University of Warwick - Ccfc mentioned (2 Viewers)

Sky Blue Pete

Pandemic delays is a pretty lame excuse after almost a year, especially when the project itself was apparently hatched during the thick of it.

Ultimately, I just don't see why anyone would give this club the benefit of the doubt when it comes to anything involving stadium construction. Fool me once etc.
That wasn’t the question. It was if the tactic was to put pressure on what is it now?

SBT

Because its basically a completely different group of people than last time

Because their actions of the last few years have shown that they have learnt from their mistakes

Because its known that decisions have been massively delayed due to the pandemic

If it was big Tim up front and center I'd tend to agree with you but this has already got further than the last effort so there is also that

(But don't let facts get in the way of your but Sisu agenda ;) )

It’s the same group of people doing the same thing they did 7 or 8 years ago. The only difference is that this time we’re doing ok on the pitch rather than tumbling through the leagues, so it’s easier to smile along.

I’ve no agenda with SISU, but if they want to prove they’re serious this time, they should show us something, and they’ve shown us fuck all. But maybe that’s just a coincidence and this really is the time they will actually build a stadium, promise….

SBT

That wasn’t the question. It was if the tactic was to put pressure on what is it now?

Well if they come out now and abandoned the new stadium project (or admitted it was all a sham) that wouldn’t exactly help their future negotiations would it?

Real or not, we have a clear incentive to at least keep up the pretense of a new stadium project, both to keep Wasps’ future offers competitive and to reassure the EFL we have a long-term plan. All we’d have to do would be to knock out a press release every six months, so a fairly cheap strategy - maybe even a convincing one going by some people on here. It’s not even the first time we’ve tried it!

mr_monkey

It’s the same group of people doing the same thing they did 7 or 8 years ago. The only difference is that this time we’re doing ok on the pitch rather than tumbling through the leagues, so it’s easier to smile along.

I’ve no agenda with SISU, but if they want to prove they’re serious this time, they should show us something, and they’ve shown us fuck all. But maybe that’s just a coincidence and this really is the time they will actually build a stadium, promise….

Ah shit I forgot boddy was here last time and we announced a piece of land and a partnership with one of the leading universities in the country

My mistake

Sky Blue Pete

You know that’s not true don’t you? I don’t think a stadium is going to be built but the plans are completely different

Sky Blue Pete

Well if they come out now and abandoned the new stadium project (or admitted it was all a sham) that wouldn’t exactly help their future negotiations would it?

Real or not, we have a clear incentive to at least keep up the pretense of a new stadium project, both to keep Wasps’ future offers competitive and to reassure the EFL we have a long-term plan. All we’d have to do would be to knock out a press release every six months, so a fairly cheap strategy - maybe even a convincing one going by some people on here. It’s not even the first time we’ve tried it!
Ok that’s an answer. So each time something happens you can say it means nothing it’s still part of the keeping wasps on their toes. As Mark says let’s see what the club say about this next step.

SBT

Ah shit I forgot boddy was here last time and we announced a piece of land and a partnership with one of the leading universities in the country

My mistake

Not that Boddy supposedly has much to do with this stadium project if some are to be believed anyway, but no - last time it was apparently two plots of land that we were in negotiations to buy, and it was one of the world’s largest real estate companies who had signed up to come along for the ride.

It’s the same script with a few key names changed, until we see otherwise.

SBT

Ok that’s an answer. So each time something happens you can say it means nothing it’s still part of the keeping wasps on their toes. As Mark says let’s see what the club say about this next step.

Each time something happens? Nothing has happened - that’s my point. Let’s see what the club say indeed, but weren’t we supposed to hear that “early” in 2021?

mr_monkey

Not that Boddy supposedly has much to do with this stadium project if some are to be believed anyway, but no - last time it was apparently two plots of land that we were in negotiations to buy, and it was one of the world’s largest real estate companies who had signed up to come along for the ride.

It’s the same script with a few key names changed, until we see otherwise.

Yet others say he is heavily involved, it's almost like you pick your "facts" to suit your point of view and ignore everything else isn't it 😉

SBT

Yet others say he is heavily involved, it's almost like you pick your "facts" to suit your point of view and ignore everything else isn't it 😉

What your point? That the combined might of Dave Boddy and the Warwick Uni eco-park is an unstoppable stadium-building force?

Grendel

My mistake

Whats Boddy got to do with anything? He’s not even a board member and has zero influence in these matters

mr_monkey

What your point? That the combined might of Dave Boddy and the Warwick Uni eco-park is an unstoppable stadium-building force?

No it's just that it is different to last time that's all and not exactly the same people and the same situation as you claimed earlier (glad we got there eventually, that was hard work)

mr_monkey

Whats Boddy got to do with anything? He’s not even a board member and has zero influence in these matters

Other than being central to the talks you mean.... I really don't understand your irrational hatred of him, the joy stuff I get but not the stuff against boddy

SBT

No it's just that it is different to last time that's all and not exactly the same people and the same situation as you claimed earlier (glad we got there eventually, that was hard work)

Think Boddy has done a good job running the football club, but the idea that he’s been the missing magic ingredient to getting a new stadium built all along is fanciful at best.

chiefdave

Now we're back at the Ricoh they can bang on about a stadium as much as they want. Not sure I really buy that the press release today from Warwick Uni is part of some grand plan to put pressure on Wasps in 2031.

What I don't get is why Warwick Uni are onboard with this. Their plan today for a massive new park involve working around a stadium site. Why would they let that interfere with their own plans if they didn't believe the club was serious?

Sky Blue Pete

Now we're back at the Ricoh they can bang on about a stadium as much as they want. Not sure I really buy that the press release today from Warwick Uni is part of some grand plan to put pressure on Wasps in 2031.

What I don't get is why Warwick Uni are onboard with this. Their plan today for a massive new park involve working around a stadium site. Why would they let that interfere with their own plans if they didn't believe the club was serious?
Yep me too

mr_monkey

Because Sisu are masters of manipulation (as they have proven time and time again) and are obviously stringing the uni along

Come on mate, it's so easy to see 😉

SBT

From the Warwick press release: “The new proposed stadium for Coventry City Football Club (first announced last year) would be located alongside, and in addition to, the proposed eco park area.”

They make it clear the stadium plans are supplementary to the new park, not an integral part of it. It’s also the only part of the project they refer to as something that “would be” part of the final design, rather than “will be”. They’re deliberately pointing out this project doesn’t depend on a new CCFC stadium - which strikes me as strange considering we would typically be considered the anchor tenant/headline attraction for a project of this scale. For the stadium believers, what’s the explanation for that?

mr_monkey

From the Warwick press release: “The new proposed stadium for Coventry City Football Club (first announced last year) would be located alongside, and in addition to, the proposed eco park area.”

They make it clear the stadium plans are supplementary to the new park, not an integral part of it. It’s also the only part of the project they refer to as something that “would be” part of the final design, rather than “will be”. They’re deliberately pointing out this project doesn’t depend on a new CCFC stadium - which strikes me as strange considering we would typically be considered the anchor tenant/headline attraction for a project of this scale. For the stadium believers, what’s the explanation for that?

Errrrmmmm planning permission amongst many other things 🤣

Stop trying to reach and read things in a certain way to fit your agenda, just sit back and enjoy the ride as it's going to get very interesting (again I don't think it's going to happen but I find the hatred for anything seemingly positive about it bewildering)

Sky Blue Pete

There are no stadium believers

Irish Sky Blue

Errrrmmmm planning permission amongst many other things 🤣

Stop trying to reach and read things in a certain way to fit your agenda, just sit back and enjoy the ride as it's going to get very interesting (again I don't think it's going to happen but I find the hatred for anything seemingly positive about it bewildering)
How can you be positive about something that you don't think will happen? If you don't think it will happen doesn't this also mean that you think Sisu are again stringing people along?
Also I am sure Boddy himself has stated that he is not involved in anyway with the new stadium.
For what it's worth, as we are now back in Coventry, I am quite relaxed about whether this is another Sisu scam or not. The next few years will reveal the truth.

Reactions: SBT

Sky Blue Pete

How can you be positive about something that you don't think will happen? If you don't think it will happen doesn't this also mean that you think Sisu are again stringing people along?
Also I am sure Boddy himself has stated that he is not involved in anyway with the new stadium.
For what it's worth, as we are now back in Coventry, I am quite relaxed about whether this is another Sisu scam or not. The next few years will reveal the truth.
That’s how I feel. However this isn’t Sisu’s announcement it’s the universities. I’m excited by their plans

Grendel

Other than being central to the talks you mean.... I really don't understand your irrational hatred of him, the joy stuff I get but not the stuff against boddy

He will not be central to any talks and will have zero influence on any outcomes. He’s essentially a commercial manager with an inflated title - it’s absurd to suggest he’s going to have any influence on this - not that “this” is anything

shmmeee

I want it dig into the ground with a grass roof. That would be amazing.
Because its basically a completely different group of people than last time

Because their actions of the last few years have shown that they have learnt from their mistakes

Because its known that decisions have been massively delayed due to the pandemic

If it was big Tim up front and center I'd tend to agree with you but this has already got further than the last effort so there is also that

(But don't let facts get in the way of your but Sisu agenda ;) )

I thought it was Fisher who was leading the stadium stuff?

capel & collindridge

When did we announce a plot..?

In Sisu season, which is practically every day, someone announces a plot every bloody day!

I'm not exactly a Stadium believer (why build a new one when you already have one that should belong to the club) but the plan is credible. All the early objections on this forum were that the University weren't really on board, or else that they were being deceived by Sisu's false promises. The later objections have focused more on how complicated the planning applications would be and how massive and impractical the stated infrastruture plans would be.

These latest announcement offer a credible development of the plans for a modern, climate-crisis-aware infrastructure that doesn't rely on Sisu at all. Isn't it great news that the stadium is not seen as the sole income provider?

Would be funny if Cov Rugby Club got promoted and took up Warwick Uni's offer of a stadium to match!

NorthernWisdom

I want it dig into the ground with a grass roof. That would be amazing.

I thought it was Fisher who was leading the stadium stuff?
Clearly going for the marathon, not sprint cliche...

Notwithstanding that, the only 'new' Boddy in the club heirarchy (who I doubt has much to do with any new ground tbh) has a track record of delivering new stadia that isn't exactly one you'd be boasting of if you wanted to inspire confidence in it happening, either!

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

So what’s Fisher been doing?

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread