Throwing Away Points (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

Giving up far too many points after being in winning positions.

Off the top of my head, Oldham, Swindon, Sheffield United, and now Walsall have all scored in the final 15 minutes to 'grab' points off us. Add Doncaster where we should have won after being comfortable in the lead.

I don't want to be too critical of the side as we are doing well, but I think we should be doing a lot better.

So many games we have been dominant, but failed to turn that into goals.

We should be fine for at least a play off space this season, but if we want top two, we need to start putting games to bed.

ccfc92

Giving up far too many points after being in winning positions.

Off the top of my head, Oldham, Swindon, Sheffield United, and now Walsall have all scored in the final 15 minutes to 'grab' points off us. Add Doncaster where we should have won after being comfortable in the lead.

I don't want to be too critical of the side as we are doing well, but I think we should be doing a lot better.

So many games we have been dominant, but failed to turn that into goals.

We should be fine for at least a play off space this season, but if we want top two, we need to start putting games to bed.

Sheff utd? :confused: ;)

I do agree though. The Swindon game was particularly a square kick in the balls.

ccfc92

In the sentence before. I do get what you mean!

Only messing :)

I do agree. These draws, particularly Swindon, Oldham and Donny could easily be 6 more points on the board :(

Another way to look at it though, is still being in the top 4, keeps us fighting. Whereas, 3 or 4 or 6 points clear in first could cause complacency?

rupert_bear

It is frustrating and although not making excuses the conditions were awful and so difficult to play in, same for Walsall in fairness who coped better. Think in hindsight after an hour or so Rammage and Bigiriamma should have been brought on to shore things up.
Need other striker options tough for AA to play loan striker

Sky Blue Pete

Think Biggi could have made a difference but really we stopped playing for 15 mins and couldn't hold on - Stokes and Ricketts were excellent. I did wonder whether Ramage could come on for one of the defensive midfielders but Vincent and Fleck were also defending well!

Sick Boy

We need to have a stronger second half of the season to gain automatic promotion. Despite what many said earlier in the season, Wigan are going to be challenging for the top 2 and despite the predictions on here it doesn't look like Burton have read the script.

I also fancy Millwall to firmly cement their place in the top 6 too soon.

Sky Blue Pete

Progression Sick Boy - expectations are way way too high!

Even TM said it was a 2 year plan

I think we could sneak top 2 more likely top 6 and I would fancy our chances

st john

We need to have a stronger second half of the season to gain automatic promotion. Despite what many said earlier in the season, Wigan are going to be challenging for the top 2 and despite the predictions on here it doesn't look like Burton have read the script..

This is what I can't understand. We have 3 points more than Wigan from the same games played, they threw away a 3 goal lead at home tonight against a team outside the top 6, but people are saying they will be challenging for auto promotion and we won't ????

standupforcity

Still just one win off the top. Great game tonight and I think a fair result. Burton will be easier I think....should win 3-0.

Hobo

The season doesn't end in two weeks time. Loads of football to be played yet and we are very well placed. I also feel we haven't hit our stride yet. Keep behind Mowbrey and the team.

st john

Referring to the OP

Everyone was buoyant after the Crewe game, admittedly a poor side but the sort of game we used to lose. 1 game on and despondency seems to have set in again.
All teams throw away points in games they should win, not just us.

I were a Wigan supporter I would be pretty annoyed tonight at throwing 2 points away.

wingy

I think we could sneak top 2 more likely top 6 and I would fancy our chances
He may have said that in the media Pete but in camp it's this season.
I don't really want to think how things may go if we don't do it now.

Gazolba

So we should not bother with promotion this season because it is a certainty next season when we no longer have Armstrong, Murphy and Maddison and Cole is one year older?

Hobo

At the start of pre season training I was thinking top 10 maybe play offs. Once we got underway I felt top 6 to automatics. The Mowbrey 2 year plan is ahead of schedule and I really don't think we have played our best football yet. We have had some tough setbacks and other teams will have there's too.

wingy

This is what I can't understand. We have 3 points more than Wigan from the same games played, they threw away a 3 goal lead at home tonight against a team outside the top 6, but people are saying they will be challenging for auto promotion and we won't ????

And that is the strangest thing of all.
SU couldn't buy a win till they played us with that awful referee and are unbeaten since (FAcup apart). They seem to have picked that often cited window of opportunity to kick on.

honestken

Need to beat Burton Saturday, take 7 points in last 3 games of January, get ramage, martin, hunt and the swede match fit, along with 1 or 2 others added during the transfer window, Preferably a Turner esque centre half and another pacey striker, we will be in a great position for the push for automatic promotion!!

Otis

Yep! Absolutely ridiculous!

Of course we have a fantastic chance for top 2. There's still 20 games to go.

We beat Burton on Saturday and we will go above them.

We are still right in this. The only team in all the leagues to be unbeaten at home, the top goalscorer in this division and TM still trying to strengthen.

Still very, very rosy in the Sky Blue garden.

rupert_bear

When the final whistle went i thought shit another 2 points squandered but when I thought back 1-1 was a fair result. Two top teams equaling each other out, as said 21 games to go, win Saturday we could go top AND we will get better once these latest signings and hopefully a couple of others bed in, we will be finished with Walsall and Burton with 20 games to go, the garden looks rosey to me

Otis

When the final whistle went i thought shit another 2 points squandered but when I thought back 1-1 was a fair result. Two top teams equaling each other out, as said 21 games to go, win Saturday we could go top AND we will get better once these latest signings and hopefully a couple of others bed in, we will be finished with Walsall and Burton with 20 games to go, the garden looks rosey to me
That's the spirit. Best season since God knows when and so much to be happy about!

We are going to be top 6 at least I'm sure!

I'm absolutely loving this season. All positive for me!

pusbccfc

This is the biggest opportunity to get promoted, if we fail this season, I don't fancy us next season when we lose Maddison, Murphy, Armstrong etc.

Hobo

This is the biggest opportunity to get promoted, if we fail this season, I don't fancy us next season when we lose Maddison, Murphy, Armstrong etc.

Lots of fans didn't fancy us when TM signed kids like Armstrong and Murphy, Ricketts whose legs had gone (allegedly) and some reject like Stokes from non league.

It is no time to worry about next season, it is time to enjoy the now. Every game is a big game and we are very much in the mix.

mechaishida

Admittedly, it felt like a kick to the goolies when they equalised, but it was always a threat since Walsall are a solid team this season.

The frustration comes from the hope and expectation when we go ahead, however in hindsight, a point wasn't a bad result at all. I'd take a win against Burton though, please, just to keep us in the chase. PUSB

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Yer, this reminds me of the weekend golfer who only remembers the bad bounces, missed putts and 'shots left out there'.

Looking at the attached stats (http://www.soccerstats.com/timing.asp?league=england3), we're not doing too badly and have still scored more than the opposition in the last 10 mins, but it isn't as good as than the other leading teams.

I'm convinced that TM is just setting up the squad for the last 10 games. That's when squad rotation and fitness will really come into play. Keep the faith!

England League One - Goal times, halftime table, first half and second half goal.jpg

Monners

20 games left. 3 points of top spot. 11 points clear of 7th place. unbeaten at home. draw with team one place above us who are in form.

I can only see positives in all this.

At the start of the season the play offs seemed like a distant dream!

Keep the faith chaps - it will be play offs at worst for us..PUSB

Otis

20 games left. 3 points of top spot. 11 points clear of 7th place. unbeaten at home. draw with team one place above us who are in form.

I can only see positives in all this.

At the start of the season the play offs seemed like a distant dream!

Keep the faith chaps - it will be play offs at worst for us..PUSB
Exactly!

3 points off top spot and 20 games to go and yet still some people are already dismissing our chances of finishing top 2.

I don't get it.

runner

I think top is gone for us ... especially if we lose to Burton on Saturday ... but 2nd place is still a viable option !

Users who are viewing this thread