VAR tonight (2 Viewers)

Otis

I reckon as this tournament progresses to the KO stages, VAR will be the catalyst for a team to storm off the pitch in protest........
Teams are already reacting badly towards it and also in their demanding for it.

Only a captain should be allowed to talk tomorrow ref about any potential VAR incident and then once the decision of any VAR panel has been made, any further protest towards the ref should result in a yellow card for dissent.

I am still completely baffled by the Japanese goalie the other day. Seemed to be protesting the ball hadn't gone over the line after it was proven that it clearly had, clear as day.

Sick Boy

The standard of referees in the WC has been dreadful and I hope VAR is never introduced across football as a whole, I suspect I will end up disappointed on that one though.

Otis

Only just got in, whats happened now?
Was watching the Spain Morocco game, so can't say about the Portugal match.

VAR replay in the Spain match after a goal was ruled out for offside.

Went to VAR and it was confimed it was onside. VAR worked there just fine.

Otis

Just seen the Iran penalty. Joke doesn't even begin to describe it.

Terrible decision by the ref. Final say is down to the ref.

Otis

I agree with this guy.....

Except that he was entirely wrong. His team and his fellows players were moaning about a decision that was quite rightly reversed by VAR.

The correct decision was arrived at, but the Moroccans simply wouldn't accept it. They were feeling aggrieved and yet it was the right decision.

That was VAR working properly.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Except that he was entirely wrong. His team and his fellows players were moaning about a decision that was quite rightly reversed by VAR.

The correct decision was arrived at, but the Moroccans simply wouldn't accept it. They were feeling aggrieved and yet it was the right decision.

That was VAR working properly.

That’s the one for the week.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I don't think there is anything wrong with VAR, it's the implementation of VAR. That's what makes it a farce.

So everything is wrong with VAR until they sort the processes out for its use.

We all knew this would happen.

You’ve just got to hope it doesnt become a factor in England if/when they go out.

Otis

So everything is wrong with VAR until they sort the processes out for its use.

We all knew this would happen.

You’ve just got to hope it doesnt become a factor in England if/when they go out.
It shouldn't have been used for the World Cup. Should have done it for one of these Confederation Cup type smaller competitions.

Should have laid down some ground rules too. Every single player is now going up to the ref begging for VAR.

Should have made it captains only, or managers asking the 4th official.

Quite like this American football/cricket idea mooted on here. You get two appeals per side and that's it.

Last edited:

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

It shouldn't have been used for the World Cup. Should have done it for one of these Confederation Cup type smalled competitions.

Should have laid down some ground rules too. Every single player is now going up to the ref begging for VAR.

Should have made it captains only, or managers asking the 4th official.

Quite like this American football/cricket idea mooted on here. You get two appeals per side and that's it.

Yep be my idea 1 challenge you get the decision ‘right’ you keep it.

Then it begs the question how long does a team have ‘15 seconds like Cricket’? When does play stop to review etc ?

chiefdave

You know what's coming don't you? We'll qualify for the knockout stage then go out thanks to a dodgy VAR decision.

Otis

Screenshot_2018-06-26-12-33-55.png

I agree on both those points.

Let's use VAR for clear mistakes, i.e. inside the area/outside the area, out of play/not out of play, clear foul/clear dive etc. and not for the subjective stuff.

I would have sent Ronaldo off last night, but many are saying a yellow was sufficient, so last night that should have just gone with the ref's call.

Either has to go that way or you go for the challenge route and you are allocated 1 or 2 challenges per match, or 1 per half.

Only problem with that I can foresee is in terms of teams deliberately using that near the end of the game simply in order to stop the flow of the game if they are on the rack.

The biggest problem for me this World Cup is the inconsistency of the refs.

We had a great ref against Panama who immediately identified the manhandling of players in the box at corners. Against Tunisia however, the ref there seemed to just let everything go.

Had we had the Panama game ref for the Tunisia game we would have had at least two penalties there too.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Hmmm... VAR got it right again.

Who would have thunk it.

Hmmmm...and that kind of misses the point....

VAR has got some decisions correct & some incorrect.......a bit like...oh, i don't know.....a referee.....

except now we have the added layer of delays, appeals, whining & debate that VAR creates......

the VAR decisions will continue to be inconsistent & controversial.....and if it becomes inbedded into the top level game, you will see more & more decisions deferred to VAR just because its there....the refs will fall under ever increasing pressure to review all decisions, regardless of whether they need reviewing or not....

Its technology for the sake of it, its to the detriment of the game & further divorces it from traditional & grass roots football.

lifeskyblue

Yes var got that right. Referee in this game looks sensible so far and dealing with issues well
But have to say the Danny Murphy point about ball direction was wrong. The ball moved direction after defender hit it onto attacker rather than the defender moving ball out in the tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingy

Yes var got that right. Referee in this game looks sensible so far and dealing with issues well
But have to say the Danny Murphy point about ball direction was wrong. The ball moved direction after defender hit it onto attacker rather than the defender moving ball out in the tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On first look I was convinced Mane moved it Lol. :-/

Otis

Hmmmm...and that kind of misses the point....

VAR has got some decisions correct & some incorrect.......a bit like...oh, i don't know.....a referee.....
Hmm, have to disagree with that to a degree, JHB. Surely if VAR can correct an obvious mistake and that one today was an obvious mistake, it has its merit.

Not talking about ones that are subjective. If it's subjective stick with the refs decision, but if VAR can correct incorrect decisions it should be embraced.

The players surrounding the ref is in reality a completely different issue and not really to do with VAR at all, if you know what I mean. We all know that whatever rule they would bring in players would be protesting about it.

That is a disciplinary issue and can easily be clamped down upon by the authorities.

I am all for VAR if it is used properly and today showed that it came to the right decision.

As I say, steer clear of the subjective ones, but if a player is clearly offside when given on, or onside when given off, or a defender clearly wins the ball cleanly when a penalty is given, that can only be a good thing.

Mucca Mad Boys

People expect the VAR system to be perfect from the offset. Any system that requires interpretation is going to be imperfect. Even rugby’s TMO system gets it wrong occasionally, despite getting it right +90% of the time.

They need better protocols for referrals and decision making imo.

In rugby union, they let play carry on, and the referee asks the TMO to look for an infringement. Then, if they’re allowed to award the try or a recommendation for a red/yellow card and so on. Personally, I’d like to see the referee mic’d up so we can hear the reasoning behind decisions because I don’t know how the Iran penalty was allowed v Portugal.

This said, VAR has got most of the big calls right so it’s a brilliant thing for football. It’s about time they modernised the sport in comparison to rugby, Americans football, cricket and other sports.

Otis

People expect the VAR system to be perfect from the offset. Any system that requires interpretation is going to be imperfect. Even rugby’s TMO system gets it wrong occasionally, despite getting it right +90% of the time.

They need better protocols for referrals and decision making imo.

In rugby union, they let play carry on, and the referee asks the TMO to look for an infringement. Then, if they’re allowed to award the try or a recommendation for a red/yellow card and so on. Personally, I’d like to see the referee mic’d up so we can hear the reasoning behind decisions because I don’t know how the Iran penalty was allowed v Portugal.

This said, VAR has got most of the big calls right so it’s a brilliant thing for football. It’s about time they modernised the sport in comparison to rugby, Americans football, cricket and other sports.
Well said, Mucca.

We all know what players and managers are like. They will moan when we use it and if we don't use it they will be calling refeering decisions a disgrace.

We need to learn from this and implement the system in the right and proper manner.

VAR should be used for

Offisides where the officials have give it as on and goal has resulted
Onsides where the officials have give it as off and the goal has been ruled out
Fouls in the penalty area that were in fact clean tackles
Tackles that were given as clean but were in fact fouls and a penalty should have been awarded.
Things missed by the ref (shirt pulling and holding in the area, off the ball elbows, kicks and spits)

I already think the handball rule is a joke, because one ref will give it, another will not. It's not purely subjective either. Some refs will give a pen simply for the ball hitting someone's hand and that clearly is not the rule.

I therefore think, unless the ref has missed it, handballs need to be left on the field of play and to the ref, unless the ref has made a very clear and obvious mistake.

VAR can work. Should never have trialled it here. That was daft in the extreme and it should have been used in a pre-season tournament or at a youth level. The other thing that has to happen is that only the captain or manager of a team can ask for VAR referral. Anyone else demanding it is immediately booked.

Mucca Mad Boys

Well said, Mucca.

We all know what players and managers are like. They will moan when we use it and if we don't use it they will be calling refeering decisions a disgrace.

We need to learn from this and implement the system in the right and proper manner.

VAR should be used for

Offisides where the officials have give it as on and goal has resulted
Onsides where the officials have give it as off and the goal has been ruled out
Fouls in the penalty area that were in fact clean tackles
Tackles that were given as clean but were in fact fouls and a penalty should have been awarded.
Things missed by the ref (shirt pulling and holding in the area, off the ball elbows, kicks and spits)

I already think the handball rule is a joke, because one ref will give it, another will not. It's not purely subjective either. Some refs will give a pen simply for the ball hitting someone's hand and that clearly is not the rule.

I therefore think, unless the ref has missed it, handballs need to be left on the field of play and to the ref, unless the ref has made a very clear and obvious mistake.

VAR can work. Should never have trialled it here. That was daft in the extreme and it should have been used in a pre-season tournament or at a youth level. The other thing that has to happen is that only the captain or manager of a team can ask for VAR referral. Anyone else demanding it is immediately booked.

They need standardised VAR rules accross all major leagues so it’s not a case of different referees accustomed to different protocols and so on. I appreciate rugby union can be far more centralised because there’s far less teams, but football needs lay out the VAR system better in future tournaments.

The handball law needs to redefined because the penalty for Iran was technically a handball in the sense that it hit his arm. But, it wasn’t deliberate, wasn’t stopping he flight of the ball heading towards goal. There was a similar incident that was a handball that wasn’t deliberate but was heading towards the goal which is more justifiably given as a penalty (think it was Denmark v Australia).

It’s been a great few days for VAR, big decisions going Columbia’s and Korea’s way. Without it, Germany could’ve sneaked a late winner whilst Korea were denied a legitimate goal and Senegal could’ve won (or drew) with a goal scored from a penalty that was an excellent last ditch tackle. Which I thought was a dead certain penalty until it was slowed down on the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread