Tudgay - New contract or not ? (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

its a no from me.

wiki showing 7 goals in 43 games for us.

Not good enough for player likely to be on a very decent wage

About 30 of them have been off the bench.

letsallsingtogether

I reckon if played week in week out we would see more from him, always seems sharp. Burton away as well
And that there is the reason you cannot compare him to a player who has played regually.
Needs a run in the team before you can make judgement.
stats mean nothing when they are not equal.

letsallsingtogether

its a no from me.

wiki showing 7 goals in 43 games for us.

Not good enough for player likely to be on a very decent wage

How many minutes has he actually played.
So a 15 minute cameo is classed as a game played the other strikers haven't scored for 90 minutes yet you expect him to produce in that time?

stevefloyd

Maybe it's the players around him who are not good enough. Maybe if we had players who could actually take free kicks and corners or players who could put in dangerous crosses, you would see a whole new Tudgay. I don't think you can assign Tudgay any blame for our recent terrible run of form because he has largely been ignored by Mowbray.

I am not blaming Tudgay for our run of bad form if anything he is blameless because he has hardly figured, I am just saying although he is an ok player I think for us to be really pushing we need someone capable of scoring 15 20 goals a season not sure if he can do this and his age is against him now, although better players around him would almost definitely improve his game but by how much can we afford to take the gamble?

Terry Gibson's perm

Good honest pro but doesn't score enough goals, I don't think he had scored 100 goals in his whole career so I can't see him turning into the 15 - 20 goals a season man we need, but I don't want Fortune here either

Hobo

He really looked sharp at the start of the season and the first few games he played in looked like he had goals in him. Then Mowbray put all his faith in Fortune. I rate Tudgay he is a very intelligent player on and off the ball.

Should we keep him? Depends on his wage and who else we could get in. I would prefer some younger faces in the 26-30 bracket.

steve82

This season alone he's played just over 1000 minutes of football and scored 5 goals. That's a return of a goal every 200 odd minutes. Not bad for a player who's being brought on as were chasing a game.
Throughout his whole career he's a 1 in 4 roughly goal return.
He's worth a 1 year contract for his experience alone but obviously a contract would have to reflect how we value him, but that don't mean home will stay. I can see him seeking assurances he plays at least 20-30 games over a campaign, unlike this season.

steve82

Worth noting he's only started 6 games in the league and 1 in the league cup this season snd scored twice.

Last edited:

skybluetony176

Tudgay is a toughie. He only seems to find consistency near the end of his contract. Probably explains why he hasn't been a regular all season. With his ability and experience he should look a million dollars in this league consistently but for my money never has. Except when his contract is nearing an end.

Nick

Administrator
Tudgay is a toughie. He only seems to find consistency near the end of his contract. Probably explains why he hasn't been a regular all season. With his ability and experience he should look a million dollars in this league consistently but for my money never has. Except when his contract is nearing an end.

But you can't find consistency if you aren't playing?

Warwickhunt

We're not going to get another Armstrong next season are we and I think Tuggy has the experience we need so I would give him another year

steve82

Consistency is the key with him, and we've never gave him that under TM. His goals per minutes is quite good, if you compared that to aa's return it's not far off.
AA a goal every 160 mins
Tudgay a goal every 200 mins.
Not bad stats for Tudgay to put on his cv for other clubs in this division looking for a striker to play 20-30 games in a season with his link up play he offers quite a bit.

stupot07

Its alright saying he hasn't been given and consistent run, but even if mowbray renews his contract he isn't going to give him a consistent run out next season either.

Although I said no earlier in this thread, if he was going to renew any of the current strikers contract, I would rather tudgay than fortune or Henderson.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

steve82

Its alright saying he hasn't been given and consistent run, but even if mowbray renews his contract he isn't going to give him a consistent run out next season either.

Although I said no earlier in this thread, if he was going to renew any of the current strikers contract, I would rather tudgay than fortune or Henderson.

I agree that Tudgay would be the pick of the players to keep, you could look at it that TM won't be offering him a deal as he has tended to prefer MAF. Tho if he does keep Tudgay it could be a indication that he's not much else in the pipeline. Have to wait till they announce the retained list towards end of May unless TM comes out and says if there is a deal to offer.

SkyBlue_Bear83

But you can't find consistency if you aren't playing?

He's not good enough to playing regularly if we want to achieve our goals next season.

We could do worse than Tudgay for a third or fourth choice striker but he shouldn't be first or even second choice.

ccfc_Tom

Id give another year - as long as we get another 3 strikers in to go with him. Was a leader when he came on, battled, great touches and passes and of course a great goal.

johnwillomagic

Best striker at the club all round for me by some way and chronically underused - include Armstrong in that comment.
Reckon Tudguy has by far best goals per minutes on park ratio of all the strikers we have?

I think if we had played him and Armstrong together more often or even gone 4-4-2 would have avoided such a big slump.

But agree with comments only worth keeping if he plays more - would give him another year and utilise him far more.
Bin MAF, Henderson and G.Thomas in a heartbeat to keep him - I like Thomas's effort and workrate but never a striker for me.

Plus we will be losing Madders, Murphy and Armstrong so sign him one more year as part of the squad for sure.

stupot07

I'm not sure how you can can make your mind up about G Thomas based on a dozen of substitute appearances as a 16-18 year old. From what I hear he's been outstanding in the 21's this season. Not every player is as good as Armstrong at 18, Wilson didn't get a look in until he was 20.

johnwillomagic

I don't think he is a striker at full level tbh - not saying he is a bad player but just not sure where he plays.
He reminds me a bit of a Palace Lad Jonathan Williams who despite high hopes has not really cut it at first team
level at Palace. He did ok at Yeovil but not spectacularly.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Best striker at the club all round for me by some way and chronically underused - include Armstrong in that comment.
Reckon Tudguy has by far best goals per minutes on park ratio of all the strikers we have?

I think if we had played him and Armstrong together more often or even gone 4-4-2 would have avoided such a big slump.

But agree with comments only worth keeping if he plays more - would give him another year and utilise him far more.
Bin MAF, Henderson and G.Thomas in a heartbeat to keep him - I like Thomas's effort and workrate but never a striker for me.

Plus we will be losing Madders, Murphy and Armstrong so sign him one more year as part of the squad for sure.
Personally think you're wrong here and a good example of what I've been saying about people now overrating tudgay.

Armstrong is a much better striker and for your point about goals to minutes you are wrong, Armstrong goals to minutes is comfortably better than tudgays.

Wouldn't say he has been underused really, decent enough for third or fourth choice striker for the odd 20 minute cameo but shouldn't be near a start unless an injury crisis.

letsallsingtogether

Personally think you're wrong here and a good example of what I've been saying about people now overrating tudgay.

Armstrong is a much better striker and for your point about goals to minutes you are wrong, Armstrong goals to minutes is comfortably better than tudgays.

Wouldn't say he has been underused really, decent enough for third or fourth choice striker for the odd 20 minute cameo but shouldn't be near a start unless an injury crisis.

Who's over rating him we are third division ffs not champions league.

steve82

Consistency is the key with him, and we've never gave him that under TM. His goals per minutes is quite good, if you compared that to aa's return it's not far off.
AA a goal every 160 mins
Tudgay a goal every 200 mins.
Not bad stats for Tudgay to put on his cv for other clubs in this division looking for a striker to play 20-30 games in a season with his link up play he offers quite a bit.

Not quite the best ratio to minutes this season but a fair return.
To ditch George Thomas is crazy, and a believe he's a secondary striker. Not a out and out one. One with a future anyway.

johnwillomagic

This season ccfc as suspected you are talking crap!!! Look at Tudguys goals per minutes played this season compare to Armstorngs
goals per minute played and come back with an apology! I thank you.

SkyBlue_Bear83

This season ccfc as suspected you are talking crap!!! Look at Tudguys goals per minutes played this season compare to Armstorngs
goals per minute played and come back with an apology! I thank you.
Tudgay 202 minutes per goal
Armstrong 162 minutes per goal

lol, you've had a mare mate.

johnwillomagic

I do not believe that is this seasons ratios for a minute but if you want to put THIS SEASONS minutes played to goals
scored onto your reply happy to stand corrected......:thinking about:

AFCCOVENTRY

For some bizarre reason Mowbray has never played Tudgay this season even when we needed something different up front.

So who knows if Tudgay would have got 15 goals or not.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I do not believe that is this seasons ratios for a minute but if you want to put THIS SEASONS minutes played to goals
scored onto your reply happy to stand corrected......:thinking about:
Armstrong has 19 goals in 3072 minutes of football, 162 minutes a goal
Tudgay has 5 goals in 1009 minutes of football, 202 minutes a goal

Bob Latchford

Based on him being a forward - not for me . goals return to poor .

johnwillomagic

That's not the stats that I have for him for this league one season only?
He scored one in about 33 minutes yesterday?
Either way he's ratio is pretty good and worth retaining - would have been nice for him to have played more in tandem with Armstrong imo?

steve82

Tudgay is a fair striker to use but not to spearhead a promotion challenge, he's good to have around to pass on his experience and use more than he has been. Not worth breaking the bank for, but like I say a asset to have for his link up play.
His goals per minutes is quite a good return for the bit part he's played.
I'd like him for another season, on a sensible wage tho.

Terry Gibson's perm

For some bizarre reason Mowbray has never played Tudgay this season even when we needed something different up front.

So who knows if Tudgay would have got 15 goals or not.

the career stats say not likely as he has played 12 seasons and he has never scored 15 goals, the most is 14 in a season and he has only scored 10 or more 4 times.

Users who are viewing this thread