Transfer targets (30 Viewers)

BlueSkiesForever

I personally think we should continue looking at the European markets, trying to hoover up good players in teams that are overlooked by the likes of Prem teams. Both Sakamoto and Van Ewijk came from sides I hadn’t even considered and they’re turning out to be some of our best players this season.

I don’t know why but I’ve been hoping we’d get someone from a Spanish league or German league, feel like the Spanish and Germans churn out good ball playing midfielders time and time again. You think of the all the minor teams there are in all the divisions around Europe, there’s bound to be some hidden gems in there.
(Also think we need a bit more height in the midfield, it was clearly lacking when we played Ayari, O’Hare, Eccles, Allen etc the other day.)

I’d buy Brekalo, the defence will be sorted for next season then. McFadz has been great but he’s really getting on now and isn’t quick enough for a back 4, I think this should be his last season tbh. We need a quality box-to-box midfielder, maybe a winger that can dribble well, a RB back-up and maybe even another CAM if O’Hare goes. Not that arsed about keeping him atm, maybe my view will be changed in a few months but I think he looks miles off it atm. We haven’t got the cash for all that obviously but I think we need at least 2 new players from those 4 positions.

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

I personally think we should continue looking at the European markets, trying to hoover up good players in teams that are overlooked by the likes of Prem teams. Both Sakamoto and Van Ewijk came from sides I hadn’t even considered and they’re turning out to be some of our best players this season.

I don’t know why but I’ve been hoping we’d get someone from a Spanish league or German league, feel like the Spanish and Germans churn out good ball playing midfielders time and time again. You think of the all the minor teams there are in all the divisions around Europe, there’s bound to be some hidden gems in there.
(Also think we need a bit more height in the midfield, it was clearly lacking when we played Ayari, O’Hare, Eccles, Allen etc the other day.)

I’d buy Brekalo, the defence will be sorted for next season then. McFadz has been great but he’s really getting on now and isn’t quick enough for a back 4, I think this should be his last season tbh. We need a quality box-to-box midfielder, maybe a winger that can dribble well, a RB back-up and maybe even another CAM if O’Hare goes. Not that arsed about keeping him atm, maybe my view will be changed in a few months but I think he looks miles off it atm. We haven’t got the cash for all that obviously but I think we need at least 2 new players from those 4 positions.
The pressure of following on from our last German player might be too much.

skybluecam

Players from Spain and Germany would be far more expensive than Belgium, the Netherlands and Turkey.

We don’t need another centre back.

Wingers and CM have to be the priority.

Frostie

Makes no sense for either side. We’ve just spent £12m on strikers and he’d probably come in as third choice.
Agreed. I think that account is just saying it's the sort of player we'd look at & I'm sure we have. I'd have been all for it last summer but makes little sense now.

BlueSkiesForever

Players from Spain and Germany would be far more expensive than Belgium, the Netherlands and Turkey.

We don’t need another centre back.

Wingers and CM have to be the priority.

I agree that players from Spain or Germany would be more expensive but I think they’d probably bring more ability, confidence and experience on the ball as well, what we really need for that CM position is immediate quality rather than another player we can train up over years and years.

I disagree that we don’t need another CB however, yes currently we don’t need another one but if Binks goes back next season and McFadz retires/leaves then we’re down to just 3 CB’s and even Lati isn’t a proper out and out CB such as the likes of Kitching and Thomas, I see Lati as more of a “defensive player” that can slot into a number of different defensive roles. I think a proper quality CB maybe like Brekalo would strengthen our squad no end.

I’m not aiming this at you personally Cam but I just think generally we need to act like a Prem team if we want to be in the Prem, yes we don’t have a Prem budget but we should be planning ahead for the next few seasons so we have a fully developed and “gelled” squad ready to go. We can’t afford stuttery starts like we’ve had this season if we want to be pushing for top 6 every season.

skybluecam

I agree that players from Spain or Germany would be more expensive but I think they’d probably bring more ability, confidence and experience on the ball as well, what we really need for that CM position is immediate quality rather than another player we can train up over years and years.

I disagree that we don’t need another CB however, yes currently we don’t need another one but if Binks goes back next season and McFadz retires/leaves then we’re down to just 3 CB’s and even Lati isn’t a proper out and out CB such as the likes of Kitching and Thomas, I see Lati as more of a “defensive player” that can slot into a number of different defensive roles. I think a proper quality CB maybe like Brekalo would strengthen our squad no end.

I’m not aiming this at you personally Cam but I just think generally we need to act like a Prem team if we want to be in the Prem, yes we don’t have a Prem budget but we should be planning ahead for the next few seasons so we have a fully developed and “gelled” squad ready to go. We can’t afford stuttery starts like we’ve had this season if we want to be pushing for top 6 every season.
We’ve currently got 5 CBs for 2 spots in the team, 6 would be overkill and Brekalo would be a misuse of resources.

Wingers are the big hole in the squad.

Legia Sky Blue

I think Al Hammadi is someone that can play at a higher level than League 2, but the question is how high. At only 21 he must have a big upside potentially so I could see a Championship side coming in for him in January.

BlueSkiesForever

We’ve currently got 5 CBs for 2 spots in the team, 6 would be overkill and Brekalo would be a misuse of resources.

I agree completely that we currently need more wingers (and also experience/confidence in midfield) but come next season we may be left with only 3 CB’s, one of which - Lati - isn’t a “proper” CB in my eyes, he’s good but not the same type of player as Kitching or Thomas. So going into next season we could be left with no solid CB back up. I think Brekalo would be a great addition and buying him in January, after Viking have finished their season, would give him time to settle into the squad ready for next season.

Let’s face it, this season is just about rebuilding, we’re not going up, we just need to build a solid squad ready for next season. I think we should be looking long term and buying wingers and anyone else that we need ready for August rather than reacting last minute and having this long period of “gelling” like we did this season, hence why I think we should get Brekalo (+ wingers) in January.

JimmyHillsbeard

Brekalo hasn’t t played since October when he got injured. Was only supposed to be a niggle but he’s missed more than a month at the business end of both the domestic season in Norway and his country’s qualification for the Euros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skybluecam

I agree completely that we currently need more wingers (and also experience/confidence in midfield) but come next season we may be left with only 3 CB’s, one of which - Lati - isn’t a “proper” CB in my eyes, he’s good but not the same type of player as Kitching or Thomas. So going into next season we could be left with no solid CB back up. I think Brekalo would be a great addition and buying him in January, after Viking have finished their season, would give him time to settle into the squad ready for next season.

Let’s face it, this season is just about rebuilding, we’re not going up, we just need to build a solid squad ready for next season. I think we should be looking long term and buying wingers and anyone else that we need ready for August rather than reacting last minute and having this long period of “gelling” like we did this season, hence why I think we should get Brekalo (+ wingers) in January.
There's no way we can afford to buy a top quality CM + Brekalo + a winger or two in Jan.

BlueSkiesForever

There's no way we can afford to buy a top quality CM + Brekalo + a winger or two in Jan.

I agree, but we should. If Doug wants to see this 5 year plan come to fruition then he needs to spend some serious cash. I get that he runs it like a businessman should but in order to get that £150 million+ cash prize that the club receives from entering the Prem then we need a complete squad that’s capable of getting into the Prem in the first place. Those 3-4 players would probably set us back about £15-£20 mil but my thoughts are that if we don’t have a fully gelled squad ready for next season that’s capable of getting into the top 6 year on year then he may as well save his cash and just walk away now.

skybluecam

I agree, but we should. If Doug wants to see this 5 year plan come to fruition then he needs to spend some serious cash. I get that he runs it like a businessman should but in order to get that £150 million+ cash prize that the club receives from entering the Prem then we need a complete squad that’s capable of getting into the Prem in the first place. Those 3-4 players would probably set us back about £15-£20 mil but my thoughts are that if we don’t have a fully gelled squad ready for next season that’s capable of getting into the top 6 year on year then he may as well save his cash and just walk away now.
We don’t have £15-20m to spend in Jan ffs what are you smoking

BlueSkiesForever

We don’t have £15-20m to spend in Jan ffs what are you smoking

How do you know how much Doug does or doesn’t have? I’m not saying he does have bags of cash to spend but I’m saying he should be dipping into his pocket more than he has so far. We’re in £7-8 million profit for the season, there’s no reason why Doug can’t spend another £8-10 million. He’s bought a championship football club, he must realise that he has to invest his own money into players if he wants to take us to the Prem.

skybluecam

How do you know how much Doug does or doesn’t have? I’m not saying he does have bags of cash to spend but I’m saying he should be dipping into his pocket more than he has so far. We’re in £7-8 million profit for the season, there’s no reason why Doug can’t spend another £8-10 million. He’s bought a championship football club, he must realise that he has to invest his own money into players if he wants to take us to the Prem.
Because I know what reality is?

Wages will have increased significantly which eats into that budget, and there’s absolutely no way King puts in £10m out of his own pocket off the bat.

BlueSkiesForever

Because I know what reality is?

Wages will have increased significantly which eats into that budget, and there’s absolutely no way King puts in £10m out of his own pocket off the bat.

When you look at what teams spend these days though £10 mil isn’t significant, it sounds a lot to us but it hardly gets you anything in football these days. It’s only 1/100th of what Chelsea spent this year, 1/100th, and yes we’ve got nowhere the budget that Chelsea has got but should we really be setting our bar that low that we think its extravagant if Doug spends £10 mil of his own cash?

Again, I’m not arguing personally at you here and I don’t know what Doug has or hasn’t got to spend, but I’d certainly hope that he’s got more than enough cash to buy us 3 players in any given transfer window.

Hincha

I think we will move & spend for the right players. Definitely a midfielder and maybe one other. But more likely a just the midfielder and a couple of loans.

The value for money in January is usually low - hence why most teams utilise the loan market.

There is also no point in overloading positions. A permanent CB will be necessary next summer. If we do it in January, it will be bloated with too many not playing.

SlowerThanPlatt

When you look at what teams spend these days though £10 mil isn’t significant, it sounds a lot to us but it hardly gets you anything in football these days. It’s only 1/100th of what Chelsea spent this year, 1/100th, and yes we’ve got nowhere the budget that Chelsea has got but should we really be setting our bar that low that we think its extravagant if Doug spends £10 mil of his own cash?
Leeds and Leicester were the only clubs to spend more than us in the summer.

£10m is clearly a lot in the Championship.

Tomh111

I agree with you, but context is vital. Not many squads needed the quantity of players that ours did.

What did we have left from the Starting XI of the playoff final?

6 players from the XI and 10 from the 18 squad.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

skybluecam

Again, I’m not arguing personally at you here and I don’t know what Doug has or hasn’t got to spend, but I’d certainly hope that he’s got more than enough cash to buy us 3 players in any given transfer window.
just deluded

BlueSkiesForever

Yeah fair enough about other clubs but I’m not sure if £10 mil really is a lot these days, it’s a lot in terms of pure hard cash to the average Joe Bloggs on the street but in terms of football it’s not a lot. I’m not exactly sure what Doug has or hasn’t spent but just on paper it seems that he’s yet to spend any of his own cash on players.

I think with the supposed £7 million profit we have so far this season, maybe add £5-7 million of Doug’s own cash to that (if he has it) and we’d have a decent stack to buy quality players with. I’m clearly just speculating but I’d like to think our club owner has more than £2.50 to rub together 😂

Sky Blue Harry H

just 3 decent players would sort us out.

Not easy buying 3 decent players in the January window. Why would clubs be letting them go )unless for way inflated prices) Maybe one, then possibly a loan. Wait until the summer for the right players. we are highly unlikely to be going up or down, so why fritter money at inflated prices just for the sake of it.

BlueSkiesForever

Not easy buying 3 decent players in the January window. Why would clubs be letting them go )unless for way inflated prices) Maybe one, then possibly a loan. Wait until the summer for the right players. we are highly unlikely to be going up or down, so why fritter money at inflated prices just for the sake of it.

Yeah good point tbf, we probably won’t get anyone decent this window but it’s nice to dream. I still think we need a quality CM and a winger, although if anyone is available then it’s certainly Brekalo as they’ve either finished their season now or are just about to.

Skybluedownunder

Surely there’s players like O’Hare that are out of contract in the summer and it’s better to get something for them than nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlowerThanPlatt

Keep forgetting Binks isn’t our player, unless arranged to become permanent in the summer, Bologna might want him back to send elsewhere.

Not featured since the Rotherham game and change to a back four isn’t going to be to his benefit.

SBT

Yeah fair enough about other clubs but I’m not sure if £10 mil really is a lot these days, it’s a lot in terms of pure hard cash to the average Joe Bloggs on the street but in terms of football it’s not a lot. I’m not exactly sure what Doug has or hasn’t spent but just on paper it seems that he’s yet to spend any of his own cash on players.
It's a huge amount for the vast majority of Championship clubs. Unless you're a recently relegated club playing with house money, it's extremely rare to spend the kind of money that we spent on Haji Wright, for example.

Users who are viewing this thread