U18/U21 Development Thread (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

As we are nearing the end of the season, thought I’d ask anyone who watches the youth/reserve team who they have rated this year and who might break through next season like Bayliss, Ponticelli and Shipley have this year?

Twix

My vote would be for Jack Burroughs, I'm friends with his mum on Facebook and saw this posted by his dad a few days ago.
Seen him and his brother play for years as they went to the same school as my kids, always been standout players, his younger brother has also been offer a full time place at the academy next year when he leave school

Otis

My vote would be for Jack Burroughs, I'm friends with his mum on Facebook and saw this posted by his dad a few days ago.
Seen him and his brother play for years as they went to the same school as my kids, always been standout players, his younger brother has also been offer a full time place at the academy next year when he leave school

And which brother is supposed to be the best of the two?

Otis

Apples and pears..
Jack is an attacking midfielder, George is a solid defender. Very different players, both well regarded
Right. Didn't know they played completely different positions.

No comparison then to be had of course.

Kerr23

As we are nearing the end of the season, thought I’d ask anyone who watches the youth/reserve team who they have rated this year and who might break through next season like Bayliss, Ponticelli and Shipley have this year?
There are 2 others who I believe are first year scholars. Hunt and White. Top quality players although white injured at moment. Seen Hunt quite a few times and from chats on the sideline, he’s generating a lot of interest. Cov need to keep these players to replicate last seasons success.

SlowerThanPlatt

The club have signed 6 new scholars I believe

George Membrillera - a striker who was most recently at Millwall
Callum Martin - a left back signed from local football
Cian Tyler - a goalkeeper who has represented Wales U16s and 17s this season. Mainstay of U16s + some U18 appearances
Daniel Lafferty - central midfielder who has represented Northern Ireland U17s this season. Mainstay of U16s + some U18 appearances
Jonathan Ngandu - the most well known player of the group. Talented number 10. Played 18s all season + Youth Cup
Blaine Rowe - versatile player. Can play anywhere across the back line and midfield. Was part of England U15 training last season. Played 18s most of season + Youth Cup

Charlie McCann left to Manchester United but they've done well to sign the others. 3 were released from the U16 side, one of them signed for Shrewsbury

Scottydr

There are 2 others who I believe are first year scholars. Hunt and White. Top quality players although white injured at moment. Seen Hunt quite a few times and from chats on the sideline, he’s generating a lot of interest. Cov need to keep these players to replicate last seasons success.
Surely u18 are relying on new intake of scholars to strengthen the squad after a dismal season , am excited about Lafferty as a scholar next year , going full time think he has the most scope out of the group to progress further as others are surely fully exposed now , time will tell but i am usually not far wrong

SBchimp

The under 18s were always going to find this season a hard one. There were 7 pro's taken from the previous second year scholars group compared to only 3 this year. Out of the 3 taken, both Eccles and Stedman missed a large chunk through injury and the other, Green, playing more for the 23's.
When we played the eventual champions Charlton towards the end of the season we had no second years, 5 under 16's and 2 under 15's playing.
On the plus side, next year both 1st and 2nd year groups have played together for much of this year and are 'battle hardened' most likely they will be a mid table side as no doubt the better players will once again be asked to step up into the 23s.

They will also be supported by a very strong under 16s group next season, that if kept together could be a force in the next few years.

dplzll

The club have signed 6 new scholars I believe

George Membrillera - a striker who was most recently at Millwall
Callum Martin - a left back signed from local football
Cian Tyler - a goalkeeper who has represented Wales U16s and 17s this season. Mainstay of U16s + some U18 appearances
Daniel Lafferty - central midfielder who has represented Northern Ireland U17s this season. Mainstay of U16s + some U18 appearances
Jonathan Ngandu - the most well known player of the group. Talented number 10. Played 18s all season + Youth Cup
Blaine Rowe - versatile player. Can play anywhere across the back line and midfield. Was part of England U15 training last season. Played 18s most of season + Youth Cup

Charlie McCann left to Manchester United but they've done well to sign the others. 3 were released from the U16 side, one of them signed for Shrewsbury

From an intake of 6 - to have 3 who have received international recognition already is very impressive for a league 2 (cat 2) club.
Shows the great work going on at the academy .
Would be very surprised if any other club in are position/category could come close to that.

SlowerThanPlatt

The under 18s were always going to find this season a hard one. There were 7 pro's taken from the previous second year scholars group compared to only 3 this year. Out of the 3 taken, both Eccles and Stedman missed a large chunk through injury and the other, Green, playing more for the 23's.
When we played the eventual champions Charlton towards the end of the season we had no second years, 5 under 16's and 2 under 15's playing.
On the plus side, next year both 1st and 2nd year groups have played together for much of this year and are 'battle hardened' most likely they will be a mid table side as no doubt the better players will once again be asked to step up into the 23s.

They will also be supported by a very strong under 16s group next season, that if kept together could be a force in the next few years.

Yes apparently the 15s have had a good season they beat Forest 3-0 in their final game. The lad who signed for Rio Ferdinand’s agency appears to be the stand out. The 14s also beat Leicester 4-2 last week. Can’t look too much into results at that age but can guarantee their budget and players they have signed at that age group dwarfs ours

SlowerThanPlatt

any idea whether any of the second year scholars have been offered professional contracts

Yes, Billy Stedman, Josh Eccles and Lewis Green

Stedman will draw Maddison comparisons in pre season. Came from Southampton in 2016.

Eccles is a solid defensive midfielder who has just come back from a long injury lay off. Club must rate him to give him a contract after that.

Green is a right back originally from Northampton

Kerr23

I saw other people posting the vids. Picked off Twitter. This is George hunt when he played for Southampton. Great boy and a very close client of mine, who will go all the way. What a baller. Waiting for the cov Clips next.

SlowerThanPlatt

I saw other people posting the vids. Picked off Twitter. This is George hunt when he played for Southampton. Great boy and a very close client of mine, who will go all the way. What a baller. Waiting for the cov Clips next.

Well I hope you’re being paid good because you’re promoting him well!

What’s his contract situation? See from his DOB he’s still only 16. I know one of the lads in his age group has a pro. Always think a player has done well if they’re born in later part of year to progress through age groups

Kerr23

No not getting paid at all I watch a lot of academy games and like I said before there are others in CCFC academy players that are very talented and have made the right impact with agents/scouts. As for his contract he has a 2 year scholar. Also aware who has the Pro football is a small world. I use forums across the spectrum as a great way to cross my notes for 18/23 players.

SlowerThanPlatt

No not getting paid at all I watch a lot of academy games and like I said before there are others in CCFC academy players that are very talented and have made the right impact with agents/scouts. As for his contract he has a 2 year scholar. Also aware who has the Pro football is a small world. I use forums across the spectrum as a great way to cross my notes for 18/23 players.

You seen much of the new scholars then?

Kerr23

yes CCFC have a good reputation - they had a tough season from the games I saw but some shining lights within the 18s. You will always have agents and scouts sniffing around due to your academy success. The season before was amazing resulting in lots of pros which is a great news for the club and shows many things are done the right way. White, Burroughs and Hunt stand out for me.

SlowerThanPlatt

yes CCFC have a good reputation - they had a tough season from the games I saw but some shining lights within the 18s. You will always have agents and scouts sniffing around due to your academy success. The season before was amazing resulting in lots of pros which is a great news for the club and shows many things are done the right way. White, Burroughs and Hunt stand out for me.

I meant the 16s going into their scholars. 2 of them played the majority of the season with the 18s

And they were basically U17s last season for the majority

Kerr23

I meant the 16s going into their scholars. 2 of them played the majority of the season with the 18s

And they were basically U17s last season for the majority
Jonny and Blaine did OK but difficult to measure in a team that was underperforming. There was also another lad that came from Millwall a centre forward he looks decent and another coo for CCFC.

dplzll

What is the reason he left Southampton , who i believe are a cat 1 academy , is the lad local to the coventry area ?.
Seems a strange move to go from a cat 1 to a cat 2 with such potential.

Kerr23

What is the reason he left Southampton , who i believe are a cat 1 academy , is the lad local to the coventry area ?.
Seems a strange move to go from a cat 1 to a cat 2 with such potential.
Fair question. George was injured for a long while and was approaching scholar time. Soton wanted to extend his period for another 3 months. The family had to make a decision on whether to stay with no guarantees or go for the release. The problem is every team pretty much release at the same time and they all go on the academy merry go round. Cov had done their homework on him and offered a scholar within 2 weeks. George was with Brentford, cat 2 until they closed their academy. Soton were short and took 8 of the Brentford team from the 16s. Nothing sinister just football is a funny old game!!!!

dplzll

Fair question. George was injured for a long while and was approaching scholar time. Soton wanted to extend his period for another 3 months. The family had to make a decision on whether to stay with no guarantees or go for the release. The problem is every team pretty much release at the same time and they all go on the academy merry go round. Cov had done their homework on him and offered a scholar within 2 weeks. George was with Brentford, cat 2 until they closed their academy. Soton were short and took 8 of the Brentford team from the 16s. Nothing sinister just football is a funny old game!!!!
Looks like the academy have done very well to get this lad , expect he'll be playing more 23's than 18's next season

SlowerThanPlatt

Someone mentioned a few weeks about a recap of our young players. Not listed the ones who played frequently for first team last season. Expect a few more to come in for the 23s.

U23s:
Reise Allassani (AM/ST)
Bouwe Bosma (DM)

U22s:
Zain Westbrooke (CM)

U21s:
Corey Addai (GK)
Callum Maycock (CM)

U2os:
Jordon Thompson (CB)
Chris Camwell (LB)
Jak Hickman (RB/RM)