USSR invades Ukraine. (14 Viewers)

CCFCSteve

It’ll be sorted.

Sure I’ve heard that he might’ve already rowed back a bit on the threat. Basically they’ll accept dollars and euros and then exchange for roubles themselves (which makes sense 🤷‍♂️). He’s like a child flailing around at the moment. Get to the negotiating table and do a deal you absolute tool

fernandopartridge

Sure I’ve heard that he might’ve already rowed back a bit on the threat. Basically they’ll accept dollars and euros and then exchange for roubles themselves (which makes sense ). He’s like a child flailing around at the moment. Get to the negotiating table and do a deal you absolute tool
Yeah, was struggling to understand the logic of it really as ultimately the value of the Rouble is going to be hugely constrained by it being capable of buying very little. Suppose they might want a foreign reserve account that isn't under sanction control but still that's useless if it can't buy anything.

duffer

Ironically this isn’t true.

Which is presumably why Marty hasn't responded.

I'm all in favour of a bit of healthy cynicism, and it never hurts to consider alternative sources, but clearly some people have watched 'The X-Files' thinking it was a documentary.

shmmeee

Which is presumably why Marty hasn't responded.

I'm all in favour of a bit of healthy cynicism, and it never hurts to consider alternative sources, but clearly some people have watched 'The X-Files' thinking it was a documentary.

The old adage “don’t open your mind so far your brain falls out” comes to mind. No source is perfect, but unless you’re willing to absolve yourself from all discussions of world events you’re going to have to pick a source at some point and generally professional accountable reporters beat randos on TikTok or Twitter every day of the week.

Kieranp96

It's going to happen. Russia can't hold all the towns they capture. Going to be a lot of toing and froing I think.
Yes but Ukraine hitting pool depots and ammo depots inside Ukraine shows that Ukraine are not even close to breaking and are fighting back with some huge steel balls I may add.

wingy

Make a Sharp getaway.
Ah well only two injuries,I guess it's not like they brought down an intercontinental flight with 300 people aboard.

skybluetony176

Running the risk of promoting Marty levels of fake news here but apparently, that’s apparently, Russia state media is calling on Americans to overthrow Biden and reinstall their partner Trump. Surely being that blatant about it is shooting yourselves in the foot. Although shooting yourself in the foot is standard for Russia these days so maybe it is true. Obviously it’s true that Russia see Trump as an asset to them but calling him your partner?

xcraigx

Ukraine's top security official has now denied Ukraine was behind the attack today. The Russians are saying the oil was for civilian use, so not a military target.

Meanwhile, China are being blamed for a large cyber attack on Ukraine before the war started.

wingy

Running the risk of promoting Marty levels of fake news here but apparently, that’s apparently, Russia state media is calling on Americans to overthrow Biden and reinstall their partner Trump. Surely being that blatant about it is shooting yourselves in the foot. Although shooting yourself in the foot is standard for Russia these days so maybe it is true. Obviously it’s true that Russia see Trump as an asset to them but calling him your partner?
It's not that outlandish to assume that a hefty chunk of US citizens would go along with this IMO.

RegTheDonk

They helped get him elected apparently.

PVA

Interesting thread from a bloke who's been spot on so far. Suggests things are about to get worse for Russia

tisza

Absolutely disgusting. Some of what’s being reported on Twitter is vile, including systematic executions and rape, including of children.
Whole thing shocking. Latest one reported here (some videoed) is that Russians are taking kids hostage to stop them being attacked as they retreat. Kids being made to sit on top of tanks, bonnets of lorries etc to stop them being attacked.

fernandopartridge

Interesting thread from a bloke who's been spot on so far. Suggests things are about to get worse for Russia

I read it and thought it was a bit weird, is he trying to claim that because there is now explicit evidence of death rather than implicit that it changes to the fundamental reasons behind the west's response?

duffer

Glory to Ukraine 😉

Unless I'm missing something, Ukraine has every right to attack this facility, though denying it perhaps makes some sense. Russia has illegally invaded Ukraine, and there's no way the military have their own oil refineries. Saying it's purely for civilian use is ludicrous.

Degrading Russia's logistical capability is surely legitimate from Ukraine's perspective - Russia claims to have just been doing exactly the same in Odessa.

PVA

I read it and thought it was a bit weird, is he trying to claim that because there is now explicit evidence of death rather than implicit that it changes to the fundamental reasons behind the west's response?

I think it's more in reference to the scenes coming out of Bucha isn't it?

Obviously we already knew that Russia have killed civilians in the air strikes and artillery hits, but this is evidence of civilians being rounded up, tied up and shot, some of them raped, some decapitated.

That's not to say that civilians killed in air strikes is OK, because clearly it's not, but this seems like a step up in the barbaric stakes.

shmmeee

Can’t we just flood the place with drones in Ukraine colours but controlled from here/the US/Europe? Who would know?

PVA

I don't think attack drones have the range that would be needed. Bayraktar has a range of around 100 miles and the US Predator C Avenger has a range of around 400 miles. What with the fighting now moving East I would think you would need to be based in Ukraine to be able to control them.

The US controlled drone missions in Afghanistan from Las Vegas.

xcraigx

The US controlled drone missions in Afghanistan from Las Vegas.

Yes, I was totally wrong! The problem with the type of drones Ukraine are likely to have available is their flight range is very short and as such they will have to be within around 50 miles of their target which until recent Russian retreats will have meant a lot of their fighting force has not been within range. Assuming Russia does continue to fall back then it makes more of their assets targetable.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Unless I'm missing something, Ukraine has every right to attack this facility, though denying it perhaps makes some sense. Russia has illegally invaded Ukraine, and there's no way the military have their own oil refineries. Saying it's purely for civilian use is ludicrous.

Degrading Russia's logistical capability is surely legitimate from Ukraine's perspective - Russia claims to have just been doing exactly the same in Odessa.
While you do make a decent point, it could also be rather playing into Russia's narrative. If Ukraine attack something in Russia Putin can use that to fit into their Ukranian aggression argument, even though in the grand scheme of things you could argue it's entirely justified.

At this stage I just wouldn't want to give Putin anything at all he might be able to spin to his favour.

PVA

Truly awful stories and photos coming out of Bucha. Absolutely horrendous.

Clearly two wrongs don't make a right but Russian POWs won't be getting such favourable treatment from now on you feel.

Users who are viewing this thread