatically dismiss them as "bollocks" glad Thorns working hard to get players in, shame we haven't been doing this for te last few seasons, maybe we wouldn't have dropped this far

pusbccfc

Buzzing!:D

CovisGod

Wow can't believe it nother 2 players potentially and RK still not gone. I'm getting butterflies about this season!

Another 3 players ! From reading that there's Jennings and two trilaists, one of which should sign today. If you see it says there could be 6 new players playing today - Fleck, Kilbane, Elliot, Jennings, Mr Euro CB and another one :)

D

Deleted member 4232

I'm officially going to get carried away.

Can't wait to hear the "dark side" of this story :jerkit:

Skybluewoody

Well considering they will probably be free agents , there are only 2 on the pfa list that are European. Both I imagine would have been on decent cash at there previous clubs. The two being aleksandar tunchev and tamas kadar. Then again it could be two we never ever heard of?

CW6

Well considering they will probably be free agents , there are only 2 on the pfa list that are European. Both I imagine would have been on decent cash at there previous clubs. The two being aleksandar tunchev and tamas kadar. Then again it could be two we never ever heard of?

They dont play overseas do they? Im hoping 2 things, number 1 is Pepe and number 2 its not Keoghs replacement.

kg82

I'd say it's more likely the players have been playing on the continent rather than in England?

Nick

Administrator
It does sound promising. Hopefully we will hear about it today.

The thing is, if it doesn't happen it just makes Waggot look like a fool for coming out and saying anything before it was a done deal.

Diehard Si

My mate has just text me with who he says it is.. I'm not repeating it tho as its that crazy I think he's winding me up.

In fact I definitely think he's winding me up... But on the 1% chance that he's not I won't say anyway incase it gets out and scuppers the deal. I'd rather it remain quiet and then seal the deal

/pointlesspost

ajsccfc

Oh wait, it says European. I was so excited about Bunce there too, the club's let me down again. Up yours Fisher, SISU out and so on

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
surely they are not bringing back Mo Konjic ? :D

sparky

Diehard si your mate might be right or wrong but at least give us the country where his from I'm guessing dutch

kg82

Italy

I still think it's a wind up

Hold on. I'm putting 2+2 together here and probably getting 5 but defender described as "powerful and commanding" and your mate saying Italian! Do his first and 2nd names begin with the same letter?

Diehard Si

Hold on. I'm putting 2+2 together here and probably getting 5 but defender described as "powerful and commanding" and your mate saying Italian! Do his first and 2nd names begin with the same letter?
No.

Dont get carried away on it anyway, my mate works for the club, picks up some gossip but he's also a bit of a wind up merchant.

CovisGod

But on the 1% chance that he's not I won't say anyway incase it gets out and scuppers the deal. I'd rather it remain quiet and then seal the deal

/pointlesspost

I'm sure all the scouts of big clubs are constantly watching our forum ! If we've currently got the lad on trial people know about it, I don't think mentioning names would funk things up too much !

Users who are viewing this thread