Trump is my favourite comedian of the year already (4 Viewers)

Evo1883

It was lined up to happen long before last week.
And how are the Taliban capable of defeating am army with 4 times the troops that the Yanks spent billions training?
I'd love to see a breakdown of what happened there.
The whole thing stinks.

to protect them and their families lives .

They also share many common values with their taliban brothers , many more than they do with their western allies .
Religion is so powerful too .

The whole thing is a farce you can't change a place with hundreds of years of values in 20 years .

The taliban now have Western equipment and potentially upto 2-300,000 Western trained troops at their disposal .

They are stronger than ever

We should never have gone to begin with

clint van damme

to protect them and their families lives .

They also share many common values with their taliban brothers , many more than they do with their western allies .
Religion is so powerful too .

The whole thing is a farce you can't change a place with hundreds of years of values in 20 years .

The taliban now have Western equipment and potentially upto 2-300,000 Western trained troops at their disposal .

They are stronger than ever

We should never have gone to begin with

Yeah, it seems like a complete waste of time, money, resources and most importantly lives.

I can't see any way this doesn't now become a safe haven for Al Qaeeda, which was what all this was supposed to prevent.

clint van damme

The taliban also control more of Afghanistan than they ever have before too

But apparently less centralised than before so even if the noises they're making about being more progressive are true (and I doubt anyone's buying it) it doesn't mean local leaders adhere to it though I'm sure you know more about their structure than me.

Evo1883

But apparently less centralised than before so even if the noises they're making about being more progressive are true (and I doubt anyone's buying it) it doesn't mean local leaders adhere to it though I'm sure you know more about their structure than me.

Believe it or not no I probably don't.

I know that regions have respected elders who act as community leaders ..

I'm not sure how much influence these people will have under taliban rule on their communities, they will put elders in place who will follow their every order , almost as if for show ..

The country is fucked

Grendel

This one act of withdrawal by Biden will define his presidency and finish him in the US

shmmeee

Thing is there’s no support anywhere on the right or left for it in America. The left are “anti-imperialist” and the right are isolationist. Biden wants to do a load of domestic stuff and is happy to let the rest hang.

Agree the real crime has been not getting allies out. It’s been on the cards for ages, to remove troops and leave them to fend for themselves to the extent they’re hanging on the side of fucking airliners is disgraceful.

Evo1883

Thing is there’s no support anywhere on the right or left for it in America. The left are “anti-imperialist” and the right are isolationist. Biden wants to do a load of domestic stuff and is happy to let the rest hang.

Agree the real crime has been not getting allies out. It’s been on the cards for ages, to remove troops and leave them to fend for themselves to the extent they’re hanging on the side of fucking airliners is disgraceful.

I think most people are disturbed and quite upset at the way it's been handled ...Irrespective of who is to blame

It's almost like a realisation from everybody that it was all for nothing , and that's where the anger begins.

Unfortunately for Biden, he's the man in charge

David O'Day

It's madness if anyone thinks this isn't going to end up kicking Trump as well.

It's his peace deal, he started the process and to pretend that the Taliban would of stuck to their "promises" if he was in charge is also madness

bush ,obama, trump and biden are all to blame and so are blair, brown, Cameron, May and Johnson

Sky Blue Pete

Yep massive mistakes not to have done all this and then leave. Outrageous that will leave a stain on the last 20 years

Grendel

I think most people are disturbed and quite upset at the way it's been handled ...Irrespective of who is to blame

It's almost like a realisation from everybody that it was all for nothing , and that's where the anger begins.

Unfortunately for Biden, he's the man in charge

it was for nothing

Sky Blue Pete

Exactly , and for people like me who went there ..spent time away from loved ones , got in life threatening engagements and worrying if you'd be ok , it hits home harder because we risked so much for fuck all

Most my mates are fucked up in one way or another .. it's tragic
Thanks evo

shmmeee

Exactly , and for people like me who went there ..spent time away from loved ones , got in life threatening engagements and worrying if you'd be ok , it hits home harder because we risked so much for fuck all

Most my mates are fucked up in one way or another .. it's tragic

Not all fuck all mate. You almost certainly extended if not saved some lives and gave people hope. Thanks for your service.

Evo1883

I spent 6 months in Afghanistan, I got out because I didn't want to go back .

I have friends who did 3/4 tours , spending 18 months to 2 years there ..

Then some who went back to Iraq to do security work afterwards
2 have committed suicide

Evo1883

And my lasting gift from the army besides PTSD which I will say is well under control .

Is fucking tinnitus 😆

Grendel

Or we could do what we do to others and put him on trial for war crimes

We may well do , when he's 90

Youd out every leader In Europe in trial - Merkle sent 150,000 troops there. Always the way. The brave leaders sent people to war and remain alive and without a stain - we should never have agreed as allied forces to take part in this nonsense and certainly should now withdraw and never be involved again.

Grendel

Blair needs to fuck off under a rock and stay there.

So you agree with a withdrawal strategy? Guess how many polish troops served there?

robbiekeane

Youd out every leader In Europe in trial - Merkle sent 150,000 troops there. Always the way. The brave leaders sent people to war and remain alive and without a stain - we should never have agreed as allied forces to take part in this nonsense and certainly should now withdraw and never be involved again.
I was far too young to understand the situation properly when September 11th happened and subsequent Afghan war started. From research though and reading up on it over the years, the seeds for this mess seemed to have been planted back during the soviet occupation and funding of the taliban via Pakistan.

What do you think should’ve been the response after 9/11 though? Generally interested because I don’t know as much as others. I do recall reading that the taliban had offered up Bin Laden if he could be tried in a neutral location a few times but the US rejected any kind of conditional offer. Maybe could’ve taken up on one of those.

Or, just tighten security and stay well away?

David O'Day

5,000 of the most hardcore Taliban men including many leaders were released by Trump in exchange for a 3 month cease fire. All done so he could use it in his election campaign.

He can fuck off if he thinks he's coming out of this smelling of roses

Grendel

I was far too young to understand the situation properly when September 11th happened and subsequent Afghan war started. From research though and reading up on it over the years, the seeds for this mess seemed to have been planted back during the soviet occupation and funding of the taliban via Pakistan.

What do you think should’ve been the response after 9/11 though? Generally interested because I don’t know as much as others. I do recall reading that the taliban had offered up Bin Laden if he could be tried in a neutral location a few times but the US rejected any kind of conditional offer. Maybe could’ve taken up on one of those.

Or, just tighten security and stay well away?

Our response should have been to never get involved. It’s unfortunate for the Afghans but let’s not kid ourselves. The Chinese persecution of the Muslim community borders on genocide and we all turn a blind eye. This is a geographically unfortunate country - if we had never been involved - and we should never have been - we’ve lost wars in this hell hole for centuries - we’d be absolved from faux human rights Objections who now think more should go to war and die - let it go and let nature take its course - or invade China and Russia and not be selective on who we care about and who we don’t

Grendel

The only strategy I wanted to see was the not going in the first place.

so do I buy the ship has sailed. What is the solution - allow more troops to die for another 20 years - it’s gone and the whole of NATO supported this occupation

Users who are viewing this thread