Match Thread vs Cardiff (A) 19/09/23 (3 Viewers)

jordan210

It's not in either of their games so quite strange to criticise them for it

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

One of them needs to step up. No point both playing deep and not even trying to go forward. Sheaf is also a DMC and tries to taker players on.

Issue might not be the players more the formation and managerial. As all we seam to have is defensive midfielders

BlueSkiesForever

Btw slight deviation from the Cardiff thread but I’ve only just realised how hard the next few months are going to be. The Huddersfield and QPR games are absolutely crucial if we don’t want to end up next to Boro.

From October onwards we face:

Blackburn (H)
Norwich (H)
Bristol City (A)
Rotherham (A)
West Brom (H)
Preston (A)
Stoke (H)
Millwall (A)
Plymouth (H)
Ipswich (A)
Birmingham (H)
Southampton (H)
Leeds (A)
Sunderland (A)

Realistically with the way we’re playing how many points do you expect we’ll get out of that lot? Maybe 12-15?? Can I just start wetting the bed now in advance? 😭😂

StrettoBoy

There seems to be an emerging consensus on here that we have a good choice of decent centre backs, lack creativity in midfield and - Godden apart - have strikers who can't score.

The logical conclusion is that we shouldn't be conceding too many but should struggle to score, yet the statistics say otherwise. We have only scored one fewer than Preston who are top and two fewer than Leicester, who most people think will be top at the end of the season. On the other hand about three-quarters of the division have conceded fewer than us.

I don't disagree with the emerging consensus to which I have referred but it's odd how things are going at the moment. I worry what will happen if (a) the defence doesn't tighten up and (b) Simms and Wright don't step up when - as will inevitably happen - Godden hits a lean patch.

Still, it's early days so fingers crossed that things will improve.

Brighton Sky Blue

There seems to be an emerging consensus on here that we have a good choice of decent centre backs, lack creativity in midfield and - Godden apart - have strikers who can't score.

The logical conclusion is that we shouldn't be conceding too many but should struggle to score, yet the statistics say otherwise. We have only scored one fewer than Preston who are top and two fewer than Leicester, who most people think will be top at the end of the season. On the other hand about three-quarters of the division have conceded fewer than us.

I don't disagree with the emerging consensus to which I have referred but it's odd how things are going at the moment. I worry what will happen if (a) the defence doesn't tighten up and (b) Simms and Wright don't step up when - as will inevitably happen - Godden hits a lean patch.

Still, it's early days so fingers crossed that things will improve.
We built our strong form last season on a mean defence. McNally and Doyle ended the season stronger than their replacements have started it is one factor, but giving away so much cheap possession also invites more pressure on the defence.

Offhegoes

With Sheaf out until November, we have to put Ayari or Palmer into central midfield for some creativity and then if we're sticking with the 2 up front, bring in Allen / O'Hare / Sakamoto to the AM position.
Personaly I would go back to the box, and play Eccles and Palmer as CMs and Allen & Ayari further forward.

Grendel

With Sheaf out until November, we have to put Ayari or Palmer into central midfield for some creativity and then if we're sticking with the 2 up front, bring in Allen / O'Hare / Sakamoto to the AM position.
Personaly I would go back to the box, and play Eccles and Palmer as CMs and Allen & Ayari further forward.

Palmer really?

Grendel

Oh your the guy who said he’s a fantastic player

Matt smith

Would like to see Robins go for this team against Hudderfield, with the presumption MVE is out.

Wilson
Eccles Labs Kitching Binks Da Silva
Kelly
Allen Ayari Sakamoto
Simms

I think Fadz may need a rest. Wright, Godden, Palmer & O'Hare gives us a strong bench.
That’s such a bottom end of the division team

johnwillomagic

Well that was pretty dreadful all in all last night and I think something needs to change,

From the back we were way to slow and ponderous in possession - if we play Wright we need to be a little bit more direct and the wing backs certainly need to push higher up the pitch and be far more brave going forward. Wilson wasn't great although tbh his protection for all three goals was shocking I did feel he started and stopped on third goal he was on a hiding to nothing there but may as well have continued pushing out by stopping his feet weren't planted and he was never gonna save anything in that position.

I actually thought Kelly and Eccles were OK but we cannot play both of them together - too similar if I'm being honest would play Kelly at present and drop Eccles just to take him out the firing line - I think Ayari & Allen for his energy have to come in. Palmer offered nothing on this game and needs to be benched for that performance at present he looks an impact sub at best or someone we bring on if winning and coasting as in that situation he would probably shine and flatter to deceive. Sakamoto showed promise going forward but weak defensivley has to play wide midfield with full back behind him or attacking midfield away from defence.

In attack people are knocking him but another two goals from Godden and he really looks our only goal threat currently.
Wright was very disappointing and sadly backed up his "donkey" tag last night. Sims didn't have long enough to make an impact but needs to start to be given a chance.

For Monday I would shake things up quite a bit and also ditch the wingbacks - I'd quite like to play a 4-3-2-1 formation.
I would put Sims up front as target man and play Godden and one other to play off him.

Collins GK
Bidwell LB
Thomas CB
Kitching CB
Milan RB
Kelly DCM
Ayaru CM
Allen CM
Godden ACM
Sakamoto ACM
Sims ST

Robins will probably name a side nothing like this but there we go.

Massive game on Monday need a performance and a win most importantly to get us back on track.

TomRad85

Please note i'm not saying sack Robins, but it would be really interesting to live in a world where you could see what another manager would do with this squad for a few games. Its lacking in places for sure but i can't think its as bad as it currently seems, so what could be done differently...

Brighton Sky Blue

Please note i'm not saying sack Robins, but it would be really interesting to live in a world where you could see what another manager would do with this squad for a few games. Its lacking in places for sure but i can't think its as bad as it currently seems, so what could be done differently...
Steve Cooper turned around that Forest side almost immediately which basically proved Hughton to be the problem. The parallels do make me wonder

SeaSeeEffCee

Btw slight deviation from the Cardiff thread but I’ve only just realised how hard the next few months are going to be. The Huddersfield and QPR games are absolutely crucial if we don’t want to end up next to Boro.

Blackburn (H)
Norwich (H)
Bristol City (A)
Rotherham (A)
West Brom (H)
Preston (A)
Stoke (H)
Millwall (A)
Plymouth (H)
Ipswich (A)
Birmingham (H)
Southampton (H)
Leeds (A)
Sunderland (A)

Realistically with the way we’re playing how many points do you expect we’ll get out of that lot? Maybe 12-15?? Can I just start wetting the bed now in advance? 😭😂
Our December is so grim.

TomRad85

Steve Cooper turned around that Forest side almost immediately which basically proved Hughton to be the problem. The parallels do make me wonder
Well Robins certainly has a lot more credit in the bank. No idea what kind of owner Doug will be regarding how ruthless he is with managers... if we're still this bad by xmas we might find out.

Grendel

Well Robins certainly has a lot more credit in the bank. No idea what kind of owner Doug will be regarding how ruthless he is with managers... if we're still this bad by xmas we might find out.

Well he will not want us near the bottom as we can’t get near relegation or that’s a disaster

Brighton Sky Blue

If we end up in a straight relegation battle with this level of expenditure it would take a very strong minded chairman not to pull the trigger. Though the 4 year contract does tilt it in his favour if it came to that.

Evo1883

Blackburn (H)
Norwich (H)
Bristol City (A)
Rotherham (A)
West Brom (H)
Preston (A)
Stoke (H)
Millwall (A)
Plymouth (H)
Ipswich (A)
Birmingham (H)
Southampton (H)
Leeds (A)
Sunderland (A)

On paper a relatively decent run tbh

Grendel

If we end up in a straight relegation battle with this level of expenditure it would take a very strong minded chairman not to pull the trigger. Though the 4 year contract does tilt it in his favour if it came to that.

There could be pressley like clauses in it

Brighton Sky Blue

There could be pressley like clauses in it
Maybe. If we find ourselves hovering above or in the drop zone by Christmas I think only financial compensation keeps him in the job. It’s a good set of players on paper with money in the bank still to spend in January and so we’d get decent applicants.

Skyblueweeman

According to @Martin180 we needed no more players and had a great squad so no worries
I mean to be fair, two days before the end of the transfer window, the majority were saying it was a great window. We all seemed excited by the players we brought in. Of the 11 who left, a number were dross who wouldn't get into the first team.

Losing Gus and seemingly not having someone lined up, has really kicked us in the nuts. And with Sheaf getting injured, that's a double kick. On paper, I still think we've got a decent squad, bar central midfield now where the Gus hole is getting bigger by the week.

Users who are viewing this thread