Transfer targets (11 Viewers)

Alkhen

McFadzean has taken a penalty and it was awful.

Ah, and I said I wasn't going to comment again! OK that's definitely it now.

Didn't he miss one away against FGR in the Checkatrade? Was one of those odd shootouts after a draw to get 1 extra point? We lost the shootout

Edit: Yes he did. So did Kelly so goes to prove being a senior pro isn't an advantage in a shootout

Screenshot_2024-01-25-10-10-54-509_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Saddlebrains

Out of interest. Do you always hear about every signing we make before it happens? Or do we ever sign people and you were not aware of it?

It used to be a week or so before

A couple have been a long time before, Callum Doyle, Latibeaudiere, Maatsen for example but recently its been tightened up a lot since the Haji in the bush escapades

So on that i shouldnt really take the silence as no ones coming in

Id be very very shocked if we didnt get at least 1 more in

Monty

Penalty shootouts are quite odd really, rather than the team, the pressure is put very much on individuals, when football is a team game but the question really is how else could we separate the teams. After 46 league games, 180 minutes of play off semi's, 120 minutes in a final, not sure penalties seem the best way to decide things, I almost think at that stage the team that finished higher in the league probably should have been promoted. However, that is easy to say as we lost, if we had won on penalties, I'm not sure I'd be thinking the same way.

Ultimately it is for the football governing bodies to look at different ways to finish a game, I almost like the idea of playing on, and wants we get to extra time a player has to be withdrawn from each team every 5 minutes, just the space that will open up will lead to a goal.

SBT

Yep. It was an awful mistake. I was gutted…jubilant when VAR stepped in of course.

The pens were just a lottery, so I was fairly ok with going out in this manner.

I joke about Dabo being the culprit of our defeat but I’ve seen better players than him miss a pen eg Roberto Baggio World Cup final.
Spot on. Losing on penalties was obviously awful but for all the pages of Dabo psycho-analysis that’s followed, you have to accept it’s essentially a game of chance. Losing in the very last minute of the actual game because of a bizarre mistake from a crap loanee CB is much worse, I was devastated (for about 30 seconds).

Offhegoes

To be honest, although it was gut-wrenching to lose in that way to Luton, we were fortunate to get it to penalties. They should of been 3-0 at half time, and although we steadied the ship 2nd half and scored a fantastic goal, I don't remember many chances we created over the 120 mins, apart from maybe the Godden snap shot 2nd half.

Alkhen

Tennai

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Confused Little Girl GIF

I have full amnesia for him

Skyblueweeman

To be honest, although it was gut-wrenching to lose in that way to Luton, we were fortunate to get it to penalties. They should of been 3-0 at half time, and although we steadied the ship 2nd half and scored a fantastic goal, I don't remember many chances we created over the 120 mins, apart from maybe the Godden snap shot 2nd half.
On the flip side, we were unlucky that Gus went off injured. Had he remained on the pitch, momentum was on our side and 'might' have been the difference in the end result. I suspect that if he wasn't in the first 5 penalty takers, he'd have been ahead of Dabo.

All pure conjecture of course.

baldy

Didn't he miss one away against FGR in the Checkatrade? Was one of those odd shootouts after a draw to get 1 extra point? We lost the shootout

Edit: Yes he did. So did Kelly so goes to prove being a senior pro isn't an advantage in a shootout

View attachment 33616

Yeah - lost 8-7
If anyone hasn't yet watched this (Ted Lasso) you need to, brilliantly funny.

No it isn't

Deity

It used to be a week or so before

A couple have been a long time before, Callum Doyle, Latibeaudiere, Maatsen for example but recently its been tightened up a lot since the Haji in the bush escapades

So on that i shouldnt really take the silence as no ones coming in

Id be very very shocked if we didnt get at least 1 more in
Given the high number of transfers over the last 2 seasons that’s a very low hit rate.

that said all info is always welcome from my point of view …

SlowerThanPlatt

On the flip side, we were unlucky that Gus went off injured. Had he remained on the pitch, momentum was on our side and 'might' have been the difference in the end result. I suspect that if he wasn't in the first 5 penalty takers, he'd have been ahead of Dabo.

All pure conjecture of course.
Yep, we at least got 80 minutes out of him. Their captain had to go off after 12 which was as big a loss.

mmttww

Worth people remembering that while we've got money to spend, and no PSR / FFP concerns (yet!), most clubs do. It's really starting to bite in the PL and that trickles down, and clubs in this division will be running scared of a points deduction.

BBC article today on Newcastle spelling out that until their income grows massively, their bottomless pit of money doesn't help them. PL teams recruiting less will mean less players available on loan, less fringe players leaving etc. It all ripples out.

Makes our approach of using markets where these pressures aren't so great even more helpful. Also means the easiest domestic option might be buying standouts from L1 and L2, although all the noise above might mean they can ask for more.

Basically, might be the toughest Jan window for recruitment that we've seen. Patience, innit.

Users who are viewing this thread