Transfer targets (14 Viewers)

JimmyHillsbeard

I was annoyed at Robins for selecting Dabo to take one. Throughout his career at Cov Dabo had never shown anything that suggested he would have the composure and technique required at that moment.

We had already scored FIVE penalties and no doubt some of the anticipated takers (Hamer and Palmer) had been taken off. Rather than blame the manager, I would have thought that some of our “leaders” on the pitch (McFadz and Bidwell were the other outfield non-loanees on the field) would have been prepared to be in the queue ahead of Dabo but you really can’t blame anyone who puts themselves forward in those circumstances.

Brighton Sky Blue

I was annoyed at Robins for selecting Dabo to take one. Throughout his career at Cov Dabo had never shown anything that suggested he would have the composure and technique required at that moment.
Look at who else was still able to take one, we didn’t have many great options. Someone has to miss and of course by Sod’s Law it was one of ours. Not helped by them being able to both go first and shoot in front of their own fans, which doesn’t really seem fair

gspotgaz

Shooting first and at their end was ridiculous for a game of that magnitude. Bidwell should have taken next one but for all we know he didn’t want to take it. We all knew dabo was missing it

TomRad85

Are we sure its not true? We just lost out on the Aldershot lad so recruiting a promising youngster may be part of the plan
We do need to increase the quality of our u21s for sure, I think its the Twitter account in question that makes it unbelievable.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

slowpoke

The “big” money signing talk is still doing the rounds but it’s still all quiet on the Sky Blue front, but that’s the Mark Robins way.

Reactions: JSL

slowpoke

Forever grateful to Robins for all he’s done, our greatest manager in recent history and one for the HOF. Though his decision making on substitutions or for ex. choosing Dabo for the pen last season baffle me. Definitely his Achilles heel.
Who else was going to take them ? Dabo was sixth choice out of eleven it’s ridiculous going on and on about it, it happened, gutted at the time but move on.

edgy

Still maintain we didnt have a 6th pen taker that day. I watched the team closely as they stood in a line on half way. Dabo was on the end, no one stepped forward with conviction. He looked down the line, put his hand/pointed to his chest almost to say "shall I go?".

Football Soccer GIF by Apple TV+

We wern't prepared for sudden death.

slowpoke

That’s not the way the penalty shoot outs work a list is given to the referee from one to eleven and that’s the order they are taken, Dabo was obviously number six.

edgy

That’s not the way the penalty shoot outs work a list is given to the referee from one to eleven and that’s the order they are taken, Dabo was obviously number six.
That's not strictly true.

FIFA LotG state: "Each team is responsible for selecting from the eligible players the order in which they will take the kicks. The referee is not informed of the order."

They may well be informed of the order of the first 5, out of courtesy. I doubt very much a team gives the ref a list of eleven players in order.

WestEndAgro

Still maintain we didnt have a 6th pen taker that day. I watched the team closely as they stood in a line on half way. Dabo was on the end, no one stepped forward with conviction. He looked down the line, put his hand/pointed to his chest almost to say "shall I go?".

Football Soccer GIF by Apple TV+

We wern't prepared for sudden death.
If anyone hasn't yet watched this (Ted Lasso) you need to, brilliantly funny.

SeaSeeEffCee

Nope that was utter bollocks
In the interest of fairness your source also had absolutely no clue about Torp either. Presumably these deals aren’t done in one day so surely should have heard about it prior to the day of the announcement if they know everything about incomings and outgoings?

Saddlebrains

In the interest of fairness your source also had absolutely no clue about Torp either. Presumably these deals aren’t done in one day so surely should have heard about it prior to the day of the announcement if they know everything about incomings and outgoings?

Point well made, thats fair enough

Hertsccfc

Still blame Robins for that personally. Bidwell had to be the 6th taker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is it that you have seen from Bidwell that makes you think that he was a better option than Dabo, particularly if he didn't fancy it? One goal in 78 matches and similar record elsewhere doesn't scream penalty taker to me. That goal the ball bounced off him too.

The idea that Robins should have said no to Dabo and forced Bidwell or McFadzean to take it makes no sense. Unfortunately none of the options looked great so you would always go with whoever was the most willing.

CovLad94

What is it that you have seen from Bidwell that makes you think that he was a better option than Dabo, particularly if he didn't fancy it? The idea that Robins should have said no to Dabo and forced Bidwell or McFadzean to take it makes no sense. Unfortunately none of the options looked great so you would always go with whoever was the most willing.
tbf I'd have backed Fadz to score or Bidwell, or to at least got it on target as soon as Dabo stepped up I knew deep down he would miss.

The Philosopher

What is it that you have seen from Bidwell that makes you think that he was a better option than Dabo, particularly if he didn't fancy it? One goal in 78 matches and similar record elsewhere doesn't scream penalty taker to me.

The idea that Robins should have said no to Dabo and forced Bidwell or McFadzean to take it makes no sense. Unfortunately none of the options looked great so you would always go with whoever was the most willing.
To be fair Bidwell is a set piece taker and has an air of calmness about him Dabo never had. It’s just conjecture but….

baldy

What is it that you have seen from Bidwell that makes you think that he was a better option than Dabo, particularly if he didn't fancy it? One goal in 78 matches and similar record elsewhere doesn't scream penalty taker to me. That goal the ball bounced off him too.

You don't have to have an outstanding goalscoring record to be a penalty taker

Hertsccfc

To be fair Bidwell is a set piece taker and has an air of calmness about him Dabo never had. It’s just conjecture but….
OK this has been done to death, so only one more from me. Any professional footballer is technically capable of scoring a penalty. The hardest part is the pressure attached to it especially in those circumstances. We didn't have great options so we would clearly go with whoever most wanted to take it, or in reality, whoever least didn't want to take it.

Hertsccfc

Or Bidwell shoot?

He looks like he should have a rocket on him but he never hits the ball cleanly. It’s just rock hard left back bias IMO.
McFadzean has taken a penalty and it was awful.

Ah, and I said I wasn't going to comment again! OK that's definitely it now.

Users who are viewing this thread