Todays council meeting will be held in public (4 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Breaking: The Conservatives resolutely support the matter of Wasps RFC taking over the Ricoh Arena.
It's also confirmed that a training facility is planned to be built for Wasps’ 40-man squad, along with building up rugby in the community working with Coventry RFC.

Councillors say: “We have to do what is right for the city, no matter what is popular.”
Council “cannot wait forever” for Sisu, they say.

Nick

Administrator
Mutton is there:

The Council “absolutely” made the right decision to build a great arena on a derelict site, says Labour Cllr John Mutton.
Besides that, the Arena has delivered a whole lot more - from Olympic football to rock stars - and the Council “recognises that the vision hasn’t been totally achieved”.

JimmyHillsbeard

John Mutton (tbf) says he understands that for Wasps' fans it's the same as Coventry City being ensconced in Northampton but that cannot be part of our decision...

duffer

I can't see that being kept in place permanently, eventually the RFU will quietly drop that requirement I'd imagine.

Can't have it both ways - at the moment they can't move their academy, and there's no evidence that they'll be able to.

Nick

Administrator
Can't have it both ways - at the moment they can't move their academy, and there's no evidence that they'll be able to.

There is this:

Breaking: The Conservatives resolutely support the matter of Wasps RFC taking over the Ricoh Arena.
It's also confirmed that a training facility is planned to be built for Wasps’ 40-man squad, along with building up rugby in the community working with Coventry RFC.

Astute

He's also worn out his 'like' button today agreeing with the usual council drones.

So what comments are wrong that I have given a 'like' to?

Am I wrong when I say that I don't want Wasps at the Ricoh?

Am I wrong when I say that I don't want CCC to let Wasps have the Ricoh?

It must be because I have been pointing out that SISU could have had the same deal. And that Joy has said that they don't want it. It just doesn't go with being able to blame CCC for everything.

I am as pissed off as anyone else about what is going on. My biggest fault is trying to look at the whole picture. And not one person who is trying to blame CCC for everything will say anything about Joy not wanting the Ricoh. They just seem to be wanting the arena to become a white elephant like they were saying it had become last season. I am pissed off with all sides. And have had enough of the whole bloody thing.

Nick

Administrator
Mutton:

Cllr Mutton, former council leader: “My heart goes out to Wasps supporters in London - it’s no different to Coventry City being taken to Northampton - but we cannot make that a consideration for this council.”

Nick

Administrator
So what comments are wrong that I have given a 'like' to?

Am I wrong when I say that I don't want Wasps at the Ricoh?

Am I wrong when I say that I don't want CCC to let Wasps have the Ricoh?

It must be because I have been pointing out that SISU could have had the same deal. And that Joy has said that they don't want it. It just doesn't go with being able to blame CCC for everything.

I am as pissed off as anyone else about what is going on. My biggest fault is trying to look at the whole picture. And not one person who is trying to blame CCC for everything will say anything about Joy not wanting the Ricoh. They just seem to be wanting the arena to become a white elephant like they were saying it had become last season. I am pissed off with all sides. And have had enough of the whole bloody thing.

Not one person is trying to blame the CCC for everything though are they? Except maybe a WUM or two.

duffer

Cllr Kershaw. Another one hanging his hat on the idea that Wasps can improve local sport (despite the fact that they aren't allowed to move their academy, ffs!). I've got a lot of mates playing junior rugby (Barker Butts, Old Covents etc.). I don't see those clubs struggling or in need of a premiership (franchise) club on their doorstep.

Nick

Administrator
Mutton:

Mutton: “Make it clear that the Ricoh Arena - the bricks and mortar - will still be owned by the people of Coventry.”

I am probably being thick, but if a lease is 250 years surely that is pretty much owning the building? Happy for somebody to correct me and explain though.

J

Jack Griffin

Oh, £130 million stadium now.

3,500 jobs, are there really that many people working at the stadium?

The stadium & arena park, Tesco employ a lot of people! Of course it is mostly low paid & part time stuff.. but it is jobs.

chiefdave

Whats that line about the training centre being built? :(

Think it means the senior team will be based in Cov and the academy is Wycombe or wherever it is now. Can't see that lasting, eventually it will all be based in Cov.

JimmyHillsbeard

Mutton just made it clear. It's ACL up for grabs not the bricks and mortar.

Why are people still confused on this ?

Just after he said he was so proud of the use of the Ricoh* as an Olympic venue. The venue and the management company of the venue are synonomous even to him apparently.

*It wasnt the Ricoh then but the City of Coventry Stadium.

Astute

Not one person is trying to blame the CCC for everything though are they? Except maybe a WUM or two.

Just like I am not trying to blame SISU for everything. But all that gets noticed by some is where I state that Joy didn't want the stadium. Hey ho.

Evo1883

Mutton:

I am probably being thick, but if a lease is 250 years surely that is pretty much owning the building? Happy for somebody to correct me and explain though.
Hes just trying to put a positive spin on a negative situation , a typical politician

J

Jack Griffin

Going off the CET live feed. They are quoting Ann Lucas as saying it is 130 million?

I guess that is the original £113M, plus all the extra units built in Arena Park since.. Decathalon/that Pet thingy, several fast food outlets..

chiefdave

You're spot on but if it goes tits up and Wasps go bust I imagine there would be some provision for it to revert to CCC. It's basically what we've been saying to SISU, you don't need to own the freehold to get all the benefits but they keep insisting you do.

Evo1883

You're spot on but if it goes tits up and Wasps go bust I imagine there would be some provision for it to revert to CCC. It's basically what we've been saying to SISU, you don't need to own the freehold to get all the benefits but they keep insisting you do.
Probably because they want to sell it on at an inflated price

Nick

Administrator
I guess that is the original £113M, plus all the extra units built in Arena Park since.. Decathalon/that Pet thingy, several fast food outlets..

That's not the stadium though is it? It is like me saying my house is worth shit loads because the post office down the road has had a refit.

Astute

Whats that line about the training centre being built? :(

I just hope it doesn't mean our academy getting kicked out to find them somewhere. About the only way that things could get shitter :(

Evo1883

The stadium still belongs to the people of coventry , yes mate after the year 2264 .

Nick

Administrator
Cllr Skipper: “Loyalty to a football club runs deep - football is a real passion. Over the years there has been an enormous amount of good will between the Council and the club, but it concerns me that supporters have been given misinformation.
“The owners of the club can come forward with an offer at any time.”

Nick

Administrator
Cllr Skipper: Wasps RFC play on Sundays, so there would be no conflict of interest and it's possible for the football and rugby club to be harmonious”

“The city’s rugby club could benefit from the Wasps academy. This is a sporting hotbed of a city and we have the chance to enhance the opportunity for professional sport in this city.
"Swansea and Ospreys co-exist with a great pitch and two brilliant teams.”

Users who are viewing this thread