Match Thread Tuesday v Rotherham Match Thread (2 Viewers)

Grendel

Thought Eccles was excellent going forward last night in the second half. Got roasted at the start of the second half

it helped that the guy got injured who was walking past him every time

Terry Gibson's perm

We should have plenty of right backs available we have five players On the books but only two left backs and he would ply virtually anybody there before picking Reid.

jordan210

Can we take a minute to appreciate just how bad some of our passing was last night.

Rose was one of the worst culprits

robbiethemole

Just looked at replay, and can’t understand why Palmer or Allen didn’t just pull Barlaser back or chop him down, there were covering players so yellow at worst or even get away with it the way the ref was letting them do.
We really are too nice as a team, maybe a Michael Doyle would have stopped him

Last edited:

mmttww

Ironically, at the same time as fans are trotting out the racist 'Lazy' stereotype, I counted four separate fans around me in Block 15 last night that confused Dabo and Palmer. Some more than once. fml

Nick

Administrator
Ironically, at the same time as fans are trotting out the racist 'Lazy' stereotype, I counted four separate fans around me in Block 15 last night that confused Dabo and Palmer. Some more than once. fml

It doesn't help when somebody who is paid to commentate on games does the same thing.

One is about a foot taller than the other and plays further up the pitch.
The other is smaller and stockier.

Not sure it's racist though. (The getting them mixed up one). The lazy nonsense is bullshit, you only have to watch Palmer to see he is far from lazy so there's no excusing that.

jamboy

It doesn't help when somebody who is paid to commentate on games does the same thing.

One is about a foot taller than the other and plays further up the pitch.
The other is smaller and stockier.

Not sure it's racist though. (The getting them mixed up one). The lazy nonsense is bullshit, you only have to watch Palmer to see he is far from lazy so there's no excusing that.

Agreed. Clive confused Kane for Bidwell more than once after Bidwell had been subbed. And Hamer for O’Hare. Used to be funny back when he confused Liam Walsh with Bradley Walsh, it’s amateur, but hardly a racial matter with Clive.

pusbccfc

Just looked at replay, and can’t understand why Palmer or Allen didn’t just pull Barlaser back or chop him down, there were covering players so yellow at worst or even get away with it the way the ref was letting them do.
We really are too nice as a team, maybe a Michael Doyle would have stopped him

We've become a bit better in recent weeks but compared to Rotherham we have a way to go. Even their manager is at it after the game.

Football should be played fairly, and under Robins we clearly want to. The issue is, it's not. Rotherham and many in this division have a style of play which works. Waste time, take silly fouls and sub players off on yellows. Look at the one on Gyökeres 2/3 of them were trying to take him down. Even after the game their manager is still at it.

I'd absolutely love to know the time the ball was in play last night. Must have been the lowest in some time.

Nick

Administrator
We've become a bit better in recent weeks but compared to Rotherham we have a way to go. Even their manager is at it after the game.

Football should be played fairly, and under Robins we clearly want to. The issue is, it's not. Rotherham and many in this division have a style of play which works. Waste time, take silly fouls and sub players off on yellows. Look at the one on Gyökeres 2/3 of them were trying to take him down. Even after the game their manager is still at it.

I'd absolutely love to know the time the ball was in play last night. Must have been the lowest in some time.

That's basic football though, if they are really breaking away at speed on the counter like that. Just take the booking for bringing them down.

There's playing fair and there's being far too naive.

Old Warwickshire lad

Doyle was much more of an attacking threat down the left than Bidwell. If we are keeping Bidwell in the side we should play him at the back, with Doyle wing back if last night is anything to go by.

jordan210

Allen and whoever is in the middle should have fouled the player for the first goal. Dabos leg goes at just the wrong time to try to do something. Wilson all over the place

2nd goal is literally a straight 40 yard pass.

shmmeee

Judging by @robbiekeane other posts on the subject appears people who sit behind him use it all the time. He clearly has a issue with it. Whats fair if they are using it as a slur.

But its would be best if he dint acuse everyone who uses the word lazy as racist.

Its not just a one off. Stern John, Bothroyd, Best, there’s been others. It’s a common complaint against black players disproportionately and with the racist history of accusing black people of being lazy it’s a sensitive word. Like globalist for Jews (yes I am reading Jews Don’t Count by David Baddiel at the moment why do you ask?)

Allen and whoever is in the middle should have fouled the player for the first goal. Dabos leg goes at just the wrong time to try to do something. Wilson all over the place

2nd goal is literally a straight 40 yard pass.

Hasn’t noticed that but yeah you can see him pull up the last few steps before the guy shoots. So unlucky.

jordan210

Its not just a one off. Stern John, Bothroyd, Best, there’s been others. It’s a common complaint against black players disproportionately and with the racist history of accusing black people of being lazy it’s a sensitive word. Like globalist for Jews (yes I am reading Jews Don’t Count by David Baddiel at the moment why do you ask?)

We all know football has an huge issue with racism from grass routes up.

Trying to tar anyone who says the word lazy as a racist really isn't helping in the slightest.

With Palmer I can understand why some people will/have said negative things about him. As he did turn up unfit and Bristol fans had basicly said he wasn't good. So was all ready lined up for the boo boys.

I don’t remember people saying it was racsit when Max, Dacosta and Kasta got abuse. So lots of double standards

Hasn’t noticed that but yeah you can see him pull up the last few steps before the guy shoots. So unlucky.

In real time looked like he just got beat for speed and then pulled up. But looks more like he pulled up at just the wrong time. That guy is rapid mind you.

Last edited:

DannyThomas_1981

Fans brilliant again last night - we must now have one of the most vocal home support across the leagues. The atmosphere at the CBS has been getting better year after year.

Lots of plaudits for our away support and rightly so but we probably don't mention the improved home support enough.

In terms of the football we played - for me that was the most enjoyable game of the season and can't wait to see more.

shmmeee

We all know football has an huge issue with racism from grass routes up.

Trying to tar anyone who says the word lazy as a racist really isn't helping in the slightest.

With Palmer I can understand why some people will/have said negative things about him. As he did turn up unfit and Bristol fans had basicly said he wasn't good. So was all ready lined up for the boo boys.

I don’t remember people saying it was racsit when Max, Dacosta and Kasta got abuse. So lots of double standards

In real time looked like he just got beat for speed and then pulled up. But looks more like he pulled up at just the wrong time. That guy is rapid mind you.

I get where you’re coming from and I’m not calling you racist, I’ve never seen a note of it in your posts. Just trying to put some context around why that word is particularly sensitive.

I’m really not the person to speak on this so I’ll shut up but I’ve seen it said black players are either “big and strong” or “lazy” because that fits racist stereotypes and it holds young black players back. As I say I’ll leave it there.

jordan210

I get where you’re coming from and I’m not calling you racist, I’ve never seen a note of it in your posts. Just trying to put some context around why that word is particularly sensitive.

I’m really not the person to speak on this so I’ll shut up but I’ve seen it said black players are either “big and strong” or “lazy” because that fits racist stereotypes and it holds young black players back. As I say I’ll leave it there.

I wasn’t saying it about you, was just saying what one poster was trying to claim last night….

I fully understand that that word has connotations and can be sensitive to some and should be used with caution.

It’s about educating rather than branding.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I wasn’t saying it about you, was just saying what one poster was trying to claim last night….

I fully understand that that word has connotations now and should be used with caution.

It’s about educating rather than branding.

Unfortunately some of the worst people when it comes to this are probably white who want to seem like they are superior to others and go on about something that isn't there to try and make themselves look good. It makes the problem worse where it does exist. Of course there are issues, we know that, and it isn't acceptable. It does need to be dealt with and I think whilst there are some improvements, if we go down this line then we are going too far the other way to try and overcorrect. That doesn't mean however, that you should need to apologise for calling a player lazy if you think they are. The worst culprit of recent times who got called that was Shipley, who last time I checked, is about the whitest motherfucker you could ever meet.

By all means call it out, show it isn't acceptable, kick the fuck out of anyone doing it, but when we are having a discussion about a player and their attributes, where no intent of that is being shown, then in my opinion it's the biggest case of bedwetting on here to try and make that into an issue. As I said, it only makes the problem worse where it does exist and it isn't doing anyone any favours. It also pulls us apart rather than bringing us together. I genuinely don't think a single person on this board is a racist, and if they were I would like to think that more or less every poster would be going after them and demanding they were banned as an absolute minimum.

mmttww

Its not just a one off. Stern John, Bothroyd, Best, there’s been others. It’s a common complaint against black players disproportionately and with the racist history of accusing black people of being lazy.

This nails it. People may not be consciously biased but the idea still floats around unconsciously. In the same ball park, people would do well to ask themselves if they mix white players up who look nothing alike anywhere near as much as black players who, in the case of Palmer and Dabo, share a similar hair style and that's about it! Skin tone, build, height are all totally different. Dangerous territory using the word lazy in this context. It's a racist stereotype but not everyone that's using it is being consciously racist. Rant over.

shmmeee

This nails it. People may not be consciously biased but the idea still floats around unconsciously. In the same ball park, people would do well to ask themselves if they mix white players up who look nothing alike anywhere near as much as black players who, in the case of Palmer and Dabo, share a similar hair style and that's about it! Skin tone, build, height are all totally different. Dangerous territory using the word lazy in this context. It's a racist stereotype but not everyone that's using it is being consciously racist. Rant over.

Clive Eakin cleared of racism.

Hertsccfc

The Best one was the craziest. I have rarely seen a player who put in so much effort.

I also didn't realise that Dabo pulled up on the first goal, and at the time I couldn't understand why he didn't make a challenge.

procdoc

Fuck me all I said is he will frustrate some as looks lazy and now some think its a race issue.

He doesn't track back as much as others and has that ability to look uninterested why still doing a lot of good. Some will like it others will get on his back for it.

its not a race issue just a fucking observation
You’re talking bullocks

PVA

Whilst there were quite a few people saying Palmer was having a poor game I think I only saw one person, repeatedly, say he doesn't work hard enough.

Personally I think he worked incredibly hard off the ball especially as he was presumably being rested last night and instead had to play 90 minutes.

TomRad85

Oh good, random racism row out of nowhere.
On Palmer, he'll probably frustrate a bit but I think he's a decent signing. Massive upgrade on the AM options, O'Hare aside, from last season.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread