Transfer targets (11 Viewers)

shepardo01

We enquired about him in the last week of the last window. This has been confirmed by Swift.

West Brom were happy to trade but his wages killed the discussion. Swift needed a pay off to move and West Brom are skint.
He also wasn't interested in the move.

SleepyGinger

Wonder how solid the Nathaniel Adjei links are, would be interesting to see if he came in during the window or in the summer
David Brekalo we were linked with too, think we were definitely in the market for a centre half but you’d think Thomas and Kitching performances and the success of the 4 at the back means it’s no longer a priority.

CoventryUSA

Be surprised if we’re looking to bring in anyone from MLS in January tbh - having not played since October it will take them a long time to get up to speed, we need someone who’s ready to make an immediate impact.

I would much rather the club take the longer view rather than the shorter. Even if he needs January to get fully match fit and in form, then he is available for the playoff push and perhaps even another trip to Wembley in the spring. Even if not, it is a long-term move for a 23-year old CM who would be around for years to come.

As an avid MLS observer and commentator, I think Pereira would slide in very nicely to the midfield. He is a deep-lying playmaker type that is accustomed to being one of the two holding mids in a 4-2-3-1 (Robins' current setup at the moment).

I don't think he replaces Gus. Not sure anyone can replicate his level of ball-winning and goal contributions. However, Pereira is, at least, as talented as Eccles giving more depth in the midfield. Plus, I think he still has at least one more big development spurt in him under the right situation.

Would love for my MLS club to trade for him. He fits the same holes that we have in midfield right now. But I get the sense that Pereira is ready for a jump to Europe - even if to a similar profile league.

More importantly, he is looking for a wage increase. He is only on £1,800/wk. He is worth a lot more than that. If he were to hit the open market in MLS, Pereira would likely command at least £7,500/wk. But he is under contract with Austin for one more year at which point he could sign on a free outside the league. However, with MLS' unique rules, his MLS rights are under club-control for another two seasons. Thus, pushing for a transfer is the best way to get himself a market-rate salary.

JSL

Marc Leonard of Brighton (on loan at Northampton and a Scottish U21) is being touted in several press stories as a possibility

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Fuck it, I've done the scouting list. In my opinion we need: 1x CM, 1x LW, 1x ST. Here are some players from the J-League that fit what we need.

Central Midfield

Kaishu Sano - 23 - Kashima Antlers - 2 full national team caps.

Elite ball winner, very good dribble and fouls won numbers too. Good with both feet which is a nice bonus. Not the most creative though. Won't play a bunch of 40-yard defense splitting passes but will drive upfield with the ball at feet which Sheaf, Eccles etc don't. Has a bit of feistiness to him as well which I like.

Has had a bit of a meteoric rise. Was playing in the 2nd division two years ago, got his move to a Top 5 club in January 2023 and has just been named in Japan's squad for the Asia Cup.

Japan is really, really good at developing central midfielders, so here are two other options past Sano:

Kuryu Matsuki - 20 - plays as an 8 in a 3-man midfield. 1 goal, 3 assists last season. Left footed. Good ball carrier.

Sota Kawasaki - 22 - plays holding midfielder. 2 goals, 1 assist last season. Does simple things very well.

Left Wing

Makoto Mitsuta - 24 - Sanfrecce Hiroshima - 2 full national team caps.

FotMob absolutely loves this bloke, he's their 5th highest rated player in the J1 League, and I can see why. He scores goals and creates them as well. Burst onto the scene with 12 goals + 14 assists in 2022, followed it up with 7 goals + 7 assists in 2023. Great chance creation numbers and he also defends from the front too. Oh and he's a high volume dribbler. Literally the complete package.

The websites say he's an attacking midfielder, but he's definitely playing left wing in some of the highlights I watched. Quality player.

Striker

Mao Hosoya - 22 - Kashiwa Reysol - 4 full national team caps, 1 goal.

Pacy striker who plays on the shoulder on the last defender. Always looking to run in behind. 14 goals in the J1 League last season, 17 in total. Has been linked with Sunderland in recent weeks. Like Sano, was also named in the Japan squad for the Asia Cup, beating out Celtic star Kyogo Furuhashi.

Get Sakamoto to give these 2 a call, Sano and Mitsuta, just what we're looking for and shouldn't break the bank.

WestEndAgro

Sima on loan at Rangers, powerful, quick, skillful youngish (23) would be a excellent signing.
If Brighton don't want him.
Just a suggestion for the summer window.

BlueSkiesForever

I think another Japanese league player would be a great addition to the squad, they’re often overlooked and undervalued yet have great ability and stamina. If we could get another Japanese winger or midfielder then I think that’d be a great move, or someone from a European league that’s young and got bags of potential like Van Ewijk.

I’m sort of tired of the John Swift and Callum Styles types, I’m sure we’re better than that, we either need to spend big on proper quality or go for undervalued potential to train on in the long term if we’re going to make it into the prem in the next 5 years.

AFCCOVENTRY

I think another Japanese league player would be a great addition to the squad, they’re often overlooked and undervalued yet have great ability and stamina. If we could get another Japanese winger or midfielder then I think that’d be a great move, or someone from a European league that’s young and got bags of potential like Van Ewijk.

I’m sort of tired of the John Swift and Callum Styles types, I’m sure we’re better than that, we either need to spend big on proper quality or go for undervalued potential to train on in the long term if we’re going to make it into the prem in the next 5 years.

It’s more exciting getting quality foreign talent I find.

long way home

I imagine can see 2 perms and think they have already been in the works for a while. I also see a prem loan signings someone with pace that fits the group. Young, quick and exciting loan the 2 perms 1 will be ready made other i think will be a a slow burner that will be a player from abroad.

skyblueelephant76

More likely I would think. It grants him a green card which I presume he desperately wanted sorted before the possibility of leaving the country for his football career.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
It's not a permanent visa and he'll risk losing it if he spends a considerable amount of time out of the country.

It's a big risk to take for his family if he went to Europe and it didn't work out.

TomRad85

It's not a permanent visa and he'll risk losing it if he spends a considerable amount of time out of the country.

It's a big risk to take for his family if he went to Europe and it didn't work out.
It also grants him a green card.

TomRad85

A greencard only allows you to be out of the US for up to a year.
I'm sure there will be people available to advise. Green card is the best he's going to get to unless he plans on spending his whole career in the US it seems likely now would be a good opportunity.

skyblueelephant76

I'm sure there will be people available to advise. Green card is the best he's going to get to unless he plans on spending his whole career in the US it seems likely now would be a good opportunity.

It just makes no sense to spend all this time getting the US visa and security for his family then move straightaway to Europe.

He's also apparently off to LA anyway:

BlueSkiesForever

I’m not sure on his current terms or contract etc but anyone else think that Kwame Poku could be a great signing from Peterborough? Great bench option if we want to increase our depth in wide areas?

TomRad85

It just makes no sense to spend all this time getting the US visa and security for his family then move straightaway to Europe.

He's also apparently off to LA anyway:

OK mate, its just a transfer rumour that seemed too random to be completely made up, especially now this player who has absolutely nothing to do with us is liking our social media posts.
Maybe he'll go to LA... maybe he'll come here. Its just a bit of fun. Ultimately, all players with ambition will want to try their hand in Europe though.

skyblueelephant76

OK mate, its just a transfer rumour that seemed too random to be completely made up, especially now this player who has absolutely nothing to do with us is liking our social media posts.
Maybe he'll go to LA... maybe he'll come here. Its just a bit of fun. Ultimately, all players with ambition will want to try their hand in Europe though.

I'd be very happy to be wrong as he looks a good player but when you read about his journey as an asylum seeker it seems crazy he'd risk having to go back to Venezuela.

TomRad85

I’d take Hosoya out of that list too. We could do a Celtic and just take a few Japanese players like they seem to do… works well for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We don't play against the Dog & Duck every week like they do unfortunately.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

We don't play against the Dog & Duck every week like they do unfortunately.

Excited School GIF

Users who are viewing this thread