VAR needs an overhaul (1 Viewer)

Travs

I totally agree its here to stay.

Doesn't alter the fact it really should be consigned to history. If we accept its here to stay then the entire fabric of watching a game live at the ground is altered (very much for the worse)

Otis

Doesn't alter the fact it really should be consigned to history. If we accept its here to stay then the entire fabric of watching a game live at the ground is altered (very much for the worse)
Yeah, that's why it needs to change.

Really, on Sunday, what should have happened is that we saw or heard nothing. VAR watched the incident in the background, saw it was too close to call (should have been an absolute instantaneous decision) and it stuck with the on-field.

We wouldn't have even known anything about it then.

VAR is always there in the background. In so many cases it should be not seen and not heard.

Just use it for major errors. Clear and obvious errors.

wingy

I think I agree with this but unfortunately it’s not going anywhere now, especially with the amount of money involved in the game.
You just can't keep saying this or anyone else for that matter, it is not fit for purpose and has to end, simple as just like they introduced it in the first place.

Otis

You just can't keep saying this or anyone else for that matter, it is not fit for purpose and has to end, simple as just like they introduced it in the first place.
Just can't see it ever happening, Wingy. They were screaming blue murder for it, because they said refs were getting so many things wrong.

Gone past the point of no return now.

Otis

Why is that then??
It won't be ditched because Premier League managers were screaming blue murder that officials were costing their team points and making too many mistakes.

I think if we ditched VAR it would then be utter carnage and the pressure on refs would be even more unsurmountable. Refs are still really getting it in the neck WITH VAR, so you can only imagine how bad it would be if it was all back on them again.

It won't get ditched.

VAR takes so much pressure off refs.

See below....

Howard Webb on the idea to scrap VAR: "It would be foolish to take away a tool that can remove clear errors from the game - almost 40 this season. Usually, we 've seen around 100 situations rectified through the use of VAR. Why would you want to take that away & leave those errors in the game?"

"We are always looking for ways we can improve the use of it, through consistent application in the subjective world that football is and the enhanced use of technology.

"I understand delays can cause frustration but sometimes they are unavoidable when you are doing the job diligently.

"It protects the game from some clear errors and the thought of going into some big games without that facility there, I don't think many referees would want that."

On on the narrative how the ref standards are worse than before due to VAR

"I don't agree with that. People can have a fond recollection of the past. The game is spoken about and scrutinised more and is probably less forgiving than ever. That factors into people's perceptions.

"There have been errors that live large. We have to accept that. I always hold my hands up if I get something wrong. Over time, you work to reduce them. But the reality is pretty positive.

"Some of the initiatives in place through extra investment take some time to permeate through. We have seen officials come out of the development group taking charge of their first Premier League games. That is happening at every level."

messiahrobins

i go to alot of NFL games over the pond, their version of VAR totally destroys the atmosphere at games and that is a stop start game anyway.
VAR has been an abject failure, but it is here to stay as it benefits the Elite clubs which was the whole idea behind it.

messiahrobins

Interesting read.

Wright was a foot onside, there is physically no way Bassaka could be ahead of Wright after the ball was played as his back was toward his own goal while Wright was moving forward at pace.
The fact the Mail has even had to publish this shows how big a deal this is.
The other big issue is this incident, and the Forest comments will put so much doubt in fans minds that there is the prospect of serious crowd disorder at games if fans perceive the decision is dubious. A hornets nest has now been well and truly stirred.

Travs

It won't be ditched because Premier League managers were screaming blue murder that officials were costing their team points and making too many mistakes.

I think if we ditched VAR it would then be utter carnage and the pressure on refs would be even more unsurmountable. Refs are still really getting it in the neck WITH VAR, so you can only imagine how bad it would be if it was all back on them again.

It won't get ditched.

VAR takes so much pressure off refs.

See below....

Howard Webb on the idea to scrap VAR: "It would be foolish to take away a tool that can remove clear errors from the game - almost 40 this season. Usually, we 've seen around 100 situations rectified through the use of VAR. Why would you want to take that away & leave those errors in the game?"

"We are always looking for ways we can improve the use of it, through consistent application in the subjective world that football is and the enhanced use of technology.

"I understand delays can cause frustration but sometimes they are unavoidable when you are doing the job diligently.

"It protects the game from some clear errors and the thought of going into some big games without that facility there, I don't think many referees would want that."

On on the narrative how the ref standards are worse than before due to VAR

"I don't agree with that. People can have a fond recollection of the past. The game is spoken about and scrutinised more and is probably less forgiving than ever. That factors into people's perceptions.

"There have been errors that live large. We have to accept that. I always hold my hands up if I get something wrong. Over time, you work to reduce them. But the reality is pretty positive.

"Some of the initiatives in place through extra investment take some time to permeate through. We have seen officials come out of the development group taking charge of their first Premier League games. That is happening at every level."

The Premier League can kiss my arse to be frank.

Rules of football should be applicable at all levels. VAR "benefits" (a very dubious claim) the Premier League and continental/international competition only. How can you have a situation where different matches in the same competition are subject to different rules and standards.

Its a crock of shit... just further opening the chasm between Premier League and real football.

David O'Day

The Premier League can kiss my arse to be frank.

Rules of football should be applicable at all levels. VAR "benefits" (a very dubious claim) the Premier League and continental/international competition only. How can you have a situation where different matches in the same competition are subject to different rules and standards.

Its a crock of shit... just further opening the chasm between Premier League and real football.
it's not going anywhere

by your logic goal line tech should go as well

Sky Blue Pete

Robinshio

The officials then go frame-by-frame to identify the first point of contact of the passing act, not the point of release

Why?
that sounds odd - lets say you can balance the ball on your foot for 10 seconds, and then flick it over - that means the offside review is at the start of those 10 seconds not when the pass was made - the pass is only made when it leaves the players boot - And i can guarantee that when the ball left O hare's boot , haji was well onside

Sky Blue Pete

that sounds odd - lets say you can balance the ball on your foot for 10 seconds, and then flick it over - that means the offside review is at the start of those 10 seconds not when the pass was made - the pass is only made when it leaves the players boot - And i can guarantee that when the ball left O hare's boot , haji was well onside
It’s just bollox mate the ifab lawbook mentions that for a touch not for a pass
I genuinely think it’s fucked up and the law needs clarifying. How the chuff is the ball passed before the balls been passed utter bollox

jordan210

Interesting read.

I do enjoy the bit where it says sources close to the PGMOL say it was correct.

What another ref like on ref watch and BT who have never said a decision is wrong and will die on that hill no matter what.

mid it’s correct show us the video,audio and lines from the booth

Sky Blue Pete

I do enjoy the bit where it says sources close to the PGMOL say it was correct.

What another ref like on ref watch and BT who have never said a decision is wrong and will die on that hill no matter what.

mid it’s correct show us the video,audio and lines from the booth
Tell us why they use the first point of contact not release too
It’s just bollox
It’s not corruption it’s plain wrong and it sticks in the throat
How the players move on is bizarre
I really hope Doug is chewing the fa bollox off and secretly gets a couple of milli

Travs

it's not going anywhere

by your logic goal line tech should go as well

I know its not going anywhere. I said that above.

Doesn't mean people can't say that its awful and should be gone..... we dissect Mark Robins substitutions to the Nth degree on here every week and they're not getting changed in hindsight either.

Sky Blue Pete

i would argue the 1st point of contact of the "actual pass" is here - anything before is just control
It’s absolutely the point of release it’s mad there’s even the suggestion that the first point of contact should be used
I get when a striker is running on to the ball or might be beneficial but for this scenario it’s just wrong

Bugsy

quick question: would Wright be given offside had we had the semi automated offside technology, what they are introducing next season?

Frostie

quick question: would Wright be given offside had we had the semi automated offside technology, what they are introducing next season?
Yes. You'll get even more close offsides given against the attacking team next season. The margin of error is removed.

Calista

There are temptations in forever moaning that we were robbed, but Haji definitely looks offside from this angle. A couple of frames later and he's miles ON, but at this moment a line through Haji's left foot would take you roughly to the linesman's foot on the far side of the pitch. If anyone wants to draw lines on it making him onside, feel free to do so.

Robinshio

There are temptations in forever moaning that we were robbed, but Haji definitely looks offside from this angle. A couple of frames later and he's miles ON, but at this moment a line through Haji's left foot would take you roughly to the linesman's foot on the far side of the pitch. If anyone wants to draw lines on it making him onside, feel free to do so.
i would take Haji;s foot to Wan bissakas knee or shoulder, and then it becomes much closer . Also see the position of the linesmans eyeline looking along the line - not his foot

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Still no explanation of why the line is drawn over Wan-Bissaka's foot though.
Actually there's a more important issue that most people have missed. The still image shows Callum OHare with the ball at his feet . This is not the moment the ball was passed to Wright
On that tiktoc video the camera position. Is excellent. OHare scooped the ball to Wright. It wasn't a chip. There was no backlift .
That still image is premature. The ball left O'Hare's foot when his foot was off the ground.
It may be half a second difference but it would easy to see that Wright was onside.

Sky Blue Pete

Actually there's a more important issue that most people have missed. The still image shows Callum OHare with the ball at his feet . This is not the moment the ball was passed to Wright
On that tiktoc video the camera position. Is excellent. OHare scooped the ball to Wright. It wasn't a chip. There was no backlift .
That still image is premature. The ball left O'Hare's foot when his foot was off the ground.
It may be half a second difference but it would easy to see that Wright was onside.
Which is where it’s utter bollox.
I’ve shared the ifab law and the difference it makes to the club
They really should make sure there’s a change in the law. The pass isn’t made with the picture they use. People will tell you it’s the first touch that matters for the pass which is simply ludicrous
Nothing will change on the result
We should receive some payoff but definitely the law should change for a scooped pass or even a pass. The pass is made when the ball is released

napolimp

This is finally a reasonable argument, and someone actually approaching the situation sensibly. There's been this obsession on here over the last 2 days of dissecting how many mm Wright was on/off-side. Most likely the still used by VAR showed him as offside. Much more pertinent is which still is actually used to make the decision, and at which moment should the decision be made.

That aside, the system doesn't work anyway as the sport is built around scoring goals, so leeway should be given to the attacking team. Unless there's clear daylight then I don't see why it should be a problem.

Last edited:

Gynnsthetonic

Which is where it’s utter bollox.
I’ve shared the ifab law and the difference it makes to the club
They really should make sure there’s a change in the law. The pass isn’t made with the picture they use. People will tell you it’s the first touch that matters for the pass which is simply ludicrous
Nothing will change on the result
We should receive some payoff but definitely the law should change for a scooped pass or even a pass. The pass is made when the ball is released
Should be able to ride a motorbike between the players too, someone's big toe offside captured on a computer is not sport

Calista

i would take Haji;s foot to Wan bissakas knee or shoulder

If they change the rule to the moment when the ball leaves the passing player’s foot, 9 times out of 10 it will disadvantage the attacking side. On this occasion the existing policy ruined our day though.

Users who are viewing this thread