US Open (1 Viewer)

David O'Day

Just a hypothetical but... an Afghan refugee comes over at age two... surely they'd be more British if they feel it (and why wouldn't they when Britain would be the only thing they'd know), than Afghan and feeling an affinity with the Taliban and IS!

His logic means Sir Mo Farha isn't British

Skybluefaz

That girl is special - Henman Hill, Murray Mound - soon to become Raducanu Ridge?

giphy.gif

stay_up_skyblues

Don’t profess to be a follower of tennis outside of Wimbledon but some achievement for the young lady to make the final. Well done that woman 👏

Sky Blue Harry H

Don’t profess to be a follower of tennis outside of Wimbledon but some achievement for the young lady to make the final. Well done that woman 👏

Ditto - early days, but would think she's probably odds on for Sports personality of the year already! (Edit: apparently was 9/1 yesterday, now down to evens !!))

jimmyhillsfanclub

won in straight sets all the way to the final & at no stage bottled it......that doesn't sound very british

Last edited:

rob9872

Still no British Rob?
No. Even if she wins multiple slams. You can keep baiting like the poundshop Grendel you've become, but still no and having watched her and enjoying Tennis I probably have more invested in her than some cheap IRA supporting troll.

I'm made up for her, amazing achievement, seems really level headed and a great kid too, but to change my stance based on success would be an awful thing to do, British if you win but not if you lose. No issues if she wants to call herself British and play as a Brit knowing the trappings and sponsorship that will follow as first female slam champ in nearly 50 years - good luck to her I'd do the same, but in her heart I'd be surprised if she doesn't think differently.

oscillatewildly

Don't want to put the dampeners on this - and I think living here since 2 yrs old qualifies her as 'British', so no issues there but is this a 'LCFC winning the Prem' type moment - in as much as all of the 'big hitters' failed to show?
Serena Williams all but retired, Naomi Osaka with her continuing mental health issues and Sabalenka falling one short.
She is clearly an immense talent and I hope she goes on to win the title but is this one of those brief (probably never to be repeated) window of opportunity moments?

Sky Blue Harry H

Don't want to put the dampeners on this - and I think living here since 2 yrs old qualifies her as 'British', so no issues there but is this a 'LCFC winning the Prem' type moment - in as much as all of the 'big hitters' failed to show?
Serena Williams all but retired, Naomi Osaka with her continuing mental health issues and Sabalenka falling one short.
She is clearly an immense talent and I hope she goes on to win the title but is this one of those brief (probably never to be repeated) window of opportunity moments?

Not for me - she is 18, likely to improve and, if you've been watching her, she can play.

Otis

If she moved here when she was 2 and has British citizenship, she's British.

NorthernWisdom

I don’t disagree I do baulk at the notion Kevin Pieterson is though
Yeah it's slightly different if you move purely for a sporting passport - a number of Norwegian long distance runners who'd been Kenyan until a few years previous spring readily to mind.

Of course sometimes it's because there's no funding in home nations, and that's maybe an issue to address.

Users who are viewing this thread