University of Warwick - Ccfc mentioned (1 Viewer)

Marty

And isn’t the planed tram line going along the Kenilworth road too the university ?

Can't seem to find anything regarding the proposed routes for this side of the city, would have thought they'd be better off running the trams through Earlsdon though?

chiefdave

And isn’t the planed tram line going along the Kenilworth road too the university ?
There's the light rail system which will serve the uni, there's also a planned rail station for the new housing development which will be a few mins walk away and there's already plenty of buses that serve the uni. With the new junction off the relief road think its about a good a site as you'll get for accessiblily.

Obviously we'd all love a ground in the city centre but there's a lack of suitable sites and supportive council.

Skyblueweeman

That was the one they were going to build on the landfill site wasn't it?

Fratton is their best option but they've shot themselves in the foot forcing the local council to allow a change of use so they could sell the land next to the ground to be a massive Tesco. Don't think they even got the money as it went to a property developer who 'helped' their trust takeover. That would have given them room to expand and modernise.

Yeah that's the one. The area is going to be turned into a nature reserve eventually.

I remember when that big Tesco was built and thought it would limit development going forward. In a way, I'm glad they're staying at FP...such an atmospheric ground and different to the typical bowl new builds. It could hamper them if they want a long term stop in the top flight with limited attendances.

KenilworthSkyBlue

There's the light rail system which will serve the uni, there's also a planned rail station for the new housing development which will be a few mins walk away and there's already plenty of buses that serve the uni. With the new junction off the relief road think its about a good a site as you'll get for accessiblily.

Obviously we'd all love a ground in the city centre but there's a lack of suitable sites and supportive council.

The roads around the university are a bit of a nightmare when the slightest bit of traffic builds up though - Gibbet Hill Road especially. The relief road should help with that though.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I thought it was ambitious enough when they suggested Arena 2000 would have a retractable roof and a sliding pitch but a floating Eco stadium is next level!

Can't turn down planning permission if there's no plot of land

giphy.gif

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

They were then going to go for a £600m on the outskirts on Horsea Island but that was canned.

They've just announced this week a £10m redevelopment of Fratton Park although it's not going to increase capacity that much from 19,700 to 'rise above 20,000' which makes it sound like it'll only just be over 20,000. More a modernisation than increasing capacity as such but think they'll be staying at FP for the forseeable.

Perhaps ours could be on Horseshit Island?

mr_monkey

Chairman Tim Fisher said "The new CCFC stadium at the Warwick Uni site will be the first of its kind in the world, and completely carbon neutral. It will be totally invisible from all angles, the whole project will use zero energy, and the building itself will be constructed entirely from fresh air."

Oh dear

steve cooper

Chairman Tim Fisher said "The new CCFC stadium at the Warwick Uni site will be the first of its kind in the world, and completely carbon neutral. It will be totally invisible from all angles, the whole project will use zero energy, and the building itself will be constructed entirely from fresh air."
The only true bit of that is "it wil be totally invisible from all angles"

clint van damme

Can't seem to find anything regarding the proposed routes for this side of the city, would have thought they'd be better off running the trams through Earlsdon though?

I think that's what they'll attempt.
With the big development on Albany Rd being supposedly car free they'll need to improve transport links somehow

Grendel

Why so angry that there seems to be movement on the new stadium?

There is more chance of your bowels moving if you lived on Big Macs for a month

mr_monkey

There is more chance of your bowels moving if you lived on Big Macs for a month

Oh I agree it's still likely not to happen, but there is more chance of it happening today than there was yesterday after this announcement (a very small chance but it's still an improvement)

I just find it amusing that the same people kick off everytime there is something positive posted about the stadium (or our owners in general)

chiefdave

With the big development on Albany Rd being supposedly car free they'll need to improve transport links somehow
Wasn't the idea with the Ricoh that transport was going to be 'green' hence the lack of parking spaces. We all know how that worked. Took them years to open a train station we can't use and the bus services from around the city stopped after the first couple of seasons.

clint van damme

Wasn't the idea with the Ricoh that transport was going to be 'green' hence the lack of parking spaces. We all know how that worked. Took them years to open a train station we can't use and the bus services from around the city stopped after the first couple of seasons.

I think the difference this time is we're talking about improving links to the campus as a whole and I expect something to happen regardless of whether the stadium gets built or not.

slowpoke

They were then going to go for a £600m on the outskirts on Horsea Island but that was canned.

They've just announced this week a £10m redevelopment of Fratton Park although it's not going to increase capacity that much from 19,700 to 'rise above 20,000' which makes it sound like it'll only just be over 20,000. More a modernisation than increasing capacity as such but think they'll be staying at FP for the forseeable.
Good to hear that Fratton Park is Jem of a ground up there with Craven Cottage. I put Goodison Park in that too but sadly that’s going.

Sky Blue Pete

I would like to hear some comments from those people that said we were only doing this to raise the pressure on getting a good long term deal at the ricoh. Is that still the tactic chaps?

SBT

I would like to hear some comments from those people that said we were only doing this to raise the pressure on getting a good long term deal at the ricoh. Is that still the tactic chaps?

I think there are many reasons to believe the new stadium project isn't a genuine endeavour, and even more reasons to believe this latest iteration of the plan is going nowhere quickly. Today's announcement from Warwick doesn't change my mind on any of that.

We're still waiting for the latest update from Boddy and co, which we were promised "early" this year - it's now the middle of June, and almost a full year from the project being first announced. What gives?

mr_monkey

I think there are many reasons to believe the new stadium project isn't a genuine endeavour, and even more reasons to believe this latest iteration of the plan is going nowhere quickly. Today's announcement from Warwick doesn't change my mind on any of that.

We're still waiting for the latest update from Boddy and co, which we were promised "early" this year - it's now the middle of June, and almost a full year from the project being first announced. What gives?

Delays due to a global pandemic?

Don't get me wrong I still think there is more chance of it not happening than it does but this stuff today gives me more hope that it will

mark82

Think there will be an update soon. We're at the Ricoh for at least 7 years anyway. Personally, now we're back at the Ricoh I'd rather they just tell us when there's something worth telling.

SBT

Delays due to a global pandemic?

Don't get me wrong I still think there is more chance of it not happening than it does but this stuff today gives me more hope that it will

Pandemic delays is a pretty lame excuse after almost a year, especially when the project itself was apparently hatched during the thick of it.

Ultimately, I just don't see why anyone would give this club the benefit of the doubt when it comes to anything involving stadium construction. Fool me once etc.

mr_monkey

Pandemic delays is a pretty lame excuse after almost a year, especially when the project itself was apparently hatched during the thick of it.

Ultimately, I just don't see why anyone would give this club the benefit of the doubt when it comes to anything involving stadium construction. Fool me once etc.

Because its basically a completely different group of people than last time

Because their actions of the last few years have shown that they have learnt from their mistakes

Because its known that decisions have been massively delayed due to the pandemic

If it was big Tim up front and center I'd tend to agree with you but this has already got further than the last effort so there is also that

(But don't let facts get in the way of your but Sisu agenda ;) )

Users who are viewing this thread