VAR needs an overhaul (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Of course. But the bad rep lands with the shitty ref not the entire footballing institution.

Look I don’t think it works in football - goal line technology yes but VAR no. I don’t also believe if the ref hadn’t given the penalty VAR would have agreed.

We are stuck with it and at elite level there is no going back and will probably get worse

shmmeee

Look I don’t think it works in football - goal line technology yes but VAR no. I don’t also believe if the ref hadn’t given the penalty VAR would have agreed.

We are stuck with it and at elite level there is no going back and will probably get worse

Oh I agree. Just not sure as a fan I’m a fan of elite level football. Never seem to enjoy international games or PL football.

It’s really not even about getting the right decision. The wait at Wolves and the removal of the goal yesterday just killed the experience.

Everyone who isn’t a fan needs to stop bitching about refereeing decisions and crack on really. SBT is right.

Grendel

And that's part of the problem, game 2 weeks ago, no VAR, game yesterday, VAR, it’s a nonsense.

I get it in different leagues but what I can’t get is how you can have the anomaly in the cup

If the game was a QF and played at old Trafford United win. Played at the CBS we win.

That is stupid

Grendel

The rules on this seem clear enough. The goal was given therefore it has to be a clear and obvious error to overturn the goal.

it doesn’t

shmmeee

The fact we’re all sat round arguing over what it’s even there for and what the rules are show how ridiculous it is. There was a manager on about the FA Cup changes saying basically “they make rules up all the time no one understands and we just have to get on with it”.

Not just VAR but offsides, handballs, timewasting, diving, yellows in shootouts, rules for cards between cup and league games, celebrations, etc etc just seems the people who make the rules keep fucking it up and are incapable of coming out with common sense rules most in the game agree with and understand.

MalcSB

It’s hard not to believe it’s corrupt at this point but we’d not have got the penalty if that was the case.
There would have need to be plausible deniability not to allow the pen. The ball struck his arm which was way from his body and went downwards rather than carrying through to Simms to score with a diving header

Sick Boy

The fact we’re all sat round arguing over what it’s even there for and what the rules are show how ridiculous it is. There was a manager on about the FA Cup changes saying basically “they make rules up all the time no one understands and we just have to get on with it”.

Not just VAR but offsides, handballs, timewasting, diving, yellows in shootouts, rules for cards between cup and league games, celebrations, etc etc just seems the people who make the rules keep fucking it up and are incapable of coming out with common sense rules most in the game agree with and understand.
To be honest, if the penalty had been given against us, I’d have thought it was overly harsh. At this point the rules just seem open to interpretation.

Grendel

To be honest, if the penalty had been given against us, I’d have thought it was overly harsh. At this point the rules just seem open to interpretation.

At the time I must admit I didn’t have a clue why the penalty was given

clint van damme

Half the recent rule changes have been to cover up officiating and VAR screw ups.

clint van damme

Has there been an effective rule change that made the game better and was clearly understood since the pass back rule?

Displaying injury time on the scoreboard and not sure that counts, cant think of another and there's been a glut of them recently.

Sky Blue Pete

They hand over responsibility to the third umpire even when it’s obviously in.

In other words they opt out in case they are wrong, no assistant is ever making a decision that tight when someone does it for them
Yep I agree but they do normally give a soft signal by raising the flag

jamboy

I'm surprised. Not much has been made of the previous mistakes Michael Salisbury (the VAR official) has made, and the PGMOL needed to apologise for. He was dropped following mistakes from premier league fixtures in the 22/23 season and again this season. In August, he failed to intervene and award a penalty against Utd when the referee that day missed that Onana had clattered into a Wolves forward.

I wouldn't agonize over horizontal lines when the VAR official who made the call regularly makes controversial mistakes. I've barely scratched the surface above, search Google for “Michael Salisbury PGMOL” and read for yourselves.

The match is over and the result can't be changed. The PGMOL could look at it though, and if a mistake was made, apologise as they've repeatedly had to.

Gynnsthetonic

It would be a hell of a lot easier to accept if anyone could prove there was 1/2”
You can't, you can't tell the precise moment O' Hare released the ball, nothing in that is clear and obvious, we're talking millimetres and milli seconds here not seconds and metres

Gynnsthetonic

The West Brom v Rotherham game last week, the ref gave a pen after the ball hit the Rotherham player in the face on the edge of the D, ridiculous desicion and what VaR should be intended for, I know it seems like sour grapes here but split second offsides are always in doubt, if Haji was a metre off I could take it, this I can't and will take some getting over

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

In the stadium at the time it didn't bother me that much, mainly because I (naively) assumed that the decision was made pretty quickly so it must have been relatively obvious. After the game to see how close it was, and then the frame they've used and where they've put the line for AWB I've just felt more and more annoyed.

I'm trying to be sanguine about it, but remembering the utter euphoria of the celebration, with almost no-one even contemplating an offside and having that taken away because of potentially a VAR error it's hard. It feels like the correct decision has been overturned by an error.

I'm still not going to be calling for the end to the use of technology in football, but fuck me they need to find a better way of using it.

Gynnsthetonic

In the stadium at the time it didn't bother me that much, mainly because I (naively) assumed that the decision was made pretty quickly so it must have been relatively obvious. After the game to see how close it was, and then the frame they've used and where they've put the line for AWB I've just felt more and more annoyed.

I'm trying to be sanguine about it, but remembering the utter euphoria of the celebration, with almost no-one even contemplating an offside and having that taken away because of potentially a VAR error it's hard. It feels like the correct decision has been overturned by an error.

I'm still not going to be calling for the end to the use of technology in football, but fuck me they need to find a better way of using it.
Feel the same, after the play off I thought promotion will come sooner or later, to have the chance to reach the FA Cup Final I may not see it again in my lifetime (52). The frame is not accurate to the millimetre or to the millisecond when the ball was released, its inconclusive, if he was a yard offside I can understand, this I can't 😭

SkyblueTexan

Don’t think there’s any place for var , go back to the ref and linesman doing their jobs
Problem is many of the refs and linesmen suck. A better blended approach using both VAR and refs/linesmen has to be adopted with marginal decisions giving the benefit of the doubt to the attacking/defending team after careful consideration of the circumstance/outcome.

SkyblueTexan

The West Brom v Rotherham game last week, the ref gave a pen after the ball hit the Rotherham player in the face on the edge of the D, ridiculous desicion and what VaR should be intended for, I know it seems like sour grapes here but split second offsides are always in doubt, if Haji was a metre off I could take it, this I can't and will take some getting over
WBA sure do get the rub of the green a lot. Against QPR, a WBA player punched a goal-bound effort off the line and the ref didn't see it.

Travs

But common sense tells you, you can look at an image and see that two objects are close to each other and would need a much longer and closer look to see which is ahead of which.

It's very simple really. Give them 10, 15, 20 seconds to look at it, max .

Instantly yesterday, you could see that needed a line to see if he was offside or not. If you need the line, don't draw the line.

Pretty obvious when you need to draw a line or not isn't it.

If it looks really close, stick with the referee's decision.

I don't even agree with this to be honest.

Even if they decided to allow the goal on sunday, the moment has gone. The Simms goal against Wolves was a similar feeling (but to a lesser extent).

Chuck VAR in the bin. It only benefits geeks who only watch the game on tv. Yet again no thought for those who go to the grounds.

Otis

I don't even agree with this to be honest.

Even if they decided to allow the goal on sunday, the moment has gone. The Simms goal against Wolves was a similar feeling (but to a lesser extent).

Chuck VAR in the bin. It only benefits geeks who only watch the game on tv. Yet again no thought for those who go to the grounds.
Not going to happen, so we have to work with it to make it better.

VAR is here to stay.

Needs a drastic overhaul though.

Users who are viewing this thread