Those who attend tonight will have priority... (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
If you pay a fiver on the gate, do you get a stub to prove you were at the game? as i don't remember getting a stub for the earlier rounds when i paid on the gate, i would be a bit pissed off being a season ticket holder and was not a priority for a final ticket!!!

Nope. I haven't had a ticket for any of the JPT games so far at the Ricoh.

skybluelee

:D:D We never used to sell out Highfield Road in the Premier League......

Besides....Its a moot point.....:whistle:

City fans in the 70s, 80s and 90s didn't appreciate what they had. They took top flight football as a right and all they saw was us finishing 17th every year and that didn't appeal to enough people.

Entirely different situation now. The novelty of having gained two promotions to get to the Premier League would mean a whole new generation of fans would be desperate to watch us play on a regular basis. See Stoke as an example. Their crowds were pitiful in the Championship then as soon as they were promoted back to the top flight for the first time in 35+ years they had fans coming out of the woodwork.

We would easily average 25K+ back in the top flight.

I am still amazed that certain posters on here don't think we'd sell out a Wembley allocation if we got there.

torchomatic

I doubt that very much. We probably would when the big boys came to town, but not otherwise. All likelihood would be that we'd be cannon fodder anyway and then we'd have people moaning about being at the bottom of the Premier league. We never used to sell out HR every other week.

if we were in the Premier League we'd sell the Ricoh out every week!

theferret

We didn't sell Highfield Rd out consistently in the Premier League.

And? Leicester didn't sell out Filbert Street in the PL all that regularly either at about the same time, but when they returned following a promotion at the Walkers they got 30K every week.

Anyway, we averaged almost 21K at HR in the final few PL seasons and the ground only held 22.5K - so it must have been full or very near full most weeks to achieve that (when you consider there were clubs who bought very small followings).

torchomatic

Nah, I can't believe that. I don't remember it being that full every week. I would reckon our average was around 14/15K

Anyway, we averaged almost 21K at HR in the final few PL seasons and the ground only held 22.5K - so it must have been full or very near full most weeks to achieve that (when you consider there were clubs who bought very small followings).

theferret

Nah, I can't believe that. I don't remember it being that full every week. I would reckon our average was around 14/15K

What? You 'reckon'? Why would you do any reckoning when average attendance stats are so easy to find:

96/97 19625
97/98 19718
98/99 20773
99/00 20809
00/01 20582

It's all pointless debating it. Different eras. We once averaged 34,000 in division one, but it is meaningless now, as is the average of 22,000 in the Championship 7 years ago. Wolves averaged 4000 in 1986 - but increased that to 25000 in just 10 years etc..

For us to play in the PL it would require two promotions and that in itself would build a huge amount of momentum and renewed interest, and anyone who thinks we wouldn't average at least 26K is deluded.

torchomatic

And they were down to 14K by 2004, though admittedly after relegation, but even so.

What? You 'reckon'? Why would you do any reckoning when average attendance stats are so easy to find:

96/97 19625
97/98 19718
98/99 20773
99/00 20809
00/01 20582

It's all pointless debating it. Different eras. We once averaged 34,000 in division one, but it is meaningless now, as is the average of 22,000 in the Championship 7 years ago. Wolves averaged 4000 in 1986 - but increased that to 25000 in just 10 years etc..

For us to play in the PL it would require two promotions and that in itself would build a huge amount of momentum and renewed interest, and anyone who thinks we wouldn't average at least 26K is deluded.

torchomatic

torchomatic

Yorkshire SB

25K season tickets??? Have a day off! Thats more than Chelsea & Everton.....

....Besides....its a moot point.:whistle:

Well it was a rough guess, but Brighton sold 17k in their first year back in the Championship. Stoke sold 22 last season. Reading hit 18,000 (their capacity) this year and there's a waiting list in operation (same story at Swansea) which I would imagine operates at most PL clubs.
Additionally our season tickets wouldn't be as expensive as Chelsea's and with Premier League football being somewhat of a novelty I'd say people will want to secure a season ticket to ensure they can see the likes of united and city at the Ricoh.

theferret

Because of "New Stadium Fever"

Yep, and which is stronger, 'new stadium fever' or 'promotion to the premiership' fever.

The fact our highest average of the last 33 years came in the 2nd tier suggests we wouldn't have too much to worry about if were to do what we haven't done in 42 years and finish in the top 6 (twice in quick succession).

hill83

I'd like to agree with you, but coventry is generally full of dour broke excuse mongers. I can't see us averaging anywhere near 26k.

I appreciate the irony in my post.

Last edited:

theferret

Then I'm deluded but I don't think we would.

Thanks for confirming that. You're not on you own though, there are plenty of others who like nothing more than to talk down the size of the club and therefore its potential, often reminiscing about attendances that never happened. We have the 20th highest all time average gate in England, but anyone would think we were in the bottom 20 the way they try to constantly belittle their own club.

Yorkshire SB

I doubt that very much. We probably would when the big boys came to town, but not otherwise. All likelihood would be that we'd be cannon fodder anyway and then we'd have people moaning about being at the bottom of the Premier league. We never used to sell out HR every other week.

As I have previously said, the Premier League is a completely different entity now. The biggest league in the world (financially at least!) and attendances have risen dramatically since. Reading pretty much sell out every week, as do Swansea, as do WBA, as do Southampton, as do Fulham.
Have absolutely no doubt we would hit 30k average if we were to reach the PL.

glamour76

We seem to be going off topic a bit. I have just called ticket office & there are currently no plans to prioritise tickets with stubs from tonight. If this changes, it will be after ST holders & members sales

CovMatt1987

Went to Burton, going tonight - glad to hear this will get me priority for the final, even though I will be flying back from Australia that day (see previous thread - friend who booked the flight is currently chained to a radiator and hasnt eaten for about three days for this one).

If we make it to the final, and if anyones actually struggling for a ticket let me know, happy to buy them and sell them on to a deserving fan (for face value im not going to try and make a profit on it!).

fernandopartridge

The ground held 23400 or something and the average was over 20k. The away section held 4000 or so.

Post Atkinson it wasn't often you could pay on the gate. For the big games you couldn't really pay on the day. Have a look at some clips from the late 90s, the ground is invariably quite full.

ajsccfc

Has it been confirmed by anyone that buying a ticket for tonight will mean anything with regards to hypothetical final tickets? Because it makes no sense for the club to not announce it in advance and encourage more ticket sales.

covcity4life

I'd like to agree with you, but coventry is generally full of dour broke excuse mongers. I can't see us averaging anywhere near 26k.

I appreciate the irony in my post.

first season in premiership would defiently avg at least 26k imo(not all ST holders obviously)

maybe after it would drop but only to 23k odd

davebow87

Don't see how you can compare clubs' average attendances from one point in time to another. We probably would have a good average home gate if we leapt up two divisions in a short space of time (as in the 1960s) but people are a lot more fickle today compared to then. Instant success seems a prerequisite for today's generation of fans to commit themselves to getting out of their armchairs...
On another note.....Interesting to look at average home gates in the top flight in 1981 (Torchy's document)...just have a look at what Chelsea's was then! Where were they when they were shit??????

Noggin

Has it been confirmed that we are in the final then?

I really don't think anyone is getting carried away, even if we are favourites there is still more chance that we won't make it than we will. We all know that. We're Coventry fans everytime we get excited about something we get kicked in the teeth. That shouldn't stop us having faith, getting excited, planning for the future. It's hope, it's natural, it's healthy.

que Sera Sera...

Users who are viewing this thread