Very good Guardian article (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Vast majority of responses to the article have said it is very one sided yet Gilbert, Linnell and Maton are praising it. Speaks volumes about the role local media have played in this.
Linnell who was in a box with Hofmann the other week?

Johnnythespider

People have been informed , but some forget. The council talking to wasps was old news, discussed on here at the time, yet so many seemed to be surprised by it all these years later. Weird isn’t it?

I blame lots of people for the mess we’re in, but suspect that we will only start to properly recover when SISU leave, so, to me, they are the logical target.

Raising our plight? Not worth the effort then ? It’s possible we could still be playing in Northampton if no one “ got excited” about that. Just another throw away line you use same as your dig at the trust when they weren’t even mentioned.

You and peace can blame the council all you like, so best of luck with how that helps us. At least you’ll get a like from Torch...
It was news to me and most of the fanbase, if the fans had known about this at the time then there would have been an outcry against it, but of course it was hidden as those involved knew what the fans response to it would be.

peace ndlovu

giphy.gif

Is it really so difficult to understand that blaming the council for their role in this mess, does not rule out blaming SISU for theirs?

People have been informed , but some forget. The council talking to wasps was old news, discussed on here at the time, yet so many seemed to be surprised by it all these years later. Weird isn’t it?

I blame lots of people for the mess we’re in, but suspect that we will only start to properly recover when SISU leave, so, to me, they are the logical target.

Raising our plight? Not worth the effort then ? It’s possible we could still be playing in Northampton if no one “ got excited” about that. Just another throw away line you use same as your dig at the trust when they weren’t even mentioned.

You and peace can blame the council all you like, so best of luck with how that helps us. At least you’ll get a like from Torch...

Gazolba

Excellent article. Lays out the facts well.
But doesn't tell the cognoscenti anything we didn't already know.

joemercersaces

Laying out some, but not all, of the facts was once memorably termed being economical with the truth. I started finding it fashionable to apportion at least some of the blame to the council when it was revealed how duplicitous they had been in their early wooing of wasps, and when they started telling porkies about the requirement for Wasps not to shaft us being limited to 4 years.

olderskyblue

giphy.gif

Is it really so difficult to understand that blaming the council for their role in this mess, does not rule out blaming SISU for theirs?

Really? Is that how it works? If only I’d known that when I mentioned I blame lots of people (just for clarity that also means the council and pre SISU board members.

I hear that these articles don’t change anything anyway, yet the same people still want to pull them apart if they don’t criticise the council. Weird.

MalcSB

If someone publishes an analysis of how CCFC has got to this terrible situation, it should be comprehensive in terms of the contributors. People pull one sided reports apart because they cause people who are ignorant of all the facts to vent their spleen on only one of the guilty parties. It is obvious PR.

fernandopartridge

Ahh,but there's still an opportunity for the club to buy a half share. Are our owners prepared to do that?

Suppose it all boils down to envisaged outcomes as to when this all finally concludes. Some on here seem to thing Sisu gaining control of the Ricoh means club and stadia combined leads to a quick sale to more benevolent owners. I'd disagree. Think it far more likely they'd retain stadium ownership and sell the club thus at the mercy of any rent Sisu wishes to charge. You really wouldn't ever get rid of them then....
There is no such opportunity, where have you got that idea?

olderskyblue

If someone publishes an analysis of how CCFC has got to this terrible situation, it should be comprehensive in terms of the contributors. People pull one sided reports apart because they cause people who are ignorant of all the facts to vent their spleen on only one of the guilty parties. It is obvious PR.

Did you go Friday? Did you hear the chants? Who do you think is ignorant of the facts now?

Some still ignore them but that’s by choice, not ignorance.

cov soul

Normally like reading the Guardian but that’s a hugely one-sided piece. Wasps and the council being “reasonable”. Give over. As everyone says, SISU have done a lot wrong, but so have the other parties and to then go and brand them reasonable is a complete and utter joke.
??????????

Buster

You’d have to be a moron and hypocrite to think that an owner who has moved a club 100 miles from its home is a suitable custodian.
Or perhaps someone with enough backbone to consider the people of coventry are not be held to ransom by a hedge fund bleeding money from a local asset

Sick Boy

Or perhaps someone with enough backbone to consider the people of coventry are not be held to ransom by a hedge fund bleeding money from a local asset

No need, they’ve already been taken advantage of.

Imagine attempting to defend a sports team brought into the city from 100 miles away when there was already a rugby club here. And that’s not even before we look at the treatment of the city’s most successful sports team in history.

Nick

Administrator

What about the hedge fund that you support that hold to ransom and are trying to bleed money from a local asset? Do you think about that when waving your free flag?

The irony is dripping from your post. Slightly embarrassed you can't even see it but it just sums things up.

mark82

Keep seeing people say that Wasps are owned by a hedge fund. Not sure this is correct is it? Been pulled up on it myself before, and only thing I could find was them being owned by Eastwood.

peace ndlovu

Really? Is that how it works? If only I’d known that when I mentioned I blame lots of people (just for clarity that also means the council and pre SISU board members.

I hear that these articles don’t change anything anyway, yet the same people still want to pull them apart if they don’t criticise the council. Weird.

I replied to your earlier post because it concluded with "You and peace can blame the council all you like, so best of luck with how that helps us. At least you’ll get a like from Torch..."
So, from that I inferred that you haven't understood my position that, yes, I blame the council, but I also blame our owners.

To address your other point, I do feel that these articles have the potential to change things. That's why I get pissed off when they are poorly researched and unbalanced. The vast majority of Guardian readers won't be aware of the nuances of this situation, so I think most will interpret this article as insightful journalism.
Anyone that has been paying attention knows it is not.
If David Conn had written an article laying exclusive blame at the feet of the council and exonerating our owners it would have been equally inaccurate and misleading.

rondog1973

There's an 'entertainment' quota who just want to go, pretend they can see themselves on the telly, and just enjoy a load of people facing off against one another.

If we were in the top flight, we'd have a damned site more of them, and take more of them from Wasps.

There's a hardcore of people who support clubs till they die, but there's some who just want a good day out. If we're not about to offer that, they'll go to the alternative (Wasps) and vice versa, if Wasps aren't about.
That's still not removing support from us if they are floaters anyway. Compare and contrast, top flight Wasps nearly become English champions whilst at the Ricoh and they're still giving tickets away by the bucket load. We make a Wembley appearance in two 3rd rate contests and average 40,000.

Why on earth would you be insecure about it?

Sick Boy

That's still not removing support from us if they are floaters anyway. Compare and contrast, top flight Wasps nearly become English champions whilst at the Ricoh and they're still giving tickets away by the bucket load. We make a Wembley appearance in two 3rd rate contests and average 40,000.

Why on earth would you be insecure about it?

Us returning to the PL would be their worst nightmare, it suits them for us to be in the lower leagues. Also the extra money that it would bring it would mean that we could actually afford to build our own stadium and take away vital income from them.

rondog1973

Ha, a bit desperate isn't it to try and play a racism card?

giphy.gif

Seems like people like you are doing enough apologising for everybody.
Yes Nick, coz Gypo's, Pikey's, Knackers whatever you wanna call them are all the same aren't they? Hitler had the right idea with the gas chambers etc...

Nick

Administrator
Yes Nick, coz Gypo's, Pikey's, Knackers whatever you wanna call them are all the same aren't they? Hitler had the right idea with the gas chambers etc...

It's OK, you can blame me for some ISIS terrorism too while you are at it if it means you can try and discredit for pointing your shit out.

rondog1973

It's OK, you can blame me for some ISIS terrorism too while you are at it if it means you can try and discredit for pointing your shit out.
Are you going to apologise for referring to an ethnic minority in a derogatory way, yes or no?

Sick Boy

I have a small gap between my two front teeth and come from an Irish family...i’m currently building a sign on a bedsheet with “down with this sort of thing”

Nick

Administrator
Are you going to apologise for referring to an ethnic minority in a derogatory way, yes or no?

For using the word "gypo"? I think I will just sit and watch at your desperation to try and discredit about something.

It's up there with CJ trying to play a disability card because I asked him if he didn't hear something said in the same room he was in.

rondog1973

I have a small gap between my two front teeth and come from an Irish family...i’m currently building a sign on a bedsheet with “down with this sort of thing”
From an Irish family too kid, you of all people should not be making light of this racism, because it is and you know it.

rondog1973

For using the word "gypo"? I think I will just sit and watch at your desperation to try and discredit about something.

It's up there with CJ trying to play a disability card because I asked him if he didn't hear something said in the same room he was in.
Nothing like it at all. A few years back, we won 2-1 at Barnsley with Freddie Eastwood being amongst the scorers. On the CWR phone in a quite drunk caller rang in and said "I know he's a Gypo an that, but he played brilliant today". The caller was immediately cut off and an apology issued straight away.

Not from you though hey, you daft racist...

Grendel

From an Irish family too kid, you of all people should not be making light of this racism, because it is and you know it.

Are you on the wind up?

Grendel

Nothing like it at all. A few years back, we won 2-1 at Barnsley with Freddie Eastwood being amongst the scorers. On the CWR phone in a quite drunk caller rang in and said "I know he's a Gypo an that, but he played brilliant today". The caller was immediately cut off and an apology issued straight away.

Not from you though hey, you daft racist...

Eastwood got done for fly tipping once

Users who are viewing this thread