Tyson v Roy Jones Jr (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Not long now before Mike Tyson enters the ring verses Roy Jones Jr in an exhibition contest. Both fighters are in their fifties and past their best, but seem serious about putting on a real fight. As a boxing fan this fight intrigues me, more so to see if 2 ex top Pugilists can still perform in a ring at their age without seriously injuring themselves ? Will it be 2 boxers going full out, or will they go easy and treat it lightly ? Should be an interesting watch !

pastythegreat

Not long now before Mike Tyson enters the ring verses Roy Jones Jr in an exhibition contest. Both fighters are in their fifties and past their best, but seem serious about putting on a real fight. As a boxing fan this fight intrigues me, more so to see if 2 ex top Pugilists can still perform in a ring at their age without seriously injuring themselves ? Will it be 2 boxers going full out, or will they go easy and treat it lightly ? Should be an interesting watch !
Past their best? Have you seen any recent videos of Tyson training? Shit the bed, his hands haven't slowed down much, nor do they seem to hit any less powerful. Reckon he could still do a job against most "pro" fighters in his weight range now.

Looking at this, I dont think he's coming out to take it easy and put on an "exhibition". Hes in it to win it.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

Past their best? Have you seen any recent videos of Tyson training? Shit the bed, his hands haven't slowed down much, nor do they seem to hit any less powerful. Reckon he could still do a job against most "pro" fighters in his weight range now.

Will see on the night. I've watched videos of them both training,and both look fast and in good shape. But training in a gym to stepping in a ring is a different ball game.

I'm interested in the No Shorts but T-Shirt idea. I'd have thought going topless whilst wearing shorts would've been more beneficial?

Skybluefaz

Looking at this, I dont think he's coming out to take it easy and put on an "exhibition". Hes in it to win it.

They might be able to knock out some bum pro, but both are undisputably past their best. Hope neither come out of it hurt but put on a good show.

SBT

Boxing promos are a hell of a drug

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm a bit concerned because they're still going to be way better than the average person in terms of power etc but they're still 50-odd. Their bodies will still be ageing like everyone else and blood vessels etc won't be as elastic as they were when they were younger and are much more liable to burst. I fear the potential for a quite catastrophic life-changing injury and I hope the both of them escape without damage. Trouble is if they do it'll probably just entice other 'oldies' into such fights until one does happen.

bringbackrattles

I'm a bit concerned because they're still going to be way better than the average person in terms of power etc but they're still 50-odd. Their bodies will still be ageing like everyone else and blood vessels etc won't be as elastic as they were when they were younger and are much more liable to burst. I fear the potential for a quite catastrophic life-changing injury and I hope the both of them escape without damage. Trouble is if they do it'll probably just entice other 'oldies' into such fights until one does happen.
There will be no points awarded etc in other words for an outright win either boxer will need a knockout. But the referee will immediately stop the fight if a boxer has a bad cut or injury.
Tyson says he will fight just like he always has, while Jones has said he could die in the ring. Tyson hopes in future this contest will lead the way for "older" men and women in all sport to compete in senior competitions etc. Both fighters say it is not hype or a soft exhibition contest, both are deadly serious. We will see what happens then ?

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

The officals have been told to intervene if it builds beyond a 'heavy spar' so i doubt we're going to see anything resembling a proper tear up (which is a good thing given their ages). I'm far more interested in the Dubois vs Joyce match the following weekend, that really could be something special from a UK boxing point of view

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

There will be no points awarded etc in other words for an outright win either boxer will need a knockout. But the referee will immediately stop the fight if a boxer has a bad cut or injury.
Tyson says he will fight just like he always has, while Jones has said he could die in the ring. Tyson hopes in future this contest will lead the way for "older" men and women in all sport to compete in senior competitions etc. Both fighters say it is not hype or a soft exhibition contest, both are deadly serious. We will see what happens then ?

If not awarding points I'd argue that makes the contest more dangerous.

As you say it'll need a KO so they're going to be going for the big blows.

bringbackrattles

If not awarding points I'd argue that makes the contest more dangerous.

As you say it'll need a KO so they're going to be going for the big blows.
12 oz gloves and no headgear will be worn. Both big punchers and so no wonder Jones said facing Mike Tyson is scary, and he admitted what was he thinking getting in the ring again.

Nick

Administrator
If it was for loads of cash I'd go in myself, just run around the ring, and the first punch landed on my chin go down for the full count, and then get up and collect the cash !

Exactly, pretty sure they could let us have a free shot first for the comedy value.

Then thanks, give me a couple of million and a hospital visit.

bringbackrattles

Exactly, pretty sure they could let us have a free shot first for the comedy value.

Then thanks, give me a couple of million and a hospital visit.
Only thing is a punch from either of them would probably put you in intensive care for a long time !

cc84cov

The officals have been told to intervene if it builds beyond a 'heavy spar' so i doubt we're going to see anything resembling a proper tear up (which is a good thing given their ages). I'm far more interested in the Dubois vs Joyce match the following weekend, that really could be something special from a UK boxing point of view
Callum Smith - Canelo is the one coming up great fight

LastGarrison

Another pantomime of a fight that should never be allowed and only further besmirches boxing’s reputation.

RJJ was one of my favourite boxers of all time and who prolonged his professional career far too long as it was. Seeing him come back doing this is sad. Really sad.

Briles

Announced today no knock outs allowed and no judges. Will be shite.

Is anyone intending to watch this? I won't be but am interested to know if people will be shelling out for ppv and staying up? Even the big US fights aren't enough to have me staying up to beyond 3am these days, i'll watch Dubois-Joyce this evening and that'll be it.

Skybluefaz

Is anyone intending to watch this? I won't be but am interested to know if people will be shelling out for ppv and staying up? Even the big US fights aren't enough to have me staying up to beyond 3am these days, i'll watch Dubois-Joyce this evening and that'll be it.
No, like yourself I'm looking forward to Dubois v Joyce. Dubois could be anything from what I've seen of him so far, punching power is unreal. Not seen him tested though so this one should be good.

No, like yourself I'm looking forward to Dubois v Joyce. Dubois could be anything from what I've seen of him so far, punching power is unreal. Not seen him tested though so this one should be good.

Totally agree, hopefully he's the real deal as that could mean years of having a top heavyweight from Britain on the back of the Fury-Joshua years too

Users who are viewing this thread