Transfer targets (5 Viewers)

AFCCOVENTRY

Lol… Burnley doing Burnley things… they’ve bud £7m for Jack Clarke. Sunderland fans fuming… haha

covmark

With respect you are talking bollox, he needs to make sure our club is run properly from top to bottom, he’s started by putting the most important MR & AV on proper extended contracts, I’m sure he will back them.
I think the season ticket sales will back him up too, we have sold 9000 already.
So very little money being available from player sales for Robins would be acceptable?

covmark

Depends if it spent on infrastructure like the training facilities which are clearly way behind the times
Not much point having championship quality infrastructure, but don't spend money on championship quality players. Or at least potential championship quality.

NorthernWisdom

Not much point having championship quality infrastructure, but don't spend money on championship quality players. Or at least potential championship quality.
Get the infrastructure right and it becomes easier to ride out temporary blips in playing form - a bad dressing for us ATM could be be disastrous, but if the foundations are right it can be corrected more easily.

Skybluedownunder

GK/Wilson/Tyler
RWB/RWB/Burroughs
LWB/Dasilva
CB/CB/CB/CB/Fadz
CM/Hamer/Howley
Sheaf/Eccles/Kelly
AM/Palmer/O’Hare/Allen
ST/ST/ST/Godden/Tavares

13 signings, Moore and Bidwell out, solid base of 22/23 Championship players and the likes of Tavares, Howley and Burroughs at the fringes.

Kelly played well in the run in and showed he can still do a role for us but part of me would rather find someone who can take over instead for the long term.

With players out there like Jason Knight and Max Bird who are like 22 yrs old and could be part of our long term future I would have preferred to have a look around and if we can’t secure one then give Kelly a deal.

Hopefully what we have offered him is low and he will have to take longer to think about it or whether he will want to shop around himself to buy ourselves some time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skybluedownunder

Not saying really we don't. I'm saying the more signings we look to make the chances of it going wrong increases which is why I've long been concerned about this window.

With more signings needed to be brought in the likelihood that they're not the club's primary targets increases, meaning the uncertainty around the signing subsequently increases as often consolidations have to be made. As it's pretty common for clubs of our stature not to get their first, second or even third choice targets in any given transfer window.

Which is generally as a rule of thumb why I think signing a huge number of players in one given window rarely comes off as there's only a finite amount of time a resource for managers and backroom teams to spend on bringing players in, meaning the risk/reward ratio gets ever more lopsided as more players are brought in.

One thing that will work in our favour this year when getting first, second, third picks will be league position, players will want to come to us because we finished 5th and got to the playoff final, that will hold some weight

Skybluedownunder

With respect you are talking bollox, he needs to make sure our club is run properly from top to bottom, he’s started by putting the most important MR & AV on proper extended contracts, I’m sure he will back them.
I think the season ticket sales will back him up too, we have sold 9000 already.

Does this mean the panic is over about people saying where are the season tickets?

Skybluedownunder

Disagree

don’t get me wrong infrastructure is important but the team on the pitch comes first

Apparently we’ve been rejected loads of times cause players look at the training ground and say fuckkkk thatttt and go somewhere else

South West Sky Blue

I’m hoping that we’re due money from any sale of Maddison. Say he gets sold for £50m, that would be a Leicester profit of around £28m.
As a guess, Norwich get £2.8m, and we get around 10% of that. Not much, but better than nothing and can help in the transfer market.
I’m speculating on the existence of clauses and the percentages.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

In all fairness while he often spouts rubbish he probably isn't all that wrong. I'd imagine a significant proportion of the Gyokeres fee will be set aside for investing into infrastructure and to cover operational costs for the forthcoming season. Then you have to factor in whatever monies are owed to Brighton and whether the club has repaid its EFL loan which from memory was over £2m.

Meaning I highly doubt anything more than a quarter of whatever the club receives will be invested back into the squad.
Considering his fee is likely to be almost the only thing that will provide us with the funds to both replace him and improve the squad then if we don't invest a decent proportion of it into the squad chances are we're going to do a lot worse than last season.

Plus if we're relying on that to cover infrastructure and operational costs how the hell are we going to cover them in future? A £15-20m player sale isn't going to happen often.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

So what you are saying is to fill the gaps, you'd take 10 players that had the same qualities as players we have released because there are gaps to be filled.

Over my suggestion of taking 5/6 players who you pay a little more for and are actually an improvement on what we had previously, i.e quality over quantity.

Maybe it's who you isn't really grasping what I am saying, probably best that if you don't understand then not to reply as I am not sure I can dumb it down for you anymore.
But then you increase the risk as you're playing pretty much with just a matchday squad.

Injuries are inevitable, and if you're playing players almost every minute of every game then the stress on their bodies makes injuries even more likely, meaning the remaining players have to play even more and thus make themselves even more likely to get injured and so on....

Of course we need quality, but we have to make sure we also have the quantity to withstand the rigours of a long, tough season. For that we'd need a squad of at least 25 that we'd be confident could play regularly at the required standard. Sure we can fill the bench out with kids but they're never going to actually get a game.

Hincha

We don't need 25 Championship quality players as some have suggested. I think you actually only need 20 or 21 players Robins trusts to play & are Championship quality with 4 or 5 youth players pushing for minutes (Howley, Burroughs, Tavares, Rus).

Man City only have around 18 or 19 players who Pep plays regularly & trusts.

Last year we only had around 16 players available by the end of the season who Robins trusted to play and it is probably why we fell short.

Looking to next year we probably need (assuming Vik leaves):

Wilson/Moore
RWB/RWB
Fadz/CB/CB/CB
Da Silva/Bidwell
Hamer/Sheaf/Eccles/Kelly
Palmer/O'Hare/Allen/AM
Godden/ST/ST

Minimum 8 more signings for 21 players. Maybe 9 to get a development CB as emergency back up 5th choice.

If Hamer/Bidwell/Moore/Kelly all go then more signings to directly replace them.

Colin Steins Smile

We don't need 25 Championship quality players as some have suggested. I think you actually only need 20 or 21 players Robins trusts to play & are Championship quality with 4 or 5 youth players pushing for minutes (Howley, Burroughs, Tavares, Rus).

Last year we only had around 16 players available by the end of the season who Robins trusted to play and it is probably why we fell short.

Wilson/Moore
RWB/RWB
Fadz/CB/CB/CB
Da Silva/Bidwell
Hamer/Sheaf/Eccles/Kelly
Palmer/O'Hare/Allen/AM
Godden/ST/ST

Minimum 8 more signings for 21 players. Maybe 9 to get a development CB as emergency back up 5th choice.

If Hamer/Bidwell/Moore/Kelly all go then more signings to directly replace them.
Well said Hincha.
In addition to the player recruitment the investment in Rytons facilities and pitches & CBS pitch this summer is important.
I can’t help think that there was a link between the number of calf and other soft tissue injuries and our current training surface.
Obviously, the intensity of our fixture schedule thanks to wasps and the World Cup were also factors in the injury toll.

AFCCOVENTRY

Apparently we’ve been rejected loads of times cause players look at the training ground and say fuckkkk thatttt and go somewhere else

Ryton is pretty poor in this day and age. Think
Well said Hincha.
In addition to the player recruitment the investment in Rytons facilities and pitches & CBS pitch this summer is important.
I can’t help think that there was a link between the number of calf and other soft tissue injuries and our current training surface.
Obviously, the intensity of our fixture schedule thanks to wasps and the World Cup were also factors in the injury toll.

Ryton needs significant investment. It’s not an elite sports facility.

Balli001

Disagree

don’t get me wrong infrastructure is important but the team on the pitch comes first
All these injuries this year could be down to the basic facilties too. What's the point in signing players who could get injured after a week? Sorry but off the pitch is far more important and long term than signing a player for millions.

Skyblue_CP

I think obviously there’s needs to be a middle ground found in terms of squad investment & investment in facilities. I walked past Swansea’s training ground on the way to the match last year and it was superb. Big modern building at the forefront with a big car park, several grass pitches, astro pitch with games etc on and then a huge indoor centre at the back. If you had the option of that place or Ryton then it would 100% sway your decision, no doubt.

Deity

Wilson/Moore
RWB/RWB
Fadz/CB/CB/CB
Da Silva/Bidwell
Hamer/Sheaf/Eccles/Kelly
Palmer/O'Hare/Allen/AM
Godden/ST/ST

So we need 8-9 new players unless those players we know are likely to leave, do so !. Then it’s 12-13 which is what others were suggesting in the first place ! 🙄

Grendel

Do you have any evidence of that?

Skybluedownunder

Do you have any evidence of that?

It was in one of the CET posts once before, also from memory one of the ITK’s said it. This piece I’ve just found from googling it also touches on it ever so slightly in that other clubs take players to their state of the art training facilities and we just show them the Arena

Terry Gibson's perm

The players first thoughts will be money on offer , length of contract and the area. The training ground might come into it then if everything else was equal.

RoboCCFC90

Wilson/Moore
RWB/RWB
Fadz/CB/CB/CB
Da Silva/Bidwell
Hamer/Sheaf/Eccles/Kelly
Palmer/O'Hare/Allen/AM
Godden/ST/ST

As it stands we have 17 players listed as first team players. Take Kelly out as he is out of contract and not yet agreed a new one, you are left with 16.

5/6 quality additions would be brilliant IMO, I wouldn't go further than 8 though.

16 players were released between first team and U23's, need to use these wages wisely in bringing in quality players for the first team. U23 can be balanced with players from U18s.

skyblueinswansea

I think obviously there’s needs to be a middle ground found in terms of squad investment & investment in facilities. I walked past Swansea’s training ground on the way to the match last year and it was superb. Big modern building at the forefront with a big car park, several grass pitches, astro pitch with games etc on and then a huge indoor centre at the back. If you had the option of that place or Ryton then it would 100% sway your decision, no doubt.
Concerning thing for us is this isn’t even the Swansea first team training ground if you are referring to the site next to the ground. This is for the academy and all the in the community stuff. Their training facilities are a step up again but about 25 min drive from the ground. Obviously if you are on about the site by Swansea airport then yeah it’s a lot better than Ryton.

Terry Gibson's perm

Having a super training ground has worked well for Leicester maybe if they had diverted some of the money they have spent on golf courses there to buying players they might have stopped up.

Training grounds are important but there value might be a bit overplayed by a manager who hasn’t managed to attract the player.

Balli001

Having a super training ground has worked well for Leicester maybe if they had diverted some of the money they have spent on golf courses there to buying players they might have stopped up.

Training grounds are important but there value might be a bit overplayed by a manager who hasn’t managed to attract the player.
They also won the premier league whats your point?

Users who are viewing this thread