Ticketmaster (2 Viewers)

SkyBlueSid

Erm, most events now have a booking fee. There will be the cost to post it, print it etc.

The other option is thet just merge the booking fee into the ticket price. Then like I said it means people printing at home then have to pay more for the ticket. I think it would be better to give people the option whether to have to pay a booking fee or not and give them alternatives to get round it.

A lot of serious businesses in the leisure sector already use ticketmaster and other alternatives which all charge booking fees. It is how Ticket Master make the money.
The cost of postage for a paper ticket is fair enough, which I stated earlier. A booking fee is a scam though. If these 'serious businesses' are indeed serious about promoting their event they should not be stinging punters with extra fees.

What I am saying is that the ticket should include everything, why should 'booking' incur an extra cost? Especially if I can print the ticket myself. I abhor this racket and refuse to pay booking fees. Some music gig wanted to charge me an extra £4 or so per ticket at the box office once so I didn't bother. It is about clear pricing for tickets and companies like Ticketmaster are basically licensed touts. Why would we need them, it's not as if there is a shortage of tickets for CCFC games.

SkyblueBazza

The cost of postage for a paper ticket is fair enough, which I stated earlier. A booking fee is a scam though. If these 'serious businesses' are indeed serious about promoting their event they should not be stinging punters with extra fees.

What I am saying is that the ticket should include everything, why should 'booking' incur an extra cost? Especially if I can print the ticket myself. I abhor this racket and refuse to pay booking fees. Some music gig wanted to charge me an extra £4 or so per ticket at the box office once so I didn't bother. It is about clear pricing for tickets and companies like Ticketmaster are basically licensed touts. Why would we need them, it's not as if there is a shortage of tickets for CCFC games.
Seems to me that by having a 'ticket partner'...that eliminates competition from the consumer perspective. If you want a ticket to the event you MUST pay the add-on costs.
I accept the price of a ticket might X. By outsourcing selling of the ticket at X adds an admin cost of Y (booking fee perhaps?)...& possibly postage (a given undisputable fee)
Touting is facilitated by this current approach. It is simply passing the buck/responsibility to ensure that tickets find their way to real consumers to someone else. So especially the BIG events people have to pay tour prices to see whatever it is they want.

Answer? Make it illegal to sell - on tickets.

...onwards & upwards PUSB

chiefdave

We're heading into a whole different area here. This is a bit old now but a decent read for some info on ticketmaster:
http://www.wired.com/2010/11/mf_ticketmaster/

You're right it is pretty much a monopoly. If you want a system that can cope with potentially tens if not hundreds of thousands of ticket requests at the same time you either go with ticketmaster or spend a ridiculous amount on your own system and infrastructure.

The booking fee occurs as Ticketmaster need to make their cut, the whole of the face value goes to the person putting on the event. If you're a big enough draw you can also negotiate so you get a cut of the booking fee but lets not overcomplicate things.

Where it starts getting messy is that you now have the same companies owning the ticketing, the venues, and booking the acts. They also have their own secondary resale sites and, although they deny it, you can be certain batches of tickets for the top events are being handed straight over for resale at inflated prices.

Nothing will happen anytime soon as the current culture secretary thinks the setup is fantastic.

Gazolba

With Ticketmaster be prepared to pay add-on fees ('convenience fee') on every ticket.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
seems a sensible direction to take as clearly the club itself can not handle the ticket sales adequately - they just don't have the man power or expertise. I guess there is some element of cost saving because the club will not need so many staff to administer the issue of tickets

It also makes sense to use the same provider as Wasps as that could lead to some cost savings in say the set up - Ticketmaster shouldn't need to map the site for example. I see it is only a two year agreement, in line with the rent agreement, but it is a concern that as yet we still do not have anything medium term let alone long term.

If the same model as Wasps is used in terms of the booking fee then I would suggest the following income for Ticketmaster or costs absorbed by the club. Obviously we will find more detail in May - so this is a guess

Assume an average league attendance at 11000 per game or a total of 253000 pa

Say there are 5000 season ticket holders going forward then if the £3.50 is per purchase then that equates to £17500

Assume a walk up pay on the gate/shop of 2000 and there is no booking charge for that so cost 0

That leaves online purchase of 4000. Assume that the average purchase is 2 tickets and that equates to a total of £161000

Total cost to club or income to Ticketmaster £178500

If the club absorbed that in the ticket price per person per game that equates to 71p per ticket/STvoucher per game or an increase in ST price of £16. I would think however there will be a price increase on tickets in any case and any booking fee will be paid direct to Ticketmaster by the fans

Last edited:

Specs WT-R75

seems a sensible direction to take as clearly the club itself can not handle the ticket sales adequately - they just don't have the man power or expertise. I guess there is some element of cost saving because the club will not need so many staff to administer the issue of tickets

It also makes sense to use the same provider as Wasps as that could lead to some cost savings in say the set up - Ticketmaster shouldn't need to map the site for example. I see it is only a two year agreement, in line with the rent agreement, but it is a concern that as yet we still do not have anything medium term let alone long term.

If the same model as Wasps is used in terms of the booking fee then I would suggest the following income for Ticketmaster or costs absorbed by the club. Obviously we will find more detail in May - so this is a guess

Assume an average league attendance at 11000 per game or a total of 253000 pa

Say there are 5000 season ticket holders going forward then if the £3.50 is per purchase then that equates to £17500

Assume a walk up pay on the gate/shop of 2000 and there is no booking charge for that so cost 0

That leaves online purchase of 4000. Assume that the average purchase is 2 tickets and that equates to a total of £161000

Total cost to club or income to Ticketmaster £178500

If the club absorbed that in the ticket price per person per game that equates to 71p per ticket/STvoucher per game or an increase in ST price of £16. I would think however there will be a price increase on tickets in any case and any booking fee will be paid direct to Ticketmaster by the fans

Good summary OSB. I suspect most likely outcome is to scrap the advance ticket discount which will make up some of that £178k, and then when factoring in less staff needed its not a high price to pay for a much needed improvement in service.

I think taking the price over #twentysplenty would be a bad move given the good PR it had this year.

Mr T - Sukka!

Good move i say about time to. Simple maths.

Keep matchday tickets £20, CCFC get £17.50, ticketmaster £2.50 job done.

stupot07

Good move i say about time to. Simple maths.

Keep matchday tickets £20, CCFC get £17.50, ticketmaster £2.50 job done.
So in affect the club loses c£600k 11k x 23 games x2.5 in ticket revenue (caveat yes I know it will be less STs,etc)? Happy for that to be trimmed off the wage bill?

I'm sure it doesn't currently cost the club anywhere near that much to do the ticketing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JimmyHillsbeard

Can't come soon enough. Website as much use as a chocolate teapot. ATM can't buy Oldham tickets dead links, 404 messages and false trails.... And obvs the shop is closed over the bank holiday until Tuesday afternoon.

italiahorse

Yes CCFC have to pay for a service if they don't provide their own.

Not saying thats right, but they would be very very foolish to try to get fans to absorb the costs.

Even SISU are not that stupid are they?

It depends how you look at it.
I don't mind paying for it if it helps the club.
Similarly I don't mind paying over the top for CCFC gear and F&B if they get a cut.

What I don't want is to feel though the club are using my money for legal battles.
I'm unsure on this but I know friends who don't go keep using this as one of their excuses.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Id be surprised if the prices went up that much. Yes we know they will have to go up - we were very lucky last season paying what we did; it cant be sustained at the those prices through.

That said, id be surprised if the match day ticets went up that much. Ticket Master will charge a processing fee. Will the club, after the promotion of 'Twenties Plenty' this season, increase the prices so they go over £20? Not sure if they will have to sacrifice some of the ticket money to make sure they don't exceed the £20 (as if, lets say, TM put on a £1.50 - 2 surcharge to take the price over the £20 mark, will we not be going against all that was said this year?).

dongonzalos

Id be surprised if the prices went up that much. Yes we know they will have to go up - we were very lucky last season paying what we did; it cant be sustained at the those prices through.

That said, id be surprised if the match day ticets went up that much. Ticket Master will charge a processing fee. Will the club, after the promotion of 'Twenties Plenty' this season, increase the prices so they go over £20? Not sure if they will have to sacrifice some of the ticket money to make sure they don't exceed the £20 (as if, lets say, TM put on a £1.50 - 2 surcharge to take the price over the £20 mark, will we not be going against all that was said this year?).

If 14k is the target attendance next season the prices better not increase by more than a quid.
That is of course unless we have a full season like the first half of the season then they would probably get away with increasing them by £3

SkyBlueZack

It depends how you look at it.
I don't mind paying for it if it helps the club.
Similarly I don't mind paying over the top for CCFC gear and F&B if they get a cut.

What I don't want is to feel though the club are using my money for legal battles.
I'm unsure on this but I know friends who don't go keep using this as one of their excuses.

There not. You know this. Give it a rest.

SkyBlueZack

Do I ?
I did say I'm not sure.
So show me the pot it's coming out of !!

The accounts come out. OSB breaks it down and informs us all of what is going on. He has stated money is not coming out of CCFC for court cases nor management fees or interest. The interest is applied and deferred. It's coming out the SISU pot which I can't show you. Again you know this. Are you deliberately awkward or does it come naturally?

chiefdave

Can't come soon enough. Website as much use as a chocolate teapot. ATM can't buy Oldham tickets dead links, 404 messages and false trails.... And obvs the shop is closed over the bank holiday until Tuesday afternoon.

Just had a look and its working fine for me. Did you get sorted or are you still having problems?

chiefdave

If you have friends who aren't going for that reason you should explain to them how its been shown over and over again that they are wrong. Zack has even given you a handy little summary.

The accounts come out. OSB breaks it down and informs us all of what is going on. He has stated money is not coming out of CCFC for court cases nor management fees or interest. The interest is applied and deferred. It's coming out the SISU pot which I can't show you. Again you know this. Are you deliberately awkward or does it come naturally?

chiefdave

Our prices are low so we'll be lucky if they stay the same. The booking fee won't be included in the price, nobody else does it like that. So what ever price they decide on it will be that plus booking fee.

Nick

Administrator
If you have friends who aren't going for that reason you should explain to them how its been shown over and over again that they are wrong. Zack has even given you a handy little summary.
Its probably him telling them that!

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Our prices are low so we'll be lucky if they stay the same. The booking fee won't be included in the price, nobody else does it like that. So what ever price they decide on it will be that plus booking fee.

I get that there will be a booking fee no matter what, but would it not be hypocritical to have the tickets charged in excess of £20 after being one of the teams included in 'twenties plenty'? Be like saying 'we've had some public airtime now for this, so now we can charge (in total) more than £20).

Not even sure what the average booking fee is? Few quid per ticket for concerts etc isn't it? Can't see many being happy if it was like £18 ticket and £4-5 booking fee....

chiefdave

I get that there will be a booking fee no matter what, but would it not be hypocritical to have the tickets charged in excess of £20 after being one of the teams included in 'twenties plenty'? Be like saying 'we've had some public airtime now for this, so now we can charge (in total) more than £20).

Not even sure what the average booking fee is? Few quid per ticket for concerts etc isn't it? Can't see many being happy if it was like £18 ticket and £4-5 booking fee....

No because the tickets would still be £20. To pick a random example The Levellers are playing in Birmingham, tickets are £25 face value. They then add on a £3.50 booking fee and £2.95 for postage. So despite your tickets being £25 you actually pay £31.45.

Booking fees vary, I've seen events with booking fees of over £25. You can then get a postage charge of up to £6. They also sometimes add other fees such as facility fees.

Users who are viewing this thread