Match Thread Under 23’s (1 Viewer)

stupot07

Its sad, as a 3 year contract is a long contract but having seen how off the pace he was in preseason I'm convinced he is this years 1 duff signing (i.e. Kastaneer)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Warwickhunt

I take it Hilsner’s breathing problem isn’t sorted yet but that doesn’t make him a poor player. When he’s fit and able let’s all give him a fair chance.
Think he may have the effects of long COVID!

chiefdave

So it's not a breathing issue any more then, if he's ok to be loaned out.
Hard to tell, in another stunning piece of journalism despite the poor bloke not being able to get a pre-season in due to a breathing issue nobody thought it was worth asking about that. All we get is "he’s not as close as I want him to be at the minute, but he’s a great kid who has had a really difficult start”.

shmmeee

Hard to tell, in another stunning piece of journalism despite the poor bloke not being able to get a pre-season in due to a breathing issue nobody thought it was worth asking about that. All we get is "he’s not as close as I want him to be at the minute, but he’s a great kid who has had a really difficult start”.

So frustrating.

SlowerThanPlatt

We don’t seem to have much luck with our recent signings from overseas do we?

Because they are high risk gambles we have to take as a club with a small budget, a similar player from League 1 would cost 2 or 3 times more.

Unfortunately most haven’t worked out and we’re a few players short

87 n all that

Because they are high risk gambles we have to take as a club with a small budget, a similar player from League 1 would cost 2 or 3 times more.

Unfortunately most haven’t worked out and we’re a few players short
Good point but it seems to be the same old story time and time again. I know this might sound like something we’ve done before in other divisions with limited success but maybe getting in a few out of contract players in with something left in the tank might make a difference. I don’t think that type of player fits into Robins remit and I’m sure the wage drop for those kind of players will be an eye opener and motivation will drop but dipping into the overseas market just doesn’t seem to work for us.

shmmeee

Good point but it seems to be the same old story time and time again. I know this might sound like something we’ve done before in other divisions with limited success but maybe getting in a few out of contract players in with something left in the tank might make a difference. I don’t think that type of player fits into Robins remit and I’m sure the wage drop for those kind of players will be an eye opener and motivation will drop but dipping into the overseas market just doesn’t seem to work for us.

We can all play this game.

Don’t buy players proven at the level, look at Ogogo and Brown, don’t buy experienced pros, look at Mayler, don’t buy from lower leagues look at Bosma and Allassani.

Our record overseas right now is two successes: Dabo and Hamer, two failures: Kasta and Hilßner, two unknowns: Jobello and Dacosta. That’s not that bad.

Terry Gibson's perm

Don’t buy players proven at the level, look at Ogogo and Brown, don’t buy experienced pros, look at Mayler, don’t buy from lower leagues look at Bosma and Allassani.

Our record overseas right now is two successes: Dabo and Hamer, two failures: Kasta and Hilßner, two unknowns: Jobello and Dacosta. That’s not that bad.

Not quite that good as Dabo was signed after release from Chelsea

shmmeee

Not quite that good as Dabo was signed after release from Chelsea

Scouted playing in the Netherlands though. So would’ve gone through the same process as other overseas signings. I could equally argue Jobello was a success as he was a first team regular before injury. Similarly harsh to write off Hilßner as bad scouting if it’s a new health issue holding him back.

KenilworthSkyBlue

I don't think you can really put Dabo into the same bracket. I think if I have my timeline correct Viveash would have coached him for years - from the U18s through to what was their U21's at the time - and therefore would have had a far more fuller picture of both the player's character/ability/injury history than the above.

Last edited:

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Spot on. It's not a 'type' of signing that's successful or not. Just all of our signings have an element of risk about them due to our budget so therefore there will be successes and failures from every 'type' of transfer.

It's the same as folks who were moaning that they were shipping goals before Friday, we have a tight 0-0 against Birmingham with 4 at the back and all of a sudden it's "It's simply unacceptable to ever play that way again". We're Coventry City, second lowest budget in the league, we're not going to just be able to play Barcelona-esque football and keep a clean sheet every game. It's not necessarily a trade off either, we're just finding our feet in a league that is the highest quality that the vast majority of our players have played at.

better days

I was wondering about that too. Seems odd just to develop asthma at that age
Funnily enough I developed asthma again in my late 20's despite having had no problems since I was a very young child
I was the fittest I've ever been too at the time
Feel sorry for Hilssner really. He's come to a new country and he's had health issues as well as the effects of the pandemic lockdown(s)
It must be terribly hard for him and his family

Brighton Sky Blue

Spot on. It's not a 'type' of signing that's successful or not. Just all of our signings have an element of risk about them due to our budget so therefore there will be successes and failures from every 'type' of transfer.

It's the same as folks who were moaning that they were shipping goals before Friday, we have a tight 0-0 against Birmingham with 4 at the back and all of a sudden it's "It's simply unacceptable to ever play that way again". We're Coventry City, second lowest budget in the league, we're not going to just be able to play Barcelona-esque football and keep a clean sheet every game. It's not necessarily a trade off either, we're just finding our feet in a league that is the highest quality that the vast majority of our players have played at.

The complaint was more about eliminating any attacking threat from our game rather than the desire to reduce the GA count

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

The complaint was more about eliminating any attacking threat from our game rather than the desire to reduce the GA count
But that's a balancing act right? You don't go from shipping two goals a game to having the same attacking threat and getting clean sheets every week in one game. Of course, I'd like to have been more expansive and attacking vs Birmingham, but it's about building confidence in the defence, understanding the system and learning when you can take risks and when you can't. We were always going to be more conservative to begin with and hopefully with experience they learn to blend that defensive structure with more attacking intent.

Skybluebeliever

I don't think you can really put Dabo into the same bracket. I think if I have my timeline correct Viveash would have coached him for years - from the U18s through to what was their U21's at the time - and therefore would have had a far more fuller picture of both the player's character/ability/injury history than the above.

Didn’t Charlie Wakefield come from Chelsea and was known by vivesh and he did not progress
So some do work and some do work regardless of who brings them in

KenilworthSkyBlue

Didn’t Charlie Wakefield come from Chelsea and was known by vivesh and he did not progress
So some do work and some do work regardless of who brings them in

That's not really the point that I was getting at. Also Dabo was brought in very much for the first team. Charlie Wakefield was brought in as a development project - both Robins and Viveash knew the risks when bringing him in.

mark82

Right now Hilßner should really be in the unknown category too. He's had an issue over the summer that's impacted his fitness. We really don't know what he has to offer long term.

cc84cov

Funnily enough I developed asthma again in my late 20's despite having had no problems since I was a very young child
I was the fittest I've ever been too at the time
Feel sorry for Hilssner really. He's come to a new country and he's had health issues as well as the effects of the pandemic lockdown(s)
It must be terribly hard for him and his family
Has asthma all my life played academy level football then Saturdays for Southam at 18 didn’t effect me in the slightest I’m 36 and still play now albeit it’s slightly slower pace than the championship 🤣

Brighton Sky Blue

But that's a balancing act right? You don't go from shipping two goals a game to having the same attacking threat and getting clean sheets every week in one game. Of course, I'd like to have been more expansive and attacking vs Birmingham, but it's about building confidence in the defence, understanding the system and learning when you can take risks and when you can't. We were always going to be more conservative to begin with and hopefully with experience they learn to blend that defensive structure with more attacking intent.

I’ve said what I thought we ought to have worked on instead and I’m far from the only one. Agree to disagree

Users who are viewing this thread