Transfer Priorities (2 Viewers)

SkyBlueCRJ

That’s the thing I’m trying to explain, but didn’t put it across too well I think.

We need a type of striker who can bully a defence and take central defenders into areas and battles most really don’t want to go to, like your Matt Rheads and Tom Popes. Yet they have limited ability on the ball, or not as comfortable with the ball at there feet and prefer it in the air where they thrive.

James Collins is a better version you rightly point out who I forgot to include bizarrely. Him and Jayden Stockley are the more common ground I’d like to see as they can play both aspects of the game. Comfortable on the ball but are happy to go to war and get rough.

As pointed out these type of strikers are hard to find who aren’t in the age brackets of your 32+ club and the ones who can play and be physical are playing at a higher level.

You can find a few senior pros but come with battle scars of a long career like Alex Revel, Marc Richards where the legs are failing now.

This the type of striker I feel we need to assist getting out L2 from November to early March when we’re slugging it out on poor pitches when the football isn’t pretty or in tight games to occupy the central defenders for the clever players like McNulty to find the pockets of space to get the goals.

Think I’ve explained it better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But once again it comes back to the issue of who is out there that's affordable or in fact a reasonable acquisition? Port Vale were demanding in excess of 300K for Pope's services, and Alex Revel, Matt Rhead and Marc Richards are all under contract and would command a fee (would this be the best use of funds for a 34/5 year old).

Although I'd snap your right hand off for one of the two, acquiring either James Collins and Jaydon Stockley would be miles out of our price range. Collins wouldn't drop down a league. Stockley will probably find himself in League One in the summer, wouldn't surprise me if it was for a play-off contender.

If Robins is keen on acquiring a striker of this fit arguably his only alternatives are look abroad or gamble on sourcing a talent from non-league.

Liquid Gold

There are always loads of free transfers available that can do an excellent job at this level. We just need to ensure our scouting is on point and we position ourselves as the most attractive option for the player.

Again, McNulty was free.

SkyBlueCRJ

There are always loads of free transfers available that can do an excellent job at this level. We just need to ensure our scouting is on point and we position ourselves as the most attractive option for the player.

Again, McNulty was free.

There are 'loads' of free transfers available during the window but they need to be the right type of player that will fit into our system and with how we play. There's no sense in signing someone for the sake of it. The transfer market is obviously hugely competitive so it's something of a rarity that a club at our level and our budget is able to bring in their primary targets. It's not as simple as hoping the scouting is right and there being a never-ending conveyer belt of players coming through Ryton's doors. Unearthing gems such as McNulty is no easy task but I trust in Robins to continue doing so.

Also, sometimes positioning ourselves as the most attractive option for the player isn't enough as more often than not it comes down to money! But you're right it's important we sell our (few) traits and sell them hard.

steve82

But once again it comes back to the issue of who is out there that's affordable or in fact a reasonable acquisition? Port Vale were demanding in excess of 300K for Pope's services, and Alex Revel, Matt Rhead and Marc Richards are all under contract and would command a fee (would this be the best use of funds for a 34/5 year old).

Although I'd snap your right hand off for one of the two, acquiring either James Collins and Jaydon Stockley would be miles out of our price range. Collins wouldn't drop down a league. Stockley will probably find himself in League One in the summer, wouldn't surprise me if it was for a play-off contender.

If Robins is keen on acquiring a striker of this fit arguably his only alternatives are look abroad or gamble on sourcing a talent from non-league.

Your right 300k for Tom Pope is very silly especially as 6 months prior he was out of his contract but it’s the price to a club of a contracted player that is pivotal to them at the time of the season. That’s a January price.

Agree with the Stockley and Collins comments. But that said the players are out there available Exeter signed Stockley from Aberdeen I think where things didn’t work for a reason or another so became available and was a likely investment from the sale of Ethan Ampadu and Collins was brought as a investment from the sale of Jack Marriott to Peterborough.

So should we be forced into a sale of a asset we’d need to be looking to do the same if finances allowed and you know who or look at your Alex Revel types who become out of contract in the summer*.

I sure only recently MR had a physical trialist in for a u23’s game, scored to I think. Only a young lad tho I think so hes looking at options in all areas I think

* I’m not saying Revel or Richards are available or out of contract. They are signed up.

SkyBlueCRJ

Your right 300k for Tom Pope is very silly especially as 6 months prior he was out of his contract but it’s the price to a club of a contracted player that is pivotal to them at the time of the season. That’s a January price.

Agree with the Stockley and Collins comments. But that said the players are out there available Exeter signed Stockley from Aberdeen I think where things didn’t work for a reason or another so became available and was a likely investment from the sale of Ethan Ampadu and Collins was brought as a investment from the sale of Jack Marriott to Peterborough.

So should we be forced into a sale of a asset we’d need to be looking to do the same if finances allowed and you know who or look at your Alex Revel types who become out of contract in the summer*.

I sure only recently MR had a physical trialist in for a u23’s game, scored to I think. Only a young lad tho I think so hes looking at options in all areas I think

* I’m not saying Revel or Richards are available or out of contract. They are signed up.

Exactly, January prices are always going to be inflated as the ball is very firmly in the clubs court and they have the position to dictate a fee. Realistically he's nowhere near that.

This is true, unearthing a gem is likely to be the most probable avenue that Robins will have to go down to find a quality target man. Although the recurring theme is that these clubs are reinvesting transfer fees acquired from their own players into new ones. Excuse me for sounding negative but there simply isn't the budget for doing this. Even with the potential Maddison money coming in I can confidently say Robins will be lucky to see 5% of that 3 million (assuming we have 10% sell-on and he goes for £30 mill). The same goes for any impending sale of our current players. This season we must've amassed around £1 million of transfer income. (Stevenson, Harries, Thomas). It's safe to say dominant percentage will have gone to SISU and the rest will have been used to keep the club ticking. It will be the same next season.

Yes, Robins seems to have had some promising trialists at Ryton recently so I'm hoping he manages to sign up at least one player from the ever-growing list in the summer - and like you said, better yet unearth a gem. So maybe this is how we'll find him!

Mucca Mad Boys

Exactly, January prices are always going to be inflated as the ball is very firmly in the clubs court and they have the position to dictate a fee. Realistically he's nowhere near that.

This is true, unearthing a gem is likely to be the most probable avenue that Robins will have to go down to find a quality target man. Although the recurring theme is that these clubs are reinvesting transfer fees acquired from their own players into new ones. Excuse me for sounding negative but there simply isn't the budget for doing this. Even with the potential Maddison money coming in I can confidently say Robins will be lucky to see 5% of that 3 million (assuming we have 10% sell-on and he goes for £30 mill). The same goes for any impending sale of our current players. This season we must've amassed around £1 million of transfer income. (Stevenson, Harries, Thomas). It's safe to say dominant percentage will have gone to SISU and the rest will have been used to keep the club ticking. It will be the same next season.

Yes, Robins seems to have had some promising trialists at Ryton recently so I'm hoping he manages to sign up at least one player from the ever-growing list in the summer - and like you said, better yet unearth a gem. So maybe this is how we'll find him!

Looking at transfer budget purely in terms of transfer fees is flawed. Lets take this season for example, we signed free agents mainly from L1, and even signed Andreu from the Championship. I think we only paid nominal fees for Biamou and Davies. Yet, we signed 15+ players in total.

Imagining we get huge windfalls from both Wilson and Maddison, I think the budget will be bigger than if they stay at their current clubs. But, I don't expect us to be signing players on big fees, as I think there's plenty of good talent out their in free agency. A lot of people were disappointed when we missed out on a 'proven striker' like Collins, yet we've signed McNulty on a free who's scored more goals, and at the last time I checked, in more games also. Paying large fees doesn't guarantee a good player, because it's a buyers' market in football. In L1 and L2 you need to be efficient with your budget, hence the Shrewsbury's and Accrington's can punch well above their weight, and if done well, free agency is one of, if not the best of doing that outside the Championship.

I think what we're doing in identifying young trialists is a smart thing to do, because if we can identify talent we can developing the U23s, the more players can filter in the first team. In particular, Bayliss, Shipley, and to a lesser degree, JP, are a testament to that policy.

SkyBlueCRJ

Looking at transfer budget purely in terms of transfer fees is flawed. Lets take this season for example, we signed free agents mainly from L1, and even signed Andreu from the Championship. I think we only paid nominal fees for Biamou and Davies. Yet, we signed 15+ players in total.

Imagining we get huge windfalls from both Wilson and Maddison, I think the budget will be bigger than if they stay at their current clubs. But, I don't expect us to be signing players on big fees, as I think there's plenty of good talent out their in free agency. A lot of people were disappointed when we missed out on a 'proven striker' like Collins, yet we've signed McNulty on a free who's scored more goals, and at the last time I checked, in more games also. Paying large fees doesn't guarantee a good player, because it's a buyers' market in football. In L1 and L2 you need to be efficient with your budget, hence the Shrewsbury's and Accrington's can punch well above their weight, and if done well, free agency is one of, if not the best of doing that outside the Championship.

I think what we're doing in identifying young trialists is a smart thing to do, because if we can identify talent we can developing the U23s, the more players can filter in the first team. In particular, Bayliss, Shipley, and to a lesser degree, JP, are a testament to that policy.

I haven't. My point is that many clubs who have set playing budgets with no room for manoeuvre rely on transfer income to invest in players that are under contract. This is the case for the majority of League Two clubs, including ours. Exeter purchasing Stockley from Aberdeen is a typical example.

Obviously it will be slightly bigger but it's highly unlikely the playing budget will receive any significant windfall from the sell-on clauses from the Maddison/Wilson sales as from a business perspective it would be illogical for SISU to release such funds to back CCFC when they want to sell. No, paying for players doesn't guarantee success but neither does a team made up of free agents and loans. The likelihood of unearthing a gem that is a free agent is relatively rare, whereas buying talent has a higher percentage of success. But, we don't have such luxuries so we have to rely on free agents to make up our squad. Not that this is necessarily a massive negative as this is just the way of the world in League One and Two. Like you said, there is a multitude of talent to be had in this market, assuming the right players are available of course. But it should also be stressed that it's easier said than done by saying that the likes of Accrington and Shrewsbury can do it so why can't we. If we continue to overhaul the squad season after season it's unlikely we'll find any sort of similar success. Hopefully I'm proven wrong by us being promoted this season, given how many players were brought in this year but I'm somehow not convinced.

I agree it's definitely a great way to source young talent without disrupting our pre-season plans by having a conveyer belt of trialists featuring in crucial friendlies.

Captain Dart

I haven't. My point is that many clubs who have set playing budgets with no room for manoeuvre rely on transfer income to invest in players that are under contract. This is the case for the majority of League Two clubs, including ours. Exeter purchasing Stockley from Aberdeen is a typical example.

Obviously it will be slightly bigger but it's highly unlikely the playing budget will receive any significant windfall from the sell-on clauses from the Maddison/Wilson sales as from a business perspective it would be illogical for SISU to release such funds to back CCFC when they want to sell. No, paying for players doesn't guarantee success but neither does a team made up of free agents and loans. The likelihood of unearthing a gem that is a free agent is relatively rare, whereas buying talent has a higher percentage of success. But, we don't have such luxuries so we have to rely on free agents to make up our squad. Not that this is necessarily a massive negative as this is just the way of the world in League One and Two. Like you said, there is a multitude of talent to be had in this market, assuming the right players are available of course. But it should also be stressed that it's easier said than done by saying that the likes of Accrington and Shrewsbury can do it so why can't we. If we continue to overhaul the squad season after season it's unlikely we'll find any sort of similar success. Hopefully I'm proven wrong by us being promoted this season, given how many players were brought in this year but I'm somehow not convinced.

I agree it's definitely a great way to source young talent without disrupting our pre-season plans by having a conveyer belt of trialists featuring in crucial friendlies.

Be interesting to see how recruitment last season by Accrington and Shrewsbury compares to ours, how many did they each bring in/bring on loan, how settled was their team compared to the previous season etc.

Captain Dart

Users who are viewing this thread