Transfer targets (24 Viewers)

SlowerThanPlatt

It’s deluded that our owner should be putting some of his own money into the club so we can buy just decent 3 players? Alright then 😂
It’s not like I’m saying we should be spending £1 billion like other clubs, just 3 decent players would sort us out.
It’s deluded to think Doug King is going to, yes. There’s no evidence or hint he can finance the club beyond player sales.

Legia Sky Blue

Yeah fair enough about other clubs but I’m not sure if £10 mil really is a lot these days, it’s a lot in terms of pure hard cash to the average Joe Bloggs on the street but in terms of football it’s not a lot. I’m not exactly sure what Doug has or hasn’t spent but just on paper it seems that he’s yet to spend any of his own cash on players.

I think with the supposed £7 million profit we have so far this season, maybe add £5-7 million of Doug’s own cash to that (if he has it) and we’d have a decent stack to buy quality players with. I’m clearly just speculating but I’d like to think our club owner has more than £2.50 to rub together 😂

Doug King undoubtedly has more than £2.50 to his name, but expecting him to put £5-7m of his own money in is truly fanciful, and nothing he, MR or anyone else has said indicates its a remote possibility. If he did look to provide extra funding, rather than from his own pocket it would undoubtedly be in the form of a loan, taken on in the club's name, which could obviously backfire.

SBT

Cheers for that. So does this come back on Austin? Someone’s advising Doug, he surely can’t be just throwing whatever money The other team wants without some advice
Well if you take Robins at his word (and I do) then it's very clear - "it's ultimately down to the owner"

I certainly hope he takes advice on these things given his complete lack of football knowledge, but it's apparently not Robins who's weighing in on fees

shmmeee

Cheers for that. So does this come back on Austin? Someone’s advising Doug, he surely can’t be just throwing whatever money The other team wants without some advice

This is my worry. He’s come in, not taken advice generally (see ticket debacle etc), and seems to think he knows best. Which makes me worried about how he’s been negotiating with experienced Chairmen.

BlueSkiesForever

It’s deluded to think Doug King is going to, yes. There’s no evidence or hint he can finance the club beyond player sales.
So you’re saying the only way the club can get more money is to buy better players, grow talent and then sell them on for profit? But who are we selling for profit? I’m not saying Simms or Wright are bad but there’s no way they’re worth more than we bought them for? And Eccles and Sheaf and Lati etc, they’re not worth much either. I’m not saying you’re wrong but I seriously hope Doug is going to invest in us properly otherwise we’re going to be going nowhere fast. We’ve already seen what selling our best players year on year has done to us.

shmmeee

So you’re saying the only way the club can get more money is to buy better players, grow talent and then sell them on for profit? But who are we selling for profit? I’m not saying Simms or Wright are bad but there’s no way they’re worth more than we bought them for? And Eccles and Sheaf and Lati etc, they’re not worth much either. I’m not saying you’re wrong but I seriously hope Doug is going to invest in us properly otherwise we’re going to be going nowhere fast. We’ve already seen what selling our best players year on year has done to us.

I imagine our big hope is that Vik goes for £80m

SlowerThanPlatt

That’s exactly what I’m saying

StrettoBoy

I think people forget that the club was hocked up to the hilt to Arvo Master Fund (a Cayman Islands company owned by Sisu) and Doug King paid this all off when he took over on 11th January. I don't know how much he had to find but I have seen figures of up to £70 million bandied about. It may have been less but whatever the truth it was clearly a substantial figure. He also tried to buy the ground for about £25 million if I remember correctly.

As fans we doubtless want to see big money spent on players but to say that DK hasn't dug deep into his pocket is ridiculous. The club is now on a sound financial footing and debt free. I am confident that, under DK's ownership, the dark days of administration are a thing of the past.

Sick Boy

I think people forget that the club was hocked up to the hilt to Arvo Master Fund (a Cayman Islands company owned by Sisu) and Doug King paid this all off when he took over on 11th January. I don't know how much he had to find but I have seen figures of up to £70 million bandied about. It may have been less but whatever the truth it was clearly a substantial figure. He also tried to buy the ground for about £25 million if I remember correctly.

As fans we doubtless want to see big money spent on players but to say that DK hasn't dug deep into his pocket is ridiculous. The club is now on a sound financial footing and debt free. I am confident that, under DK's ownership, the dark days of administration are a thing of the past.
It’s amazing people actually take all this at face value.

Deity

It’s amazing people actually take all this at face value.
It doesn’t matter whether king paid £25m, £50m or simply wrote off money owed to him by SUSU from another transaction. So far he has tried to drive more ambition and higher standards into the club. He’s been open and accessible …. Not something many owners are and not something our previous owners were.

It is too early to judge the success of our summer transfers. If they are underperforming this time next year then you can judge but most were not proven championship players and will need time to adapt. Yes that is frustrating but it’s also a fact of life.

The price we paid for them also needs to be seen in the context of a hugely inflated transfer market. Look at what we sold Vik and Hamer for. In most seasons a champ club doesn’t get £35m for any 2 players with so little left on their contract.

Cally Fedora

King got £35m for Gyokeres and Hamer so I’ve got no worries about his negotiating skills. The only summer signing that’s underperformed for me is Simms and he’s not had much time. Clubs like us really can’t spend as much as we bring in. That’s how we survive. If we spend £5m in Jan I’ll be more than happy.

BlueSkiesForever

I too think that under Doug King we will be better off but others on here have suggested that buying 2-3 players that we clearly need is extravagant. I don’t know how much Doug has or hasn’t got but I just think that around £7 mil of his own cash (assuming he’s a multi-millionaire) isn’t that much to ask considering that the large bulk of our team is there, we just need that extra push to get us to becoming a Prem-worthy side.
This isn’t aimed at anyone in particular and it’s not an anti-Doug post, I just think we should all be hoping for that little extra to get us from scrabbling around the bottom half to being a consistent top 6 side.

BlueSkiesForever

I’d like to see maybe Million Manhoef from Vitesse. He’s a 21 year old winger that can also play full back 13 games and 4 goals this season 3.5m value could be a cheap punt

Tbf I’ve just watched a highlight reel of him and he does look pretty decent, seems more than just a punt to me. I’m obviously no expert but I’d personally say £3.5 mil is fair with today’s prices.

shmmeee

So what is it that you don't believe and what is your evidence?

You’re the one making claims (Doug has spent significantly) it’s on you to provide the evidence.

The most likely scenario is he took the club off Joy for nothing because it was haemorrhaging money, had a finance deal on the off chance he could snipe the stadium, and has so far spent what we’ve earned in sales.

NorthernWisdom

You’re the one making claims (Doug has spent significantly) it’s on you to provide the evidence.

The most likely scenario is he took the club off Joy for nothing because it was haemorrhaging money, had a finance deal on the off chance he could snipe the stadium, and has so far spent what we’ve earned in sales.
He hasn't actually spent everything we've earned in sales yet has he?

So we still have room to buy in tht respect?

What he did say is he'd cover operating losses. We'll see how that pans out...

Users who are viewing this thread