VAR tonight (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

Actually it does. The ruling is deliberate handball.
Honestly doesn’t. It’s a subjective call. Was at my local referees association meeting last month discussing the hand ball rule for 90 minutes. Talked about selling the decision which was a new one on me. You can have handball given for a non deliberate act

Covstu

The problem is they don't seem to be using the system correctly. Its only supposed to be overturned if its an clear error. Don't see how you apply that to the red.
i think you can debate the decision all day long, I have seen it three times outside of the game and still unsure. Bit more than a Yellow and not quite a red (orange card??). The whole thing was a farce, Millwall and Swansea didn't have it and Wolves and Watford had it?! All of which had some decisions that would have been altered by VAR (not sure about Watford as I didn't watch it). If we cannot be consistent then you have to turn it off for all, it would be like removing penalties in one game and not the other?!
I have never been a fan, don't like that teams cannot celebrate a goal before being validated by VAR as the ref seems to overly nervous to make a decision by himself (don't blame them to be honest), I don't like the delays and the fact that it now seems to be the choice for everything rather than key decisions. Its only going to get worse.

Paul Anthony

i think you can debate the decision all day long, I have seen it three times outside of the game and still unsure. Bit more than a Yellow and not quite a red (orange card??). The whole thing was a farce, Millwall and Swansea didn't have it and Wolves and Watford had it?! All of which had some decisions that would have been altered by VAR (not sure about Watford as I didn't watch it). If we cannot be consistent then you have to turn it off for all, it would be like removing penalties in one game and not the other?!
I have never been a fan, don't like that teams cannot celebrate a goal before being validated by VAR as the ref seems to overly nervous to make a decision by himself (don't blame them to be honest), I don't like the delays and the fact that it now seems to be the choice for everything rather than key decisions. Its only going to get worse.

But to balance that out, look at the Bradford game. They didn't have it and it took all of 6 minutes to decide if it was a goal for Oxford, a goal kick retake for Bradford, and between the referee and two linesmen they made a mess of it.

What I would say though is that if it is going to be used in a competition, it should be all games in that competition using it or not at all.

Covstu

But to balance that out, look at the Bradford game. They didn't have it and it took all of 6 minutes to decide if it was a goal for Oxford, a goal kick retake for Bradford, and between the referee and two linesmen they made a mess of it.
get that and we will always have these types of issues but that's isolated incidents rather than what now is the norm.

Paul Anthony

get that and we will always have these types of issues but that's isolated incidents rather than what now is the norm.

I do tend to agree that this situation with teams not being able to celebrate goals is probably my biggest gripe about it. It does take a lot of the joy out of celebrating when it's being reviewed. That's something that feels awkward just watching on a TV screen, so it must be even more awkward for the people actually there. Especially when they can't hear what the process is, or why there's a review.

CanadianCCFC

Chelsea just scored a clear offside goal. Need VAR surely. They’ve got it in MLS and it really doesn’t take that long for the ref to jog over and check.

Reactions: vow

vow

FA have decided not to use VAR in the Championship play-off final, i don't know about L1 & L2?

Poor decision imo as they are v important games to get right!

ovduk78

There was a goal scored by St Etienne last night that was originally given offside by the linesman but correctly overruled by VAR. The decision took ages as the Nimes players were arguing that they stopped playing but there is no way the goalkeeper or any defender saw the flag or could have got the ball anyway and Nimes managed just to get the one player booked and the manager talked to by the ref. The goal put St Etienne ahead with just 8 minutes to go and the tackles & elbows were flying in for the remainder of the game!

Paul Anthony

Not having that was handbAll in spurs match

Think there is a difference between how players view it and how officials view it. How can a defender control himself in that situation if his arms are planted to his side? He'd likely do a collarbone or dislocate his shoulder.

Sky Blue Pete

Definite penalty for me. Clearly using his arm to increase the size of the barrier he was making and a yellow card. Anything else and the ref supervisor would be mentioning it in the report

SBAndy

Definite penalty for me. Clearly using his arm to increase the size of the barrier he was making and a yellow card. Anything else and the ref supervisor would be mentioning it in the report

What you’re struggling to separate here is the silly interpretation of the laws and the reality that people need to use arms for balance etc.

Try sliding as if you’re blocking a ball but keep your arms exactly by your sides.

Sky Blue Pete

What you’re struggling to separate here is the silly interpretation of the laws and the reality that people need to use arms for balance etc.

Try sliding as if you’re blocking a ball but keep your arms exactly by your sides.
Nope I’m not. Most refs would give that 80% I reckon

Users who are viewing this thread