Thursday May 22nd (1 Viewer)

japandy

Obviously we can't hold all the cards but having a say in matters is better than nothing. The above date is the local council election and we have the EU elections in July. We saw the SBT getting involved in somethings and KCIC doing an amazing protest at Arsenal, so why can't we make a political party? Through the SBT we could try to field candidates all over the city but we should act now. If the SBT want help setting it up I'm more than welcome to get involved.

letsallsingtogether

Fuck me I can just see Grendel or Torch as your leader. :eek: :facepalm:

Ouch even RFC

No Thanks

Obviously we can't hold all the cards but having a say in matters is better than nothing. The above date is the local council election and we have the EU elections in July. We saw the SBT getting involved in somethings and KCIC doing an amazing protest at Arsenal, so why can't we make a political party? Through the SBT we could try to field candidates all over the city but we should act now. If the SBT want help setting it up I'm more than welcome to get involved.

chiefdave

Lets say this happened and Sky Blues candidates won all the seats and control of the council, what exactly would you want them to do? Give SISU the stadium for nothing? Pay tens of millions in compensation to cancel all the contracts so SISU can buy the freehold unencumbered?

Not sure if trolling

Steve.B50

At first I thought thread should just be ignored, but after giving it some thought I think its worth a little more discussion. Would need to talk to people who know how you go about standing, but surely we have candidates in our Council who are independent?
Its obvious that the vast majority of Coventry people do not know or care who runs our City, but there are some who genuinely care and love the City of Coventry.

J

Jack Griffin

You go ahead & do it then.. I'll watch from afar ;-)

BTW it is £500 deposit to stand a candidate, lost if the candidate fails to get more than 5% of vote.

mark82

People are very quick to write this off but why not? Could at least then apply pressure from the inside to work with sisu in bringing the club back to Coventry.

People on here are really starting to piss me off with their anti ccfc stances. Why don't you fuck off and support someone else or start your own club in the Coventry area. It's obviously what you want. You can then claim victory on behalf of Ann Lucas.

Monkeyface

I suggested this sometime ago in thread. Thought having an independent stand for election would offer a bit of leverage the other way, after all most protests take on an anti-sisu stance.
Personally I think more of the blame lays at their door, but would love to see our council put under more scrutiny. For to long they've has no real challenge, you only need to wear a red rosette to get elected in Coventry!

J

Jack Griffin

I suggested this sometime ago in thread. Thought having an independent stand for election would offer a bit of leverage the other way, after all most protests take on an anti-sisu stance.
Personally I think more of the blame lays at their door, but would love to see our council put under more scrutiny. For to long they've has no real challenge, you only need to wear a red rosette to get elected in Coventry!

Untrue, the council was Tory controlled or hung from 2003 to 2010.

Code:
Party in control 	Years
Labour 	 	 	1973 - 1978
Conservative 	 	1978 - 1979
Labour 	 	 	1979 - 2003
No overall control 	2003 - 2006
Conservative 	 	2006 - 2008
No overall control 	2008 - 2010
Labour  	 	2010–present

Monkeyface

At first I thought thread should just be ignored, but after giving it some thought I think its worth a little more discussion. Would need to talk to people who know how you go about standing, but surely we have candidates in our Council who are independent?
Its obvious that the vast majority of Coventry people do not know or care who runs our City, but there are some who genuinely care and love the City of Coventry.

I'm pretty sure we do not have any independents in Coventry.

letsallsingtogether

So she will be re elected then.
Doing what see sees as right for her constituents, of which most will have never been to the Ricoh or even support CCFC.

Yes, you are correct, just been checking. Noticed that Ann Lucas is one of the Councillors up for re election in May, that's Holbrooks where the Ricoh sits.

Steve.B50

We need some fresh faces,some new personalities, new ideas and we need people who understand and care about a certain Football Club being in Coventry.

J

Jack Griffin

I hope she isn't. Whatever side you sit on I think we need some fresh faces in this argument.

Doubt it, she got 52% of vote last time.. Tories got 18%, so a swing of over 17% is needed.

Specs WT-R75

First up with control of the council I am sure there is something that could be done without "giving" SISU the asset. They have already stated a 125yr lease is acceptable. I am sure with a little effort the stadium and arena could be separated for example...it is not like the stadium is generating ACL any income right now.

Anyway, why can't we just question all the candidates and not vote for the ones unprepared to do something about the situation... alot easier than standing ourselves! we can always insert a candidate in areas where no one is on our side.

I think that a good chunk of city fans wont normally vote so with a bit of effort we can actually cost a few councillors their seats at which point i think they will have to do _something_...

People are very quick to write this off but why not? Could at least then apply pressure from the inside to work with sisu in bringing the club back to Coventry.

People on here are really starting to piss me off with their anti ccfc stances. Why don't you fuck off and support someone else or start your own club in the Coventry area. It's obviously what you want. You can then claim victory on behalf of Ann Lucas.

The assertion here is that it is from within the CCC that the reluctance to talk is generated. Its not, its SISU's demand to own the unfettered Freehold of the Arena. I am not Anti CCFC I am anti SISU and their approach. If THEY changed their approach, I might change my view. If there were any amount of grey cells between your flappy side of your head things you would recognise that.

Monkeyface

Yeah point made Jack, but weren't the mid 00's a time of protest votes? Either way, Coventry is a strong Labour seat.

J

Jack Griffin

First up with control of the council I am sure there is something that could be done without "giving" SISU the asset. They have already stated a 125yr lease is acceptable. I am sure with a little effort the stadium and arena could be separated for example...it is not like the stadium is generating ACL any income right now.

Anyway, why can't we just question all the candidates and not vote for the ones unprepared to do something about the situation... alot easier than standing ourselves! we can always insert a candidate in areas where no one is on our side.

I think that a good chunk of city fans wont normally vote so with a bit of effort we can actually cost a few councillors their seats at which point i think they will have to do _something_...

Man you don't understand the situation at all, (even if your idea was in anyway practical, which it isn't) compromise will not work, Seppala only plays the zero sum game.

I believe either SISU will have to build their stadium, god knows where, or sell up & go away.

Steve.B50

Good point, how do we go about finding what each Councillors views are?

The Gentleman

I hope she isn't. Whatever side you sit on I think we need some fresh faces in this argument.

Do you think that all CCC have to think and talk about is CCFC. There are 4 people in my house and only me supports and gives a shit what happens to CCFC. My wife and 2 daughters could not give a flying fuck whether CCFC exists or not. I think Lucas does alright for the city she represents and guess what, the biggest things that concerns the majority of the people in the city is not CCFC. it is education, health, welfare, jobs, state of the city and the things that matter to the people of Coventry, not fans of CCFC. Fresh faces is not what this situation needs, as any councillor following Lucas will only adopt the same stance in so much as their first thought is for the city of Coventry, not Coventry City FC. From what I can see, the only other thing that CCC can do is get a valuation done for the Ricoh but what good will that do, will Sisu offer anything near the valuation or will they say that as the Ricoh isn't doing well in their eyes it's worth is nowhere near the valuation of CCC, then people will moan that CCC have wasted taxpayers money on a valuation. What this situation needs is for Sisu to take up the latest rental offer that was on the table (which to my mind is beneficial for ALL parties involved) and then negotiate from there. If negotiations fail then Sisu carry on with their hair-brained new stadium scheme and the Ricoh gets a tenant for a few more years.

Specs WT-R75

Do you think that all CCC have to think and talk about is CCFC. There are 4 people in my house and only me supports and gives a shit what happens to CCFC. My wife and 2 daughters could not give a flying fuck whether CCFC exists or not. I think Lucas does alright for the city she represents and guess what, the biggest things that concerns the majority of the people in the city is not CCFC. it is education, health, welfare, jobs, state of the city and the things that matter to the people of Coventry, not fans of CCFC. Fresh faces is not what this situation needs, as any councillor following Lucas will only adopt the same stance in so much as their first thought is for the city of Coventry, not Coventry City FC. From what I can see, the only other thing that CCC can do is get a valuation done for the Ricoh but what good will that do, will Sisu offer anything near the valuation or will they say that as the Ricoh isn't doing well in their eyes it's worth is nowhere near the valuation of CCC, then people will moan that CCC have wasted taxpayers money on a valuation. What this situation needs is for Sisu to take up the latest rental offer that was on the table (which to my mind is beneficial for ALL parties involved) and then negotiate from there. If negotiations fail then Sisu carry on with their hair-brained new stadium scheme and the Ricoh gets a tenant for a few more years.

They could get an economic impact assessment of not having CCFC playing in the City and work out how many hundreds of thousands in lost revenue not having the football club within the City would cause... it's absurd that it has not already been done. At that point they will quickly realise that they didn't need to be charging a rent (like many other councils that have peppercorn arrangements)...

wingy

They could get an economic impact assessment of not having CCFC playing in the City and work out how many hundreds of thousands in lost revenue not having the football club within the City would cause... it's absurd that it has not already been done. At that point they will quickly realise that they didn't need to be charging a rent (like many other councils that have peppercorn arrangements)...

Maybe SISU already have a copy they could lend them or publish.

There Must be a copy In the vaults somewhere from whence they hatched the plan.

skybluesam66

A city with a successful football club say in the premier league versus a city with no football club
Lets say southampton v coventry

the value of Southampton fc to the town of southampton has an economic value of many tens of millions over time
That is why the council have a duty to ccfc - for the sake of the city

The Gentleman

Why would you need an economic assessment to tell people what we already know. When Sisu took CCFC out of the Ricoh and out of the city, it cost and is still costing CCFC, Sisu and the people of Coventry. Why though should the council pay for the actions of Sisu, have Sisu not cost CCC enough already and continue to do so with further court costs on the horizon. Can we please stop talking about the rent like it was the crux, yes we know it was too much, yes we know offers we made for lower with access to revenues, yes we know that even free rent (just matchday costs to cover) was offered, so if it was just the rent that was the issue we would be playing at the Ricoh now. To my mind, CCC have wasted enough money on this saga which could have been spent on far more deserving services in the city, but Sisu seem hell bent on making them spend more on legals when people in the city suffer. So no, I think that CCC should not pay another thing with regards to this whole saga until Sisu show some honourable intent on actually buying the Ricoh for a fair price for all parties.

Big_Ben

It's not such a daft idea as it might seem at first glance. If I remember correctly the number of votes for each ward isn't that high because the general turnout is never very high, so a reasonably well orchestrated campaign could see councillors being elected all over the city. All it takes is a little persuasion for family members and friends, workmates who don't usually vote and the possibility is on.

skybluefred

Obviously a sisu plant or a troll.

Users who are viewing this thread