U18/U21 Development Thread (6 Viewers)

chiefdave

Why does the city need a 50m pool can't they just swim twice as many lengths in a 25m pool

I did wonder that when there was all the complaints when they first said they were shutting it. Never really found an answer. Can't see that it makes a huge difference, not like they could never practice in a 50m pool if they travelled.

SlowerThanPlatt

U18s v Millwall, 11:30 kick off.

Skuza

Hickman
Ford
Thompson
Camwell

Maycock
Green (U16)
Bayliss

Finn
Smith
Hendricks

I make that 9 first year players, 1 U16 player and 1 second year player. Very young team.

U16s also away at Millwall. I know there's an Irish striker playing today for them trying to earn a scholarship for next year. Think they want to add a forward and a goalkeeper for next year. The U16s goalkeeper didn't get offered a scholarship here and has signed for Walsall.

SlowerThanPlatt

U18s lead Millwall 2-0 at the break. Will try and find out the scorers. Don't want to tempt fate but it looks like we've got our act together after a few heavy defeats

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

U18s lead Millwall 2-0 at the break. Will try and find out the scorers. Don't want to tempt fate but it looks like we've got our act together after a few heavy defeats

Seeing as the 1st team, U21's & U18's all seem to be following similar form patterns over this season I will take this as a positive omen today haha! What's the betting they lose 3-2 now!

SkyblueBazza

I did wonder that when there was all the complaints when they first said they were shutting it. Never really found an answer. Can't see that it makes a huge difference, not like they could never practice in a 50m pool if they travelled.
Swimming is staggeringly difficult in terms of training if you are half decent.
Local pools for most families are probably 30mins away from home. Most clubs (if anything like the one my lad was in) have training early morning so they are poolside at 5am...kids like cereal before training in my experience, so we are talking 4am start 6mornings a week - before work &/or school or college.
Competition training in Olympic sized pools is best done in 50m pools.
It's a much more expensive sport to be involved in than footy. 6yrs ago coaching fees were £100. The swimwear costs more than a decent pair of boots too. To enter a race used to cost between £4 & £7 back then too...so a half decent all rounder you're easily talking £50/competition...PLUS travel, food, time, & sometimes accommodation!
Half decent footballers generally have matches withing 1/2-1hr away. Swimmers often have to travel 1hr for lower level competitions...2.5hrs plus for the higher level ones.
Coventry with a 50m pool offers more people the chance to swim, kids to learn to swim through sports lessons as well as the good ones to train better, & can bring competitions & income to the City.
Encourage it for all it is.

...onwards & upwards PUSB

SlowerThanPlatt

Goals scored by Dan Smith and Ronee Hendricks. Both first year scholars. Back to back away wins now, the U18s next game is at home against bottom of the table Barnsley on Thursday. Not sure on the time yet.

The U21s take on Bristol City at Ashton Gate on Monday. I expect Jodi Jones to play some part as he trained with them today.

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

Ryan Haynes played 90 minutes for Cambridge in the 3-0 win over Yeovil and was also voted Man of the Match.

570e4f1a59ea66a470033f6da44b5d73.jpg

Last edited:

Otis

I also have a bit of a problem with the U21 Premier League II too.

They have said it will mirror the Premier League in terms of games etc, but doesn't that mean that you could win the Premier League II and also be relegated with your first team at the same time?

Be a bit odd that. Could it also be that you could win the Premier League but have your U21 team relegated? If you implement this scheme you have to have the leagues throughout the whole football league don't you?

If they say put this in place next season and then Burnley went up, they would have to be in this new U21 League for the process of mirroring of the Premier League games.

Also, would the likes of Chelsea want their U21 players to be playing at a lower level if their first team went down?

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

chiefdave

I also have a bit of a problem with the U21 Premier League II too.

They have said it will mirror the Premier League in terms of games etc, but doesn't that mean that you could win the Premier League II and also be relegated with your first team at the same time?

Be a bit odd that. Could it also be that you could win the Premier League but have your U21 team relegated? If you implement this scheme you have to have the leagues throughout the whole football league don't you?

If they say put this in place next season and then Burnley went up, they would have to be in this new U21 League for the process of mirroring of the Premier League games.

Also, would the likes of Chelsea want their U21 players to be playing at a lower level if their first team went down?

Exactly, they say the current U21 games aren't of value as there's nothing to play for but a PL U21 with no relegation means that, with the exception of the handful challenging for the title, there's nothing to play for.

Doesn't it also mean that if you get relegated from the PL all your decent U21 players are likely to leave as well?

Just bring back regional reserve leagues with promotion and relegation.

You can tell the motivation for this is wrong when one of the key points is a TV deal. That should be the last thing you think about when you're talking about how to improve the development of young players.

Otis

Exactly, they say the current U21 games aren't of value as there's nothing to play for but a PL U21 with no relegation means that, with the exception of the handful challenging for the title, there's nothing to play for.

Doesn't it also mean that if you get relegated from the PL all your decent U21 players are likely to leave as well?

Just bring back regional reserve leagues with promotion and relegation.

You can tell the motivation for this is wrong when one of the key points is a TV deal. That should be the last thing you think about when you're talking about how to improve the development of young players.
Yep, exactly.

And like I say, if there is no relegation what if Norwich dropped out of the Premier League and then got relegated again, ending up in League One? They would then still be playing Premier League II football.

This mirroring thing could go complete tits up within two years if there is no promotion or relegation. 3 down, 3 up between the Premier League and the Championship. Within 2 years there could be a 12 team differential. How are they going to mirror that! ;)

Every team promoted to the Premier League is going to demand Premier League II status too aren't they?

ccfcway

always wondered why the don't have a game for the reserve sides before the main game (a bit like a warm up act at a gig).

Open the gates at 12, kick off at 12:45 for the reserve sides and then main games follow straight after at 3. Would increase revenue at the ground, would be of interest to many of the fans and would ensure a decent attendance

Otis

always wondered why the don't have a game for the reserve sides before the main game (a bit like a warm up act at a gig).

Open the gates at 12, kick off at 12:45 for the reserve sides and then main games follow straight after at 3. Would increase revenue at the ground, would be of interest to many of the fans and would ensure a decent attendance
Probably mess up the pitch though.

SlowerThanPlatt

U21s away at Bristol City. 7pm kick off.

Addai, Phillips, Finch, Harries, Di Kelly Evans, Bigirimana, Stevenson, Dev Kelly Evans, Lameiras, Jones, Thomas

Bench: Skuza, Shipley, Sambou, Otshudy, Spence

SlowerThanPlatt

Noticed he wasn't in the 18's squad Saturday, surely starting in that is better than being on the bench for the U21's?

This is the first game he's been benched I think since he's moved up. Started all the others. The next U21 game isn't for another two weeks though so he might play for the U18s on Thursday against Barnsley

W

westcountry_skyblue

I'm here he's greased lightening great move and goal we are controlling it .

W

westcountry_skyblue

Bigi controlling the game everything is going through him

Users who are viewing this thread