Up to three million extra UK residents (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

So it was announced today on the BBC. They're throwing their hat in.

I've since seen it on Sky. Probably a better alternative for a lot of people given it location though the same article said China was going to refuse to let people leave.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I've since seen it on Sky. Probably a better alternative for a lot of people given it location though the same article said China was going to refuse to let people leave.
It's going to get messy. You'd have thought that perhaps China might want to get shot of those who object to the new legislation and allow them to leave . Perhaps its a deliberate move to show that they are in control and any subsequent relaxation will be seen as a "goodwill" gesture on their part.

NorthernWisdom

Anyone who protests about any foreigners coming in.

We surely owe it to the people of Hong Kong to give them safe residence.
I'd hope that the scale we're talking here makes such people stop and think the next time there's a mindless rant about immigration. Those numbers are trivial, for the everyday oppressed, compared to this. This highlights just how small they are in reality.

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I'd hope that the scale we're talking here makes such people stop and think the next time there's a mindless rant about imnmigration. Those numbers are trivial, for the everyday oppressed, compared to this. This highlights just how small they are in reality.
So you "hope" there will be big numbers coming over so it justifies something else . You hope that, for example, 3 million arrive from Hong Kong so that the usual figures of between 200 - 400,000 arriving most years from all over the world will look like peanuts and will no longer attract the kind of objections that it currently does.
It's very sad that you wish for huge numbers of people to feel so threatened for their liberty just to somehow satisfy your personal opinions on immigration policy.
I hope the Chinese renage on their policy and the people of Hong Kong feel that they can stay.
If not, we need to help as best we can. It's not about any personal political opinion. It's about doing the right thing.

Brighton Sky Blue

So you "hope" there will be big numbers coming over so it justifies something else . You hope that, for example, 3 million arrive from Hong Kong so that the usual figures of between 200 - 400,000 arriving most years from all over the world will look like peanuts and will no longer attract the kind of objections that it currently does.
It's very sad that you wish for huge numbers of people to feel so threatened for their liberty just to somehow satisfy your personal opinions on immigration policy.
I hope the Chinese renage on their policy and the people of Hong Kong feel that they can stay.
If not, we need to help as best we can. It's not about any personal political opinion. It's about doing the right thing.

This is right. We also heard many, many times that 500 million people could be allowed into the UK because of freedom of movement. We all knew it was bollocks but it didn't stop the argument being used countless times. The real question is why has no government managed to get net immigration below 100,000 despite promising every year to do it.

shmmeee

I take it this is a "bait the brexiteers" thread.
You need to grow up. What's happening in Hong Kong is pretty awful. Exceptional circumstances. We should help them and let those who want to come here do so.

Not like say Syria, which lets be honest was what drove Brexit.

Ring Of Steel

He is saying nothing of the sort. What he is saying is that this should put things in perspective, ie you get huge outcry & horror when massively smaller numbers of people come in, yet here we are talking about the same number of people as the entire West Midlands potentially coming in. The inference being that you should maybe think twice before launching into another anti-immigration monologue, because its not actually very many people at all you're talking about, no matter what Nigel Farage tells you.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I'd hope that the scale we're talking here makes such people stop and think the next time there's a mindless rant about immigration. Those numbers are trivial, for the everyday oppressed, compared to this. This highlights just how small they are in reality.
Nope . You want a big influx just so that you can make a political pont . Shame on you. You couldn't give a shit about the Hong Kong people at all.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I take it this is a "bait the brexiteers" thread.
You need to grow up. What's happening in Hong Kong is pretty awful. Exceptional circumstances. We should help them and let those who want to come here do so.

So are places like Syria and Yemen. Far more serious and awful situations we've directly or indirectly helped to cause. Should we help them and let those that want to come here do so?

I think it's the correct move, even though it will anger China. But those that voted Tory for Brexit and stronger immigration laws are not going to be pleased that we've just offered to take in over a decades worth of immigrants (not just asylum seekers) in one go. Although I'm sure they'll somehow find a way to separate this from their usual opinions on asylum.

But to the HK residents - beware Brits bearing gifts. Don't forget Windrush - they were invited too.

skyblue1991

Genuine question:

What benefit would this have to the UK, considering the unemployment rate will rise once furlough is ceased? Or is there an ulterior motive?

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Ring Of Steel

Genuine question:

What benefit would this have to the UK, considering the unemployment rate will rise once furlough is ceased? Or is there an ulterior motive?

Ulterior motive apart from what? You surely don't think this is being done out of kindness or friendship

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

wingy

Genuine question:

Did see something about giving them a region and making it a Freeport.

NorthernWisdom

Ulterior motive apart from what? You surely don't think this is being done out of kindness or friendship
tbf, traditionally Johnson is very liberal in his attitude to immigration. This is far more the Johnson prior to his stance on Brexit, and his rhetoric there. It's interesting in its own way... although given he didn't realise that people with leave to remain in the UK didn't necessarily have access to benefits...

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Exccellent. Hopefully not from Syria either. If so, we'll get on famously :)
..and if he doesn't agree with you, then that's his problem not yours. After all, you're always right.

Evo1883

Just over 20k people offered protection by the UK in the last year. Nothing compared to this. No reason to complain about 20k

I'm not complaining about anything, merely pointing out we do help refugees... Our offering help to Hong Kong is an entirely different situation

NorthernWisdom

I'm not complaining about anything, merely pointing out we do help refugees... Our offering help to Hong Kong is an entirely different situation
Not really. It's only different in the same v way b somebody from Sudan is persecuted in a different way to somebody from Syria.

If you support us helping people in need from any country I have no issue whatsoever :)

Evo1883

Not really. It's only different in the same v way b somebody from Sudan is persecuted in a different way to somebody from Syria.

If you support us helping people in need from any country I have no issue whatsoever :)

I generally don't mind us helping people... Anybody.. Within reason.
Think that's as reasonable a reply as I could offer :)

shmmeee

Britain since 2016 has taken in more refugees from outside the EU than any other EU state... I think we do our bit

You for a source for that? Also 2016 is a very weird cut off considering the migrant crisis started a couple years prior to that.

Evo1883

You for a source for that? Also 2016 is a very weird cut off considering the migrant crisis started a couple years prior to that.

No specific reason for a 2016 cut off, it was just the dates that full fact. Com threw at me.
I may or may not be 100% correct or incorrect according to this, who knows, we do our bit anyway is the point.
Down the article we have claims made from 2016 to July 2019 .
E UK’S INDEPENDENT FACT CHECKING CHARITY

1. Home
  2. Immigration
  3. Asylum seekers and refugees

How many refugees does the UK take in?

16th Aug 2019

Claim
In 2017 the UK resettled more refugees from outside Europe than any other EU member state.

Conclusion
Technically correct, but resettled refugees are only a subset of all refugees a country might take in. Overall, Germany, France, Austria and Sweden all granted asylum to more refugees than the UK did in 2017.

“In 2017 the UK resettled more refugees from outside Europe than any other EU member state (Eurostat figures).”

Migration Watch, 13 August 2019

In response to a journalist tweeting that “the only refugee the British government wants to support is a cartoon bear”, the think tank Migration Watch claimed that the UK resettled more refugees from outside Europe than any other EU member state in 2017. The government has previously made a similar claim: "Since 2016, Britain has resettled more refugees from outside Europe than any other EU state”.

Both statements are correct, but there’s some important context which many people might not have picked up from the wording.

The term “resettled” is very important here. “Resettled refugees” are not all refugees which a country might take in. It refers to refugees who were resettled in a new country as part of a specific scheme run by that country. Most refugees arrive in the EU as asylum seekers, not as people being resettled as part of a scheme.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I was thinking about this and wondered where there was enough land... I thought Wales
East Anglia. The fens, Lincolnshire.

Users who are viewing this thread