Uber for Matt? (1 Viewer)

SeaSeeEffCee

I do see some batshit weirdos tbf but I'm assuming I see more CCFC stuff on my feed than other clubs.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
We do seem to have a bit of a reputation on social media for having a lot of absolute weirdo fans who won’t shut up about other clubs and try and ‘force rivalries’.

NorthernWisdom

Who else has we heard complaining about playing time let alone when they’re the sixth most played player?
tbf, I'd hope any player would complain if they think they're not playing enough. Pretty sure Allen did in our first season up in the Championship. What impressed Robins there was his ability to knuckle down and prove Robins wrong. Likewise, there's nothing to suggest that Godden isn't one of Robins's 'favourites' in that he can depend on him to stand in to the side and try his hardest. It's safe to say Robins doesn't suffer fools gladly, so if he thought there was a problem with Godden he'd have been out.

Evo1883

I suppose from Goddens perspective he has consistently delivered for the club since he’s been here.

He’s got what 50 goals in just over 100 starts

It’s a strange old world when you get some mass adulation for players like Biamou (who was rubbish) and now people are describing Simms as if he’s Alan Shearer.

Godden isn’t a cult figure or fashionable but he can point at his record and it stands up against most players in the squad. Palmer as another example has scored 1 league goal in nearly 30 games and a couple of assist but has on here described as world class.

The truth is he’s probably done a lot better in this league than we’d have thought possible - it’s inevitable frustrating when inferior contributors are eulogised for doing far less.
Great Post

And one I will leave this thread at

shmmeee

tbf, I'd hope any player would complain if they think they're not playing enough. Pretty sure Allen did in our first season up in the Championship. What impressed Robins there was his ability to knuckle down and prove Robins wrong. Likewise, there's nothing to suggest that Godden isn't one of Robins's 'favourites' in that he can depend on him to stand in to the side and try his hardest. It's safe to say Robins doesn't suffer fools gladly, so if he thought there was a problem with Godden he'd have been out.

You can salami slice each instance as nbd but as I say overall it doesn’t make someone fans are inclined to defend and give the benefit of the doubt too.

SBT

If Matty Godden - who is playing more than ever on the biggest contract of his career, at the highest level of his career, all while having his name reliably sung by thousands of fans every week….if he feels some kind of inferiority complex to a guy who’s been unemployed for several years then that is a pretty clear indication that the real problem may lie somewhere with him.

Legia Sky Blue

Twitter/ X is full of wums getting a perverse kick out of getting bites, so the more Godden reacts the more they will double down & give it to him. I don't understand what any player gets out of being on there, particularly if they are sensitive to criticism. As has been pointed out by a few on here, at our actual games Godden has been supported by the vast majority despite his drop in form this season, so cupping his ears and not celebrating when he does score doesn't help him any. I find it sad though that a player that has played his part in the club's rise is likely to leave us with negative feelings towards our fans because of all this.

MikeyMoo

I don't think we force rivalries, but we are a 1-club city, so there's no Derby match really. So any Midlands club will do for rivalry on the day!

Brighton Sky Blue

I don't think we force rivalries, but we are a 1-club city, so there's no Derby match really. So any Midlands club will do for rivalry on the day!
Not this season no but they’re looking good for promotion from League 1 so perhaps next year?

SkyBlueMatt

Twitter/ X is full of wums getting a perverse kick out of getting bites, so the more Godden reacts the more they will double down & give it to him. I don't understand what any player gets out of being on there, particularly if they are sensitive to criticism. As has been pointed out by a few on here, at our actual games Godden has been supported by the vast majority despite his drop in form this season, so cupping his ears and not celebrating when he does score doesn't help him any. I find it sad though that a player that has played his part in the club's rise is likely to leave us with negative feelings towards our fans because of all this.

I'm not a celebrity (shocker... I know) but I use Twitter and it is terrible (10% good/useful, 90% bile). It really does bring out the worst in people and if you could bring the dregs of society into one place. It would be Twitter. It's kind of like the Ooze from Ghostbusters, it feeds off hate.

The thing that really gets my goat is I don't like the fact that the abuse is coming from our fans, which should be his fans. Godden doesn't need to be on Twitter, I came off FB for my own good. If I was a footballer, there is no way I'd be on any socials. Those that wh*re themselves out on social media, in an attempt to build their "brand" without any real talent. I have very little sympathy when it all goes sour.

I'm genuinely surprised it hasn't gone the same way as MySpace, etc. 15 maybe even 10 years ago, it would have.

Grendel

Absolute shite, can you find one comment to that effect?

Saying Simms is a better fit than Godden right now is not calling him Shearer lmao

He’s been described as immense, a terroriser of defenders and one poster gave him a perfect 10 for last night

Yet his GPM remains worse than Godden

Last edited:

skybluecam

He’s been described as immense, a terroriser of defenders and one poster gave him a perfect 10 for last night

Gonna need to see some evidence on those.

Godden’s goals 6 months ago in a completely different tactical system are relevant because…?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Simms also made a gesture to fans though , maybe just maybe our fans are little tosspots

Neither was a particularly cool thing to do in my opinion.

Godden I could kind of understand as he's done an amazing job for us over the years, but it's looking a bit silly now as he's not been delivering. The Simms one hit a nerve because he's been here 5 minutes and has been dissapointing for the most part. Obviously there are some dickhead trolls like every club, but I don't think either have a leg to stand on with that kind of behaviour. Most of our fans are fantastic and very encouraging, and we pride ourselves on that as a club.

SBT

I think if you spend less time fretting about occasional hyperbole from internet randos then you’ll see there isn’t really much controversy to be found here.

Funnily enough, if your theory about Godden’s frustrations is correct then the same might also apply to him.

Mucca Mad Boys

Godden scored all his goals at the start of the season bar one. 3 of his 9 goal have come against lower league opposition. Yes they all count, but it’s more likely that he’s no longer a good fit for the team.

That was my opinion before the season started, Godden started well and earned a contract renewal but hasn’t done anything of note since.

False9

I'm not really arsed about Godden's legacy or how he stacks up against Biamou.

In the here and now he's nowhere near good enough and shouldn't be starting in the team. He should be used for emergencies only and to give others a rest until the end of the season.

Grendel

I think if you spend less time fretting about occasional hyperbole from internet randos then you’ll see there isn’t really much controversy to be found here.

Funnily enough, if your theory about Godden’s frustrations is correct then the same might also apply to him.

Strangely enough Basildon Boy I’m hardly fretting about anything

covcity4life

Twitter is full of morons. Best thing I did was delete it. I find it weird how adults can sit there refreshing it 247 and caring what other fans think

He hasn't been booed in the ground so wasn't rly any need to put fingers in ears but at same time fans need stfu and understand he's clearly annoyed and letting off steam. If you ain't sent him abuse he clearly didn't aim it at you.

Simms isn't shearer but I think majority of fans agree he should be starting in number 9 slot most games now. Doesn't mean godden won't get game time form now till end of season though and he may have some big goals left in him.

Every goal counts so get behind him and Simms instead of being a miserable sad twat on the internet and targeting any players I say.

Cally Fedora

Goddens record stands up to scrutiny. No doubt about it. But records are constructed over a period of time. Godden has been awful this season. Early on he was anonymous but chipping in with goals. Now he’s just anonymous. He’ll get game time as we can’t play our best front three every game. But as we saw last night it’s a struggle with him in.

Terry Gibson's perm

When does his contract end I know he signed a new one, players like him should be getting a year at a time like Kelly does it might come as a shock to Godden but there aren’t a queue of championship clubs wanting him.

AOM

I don't really have a problem with that. Is it not expected to an extent at all clubs though? Its hardly a CCFC thing is it. There are some weird football fans out there.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Definitely not just a Coventry City thing. You see the exact same thing internationally for England too, and I imagine it's the same around the world.
Some people are in general just dickheads

SlowerThanPlatt

I suppose from Goddens perspective he has consistently delivered for the club since he’s been here.

It’s a strange old world when you get some mass adulation for players like Biamou (who was rubbish) and now people are describing Simms as if he’s Alan Shearer.

Godden isn’t a cult figure or fashionable but he can point at his record and it stands up against most players in the squad. Palmer as another example has scored 1 league goal in nearly 30 games and a couple of assist but has on here described as world class.

The truth is he’s probably done a lot better in this league than we’d have thought possible - it’s inevitable frustrating when inferior contributors are eulogised for doing far less.
I have an inkling a new thread might be on the way

Offhegoes

I don't think Godden has helped himself over the last 2 seasons. He had a fallout with Vik (which saw both dropped against Norwich last season) - Then when he came back into the side at the end of last season, he wasn't great, and didn't score much. Not necessarily his fault, as he was played as a foil to Vik
He did score a few earlier this season, but they weren't in the same category of goals he's scored in the past. Then the 'Non-Celebration' against Oxford for his 2 goals. It suggested either he thinks he should be first choice, or that the Social Media shite had got into his head.

skybluecam

You’re deluded mate, no one is comparing Simms to Shearer or calling Palmer world class. Can you not make your points without ridiculous strawmans?

Grendel

You’re deluded mate, no one is comparing Simms to Shearer or calling Palmer world class. Can you not make your points without ridiculous strawmans?

Well that took two seconds

RoboCCFC90

Matt Godden has been a fantastic servant for this football club, in League One he contributed almost a third of our goals and the goals against Sunderland and Ipswich do stick fondly in the memory.

Since we've been in the Championship he's contributed with goals as well and has been a brilliant squad player, but I would consider parting ways with Godden in the summer.

He's too injury prone IMO, I don't believe he has scored anywhere near enough goals for the chances we've created and he doesn't offer enough up front unless he's in the eighteen yard box where he is supposed to thrive.

I'd be happy to keep him around the club as backup, but he's getting no younger and I believe we could invest in another player who could play his role in the team and allow Godden to leave.

Grendel

Calling one touch world class doesn’t mean you’re saying the player is 🤣

Im starting to think you may be another alt account of David’s - not going well is it?

Brighton Sky Blue

Neither was a particularly cool thing to do in my opinion.

Godden I could kind of understand as he's done an amazing job for us over the years, but it's looking a bit silly now as he's not been delivering. The Simms one hit a nerve because he's been here 5 minutes and has been dissapointing for the most part. Obviously there are some dickhead trolls like every club, but I don't think either have a leg to stand on with that kind of behaviour. Most of our fans are fantastic and very encouraging, and we pride ourselves on that as a club.
It’s mostly annoying because the crowd get behind them both every game no matter their level of performance. Focus on real people who turned up to support you rather than anonymous gits online

Evo1883

Like I said , been having the same arguments for years , this post just replace max with Simms ( although I appreciate simms isn't biamou ) and nothings changed has it ? Been the same for 4 years , some people have never really warmed to him

Post in thread 'Matt Godden' Matt Godden

WestEndAgro

Confidence in football is such a big thing and it can't be underestimated the effect it can have
Well he won't get a easier chance to up his confidence than last night, it was a shocking miss, right up there with Ronnie Rosentall (probably spelt wrong but can't be arsed to check).
No player is above criticism, but personal abuse is not only wrong, but also rediculous to the extreme.
I'll support Godden whilst he's wearing our famous Sky Blue, but I'll also call it how it is.

blunted

I thought there was a small light at the end of the tunnel for Godden against Plymouth. In recent games he has looked anonymous and out of sorts. Against Plymouth, he missed two sitters but he was there to miss them which hasn't happened lately. We need a better Godden for the run in. I appear to be in an absolute minority but I still think he will come good and still has a part to play. Time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread