Thorn should resign now (1 Viewer)

Jimmy Hill's Chin

Seeing as he has to sell all of his best players and probably most of his mediocre players as well, has zero budget and can't bring in anyone due to the embargo I really wouldn't blame Thorn if he resigned. It is awful that having promised to play it straight with the fans after last season's debacle, SISU have yet again lied to the fans by Fisher claiming there will be a competitive bounce-back budget and then it becoming clear that there is actually no budget this season at all. If SISU just came out and admitted they have no money and are stone broke I (and I expect most fans) would have an ounce of respect for them, however their duplicity is disgusting. Thorn has again been lied to. Yes, he is a limited manager but he could probably go back to a half-decent scouting position somewhere (let's not forget he was Everton's scout). If Thorn resigns now with a broadside against SISU he can leave with his head held high knowing he has done his best and been dealt an impossible hand. It will also heap more pressure on SISU as they will struggle to find anyone else who will do this job under these restraints. This will shine a light on this dismal situation and hopefully encourage alternative investors. Go on Andy, do everyone a favour and tell SISU where to go. You don't deserve any more lies.

Last edited:
He did actually say that he was only going to sign a new contract if they offered him a decent war chest, which they did. BUT they have now taken this away from him. I agree that he should resign as he is going to look even more of a failure than he did last season, when lets be honest it's not really his fault.

He is a new manager and he has been quite naive, but we all need to earn our stripes somewhere, somehow.

skyblueman

Takes a real fool or a rich man to act on his principles - he may already think his employment chances are now so damaged that getting another job in the game may be a bit difficult - so I wouldn't blame him for hanging onto his salary for the time being - besides he really isn't the problem here...

kingharvest

I don't know where people keep getting this "Thorns repuation and employment chances are damaged" has come from. Says who? I would probably guess that his employment chances have not been harmed at all - in some peoples eyes his reputation will have been enhanced given the style of play. Even Ferguson has mentioned how he was impressed with the style of play under Thorn, its one of the reasons he let Norwood come here.

So all this about his reputation/employment chances seems to be in peoples heads, because i've seen no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Sub

to be honest Thorn, SISU, squad, rent, fans , council, ACL are all pulling in different directions and ripping the club apart and im at the stage where i am just sick of it, everyday you read some other bad news then worse news and then you get to thursday and it all goes completly tits up
pain-pain-ache-headache-smiley-emoticon-000336-large.gif
!! owell this is the life of a CCFC fan
cry2-male-cry-tears-smiley-emoticon-000276-large.gif
would love to think there is a light at the end of the tunnel unfortunatly i think its the administration or liquation train coming the other way!!!!

smileycov

Facebook User
BUT he is fantastic at his job. I'm sure he could leave for any club in the football league and find employment as a scout.

Why do you insist on this line all the time? If he goes where will it leave us, They will not get a decent or experienced manager in. They will not pay a decent managers wage so that is out of the question. He knows the lads and they appear to enjoy working with him, we need stability in a time when the squad is once again going to be ripped apart and not replaced. I am going to wait and see what kind of team they allow us to field and take the season as it comes. No one is looking to buy us and they ainty going. Leave AT alone, i for one am glad he is hanging around. God knows what kind of shite we would be in if he did leave!

smileycov

Facebook User
BUT he is fantastic at his job. I'm sure he could leave for any club in the football league and find employment as a scout.

I may have missread this ha ha.....appologise in advance. Thought another AT/fans defending him bashing was coming up

Jimmy Hill's Chin

Why do you insist on this line all the time? If he goes where will it leave us, They will not get a decent or experienced manager in. They will not pay a decent managers wage so that is out of the question. He knows the lads and they appear to enjoy working with him, we need stability in a time when the squad is once again going to be ripped apart and not replaced. I am going to wait and see what kind of team they allow us to field and take the season as it comes. No one is looking to buy us and they ainty going. Leave AT alone, i for one am glad he is hanging around. God knows what kind of shite we would be in if he did leave!

Some good points but with SISU at the helm we will continue to spiral down into oblivion and there is no hope. The one tactic left to force SISU's hand is public ridicule on a national scale. Afterall it did for Ken Deluded. If SISU were unable to find a new manager imagine how that would look to the outside world. Without SISU departed all other issues are distractions at best.

ashbyjan

Hmmmm scenario -
Knock Knock
AT: Hi Tim - I am fed up being treated like this and unless I get a big budget I tender my resignation!
TF: OK well there's no budget so your resignation is accepted
TF: Joy yes got another 150K off the wage bill - No Carsley and Rioch are going to do it for £20 a week extra
AT: Err Um well its like this dear I did it for the long suffering Cov fans and err no there's loads of jobs going for a man with my managerial track record. No the fans will be eternally grateful for this gesture.
Fans: Andy who?

AT's resignation would have no effect on anything, the only thing that will get SISU out is someone, anyone coming along with milions and buying them out. The entire backroom staff, office staff and playing staff could resign and SISU wouldn't care as long as it meant costs were reduced.

thorninmyside

i think the sooner we all just accept we will get what ever they decide the better. being lumbered with Andy Thorn isnt all that bad, it could be worse. it is the players that let us down, and thron and the rest of them, sisu. the lot of them. we are just going to have to see this season out.

I totally agree, but we are not talking about the club we are talking about Thorn. He would be better off away from CCFC. Love him or hate him (personally I'm a fan) CCFC would not be better off without him.

ccfcchris

Most times when Andy Thorn is mentioned on SKY it is usually coupled with what a great job he is doing under the circumstances. It's only my opinion but I would guess that most people in the game look on AT favourably.

Loughborough Sky Blue

The general consensus I got from other fans was that thorn was doing a fantastic job in the circumstances dealt to him.

When we overtook Bristol near the end of the season they were all saying it was amazing that a team full of kids with all the decent players sold were looking like they would survive.

Of course it didn't end up that way, but thorn seems to have not made to bad an impression.

ccfcway

lets all blame AT for not walking out when lied to by SISU, yet 3000 have already parted with money and given it to SISU, are they to blame ?

Grendel

Most times when Andy Thorn is mentioned on SKY it is usually coupled with what a great job he is doing under the circumstances. It's only my opinion but I would guess that most people in the game look on AT favourably.

Until it comes to offering him a job. Sisu are poor employers so the offer of an alternative I am sure would be gratefully received.

If he goes according to most on here no one else will want it. Thorn is a massive assett to sisu and your comment proves it.

Grendel

Have I missed something? has there been an announcement that there is no budget?

No it's the thornites getting their excuses in early.

Brighton Sky Blue

So many times we had quotes from opposition managers along the lines of 'I don't understand why they're struggling' or 'We've been real fortunate to come away with a result'-and even after Southampton, Saints fans were full of praise for the way we tried to give them a game. Equally, these quotes usually come after we've patted the ball around in our own third before launching to Platt , and sticking men behind the ball when we don't have it-damage limitation tactics.
When the players were set up to have a go, they looked half decent-when they were set up to keep the score down, they did so, but would always come unstuck by tiring in the 2nd half, or, at Blackpool and Palace, in injury time (6 points lost as a result). The reality is we had so many opportunities to claw ourselves clear and indeed push away from the drop zone, but they were squandered because we showed far too much respect for the opposition.

ccfcway

Have I missed something? has there been an announcement that there is no budget?

sort of,

you might have missed it as its on another board !!

Higgs have said that they are in talks with SISU and could be approx 60 days before they get their mitts on the ricoh, meaning we will be stuck in this embargo for at least 2 months

Nonleagueherewecome

Nonleagueherewecome

sort of,

you might have missed it as its on another board !!

Higgs have said that they are in talks with SISU and could be approx 60 days before they get their mitts on the ricoh, meaning we will be stuck in this embargo for at least 2 months

Just long enough to guarantee every decent free agent has gone elsewhere. I dare someone to say that SISU are honest, genuine businessmen after this little stunt! I think this is around the 19th time that I've said "They've gone too far this time!"

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
AT will be here this coming season ........ end of

AT isn't going to get the players he really wants or even the ones he thinks he can. I suspect there is a very big black hole in the finances/budget based on an average League 1 team let alone one that challenges. TF and co are going to keep a very tight lid on spending - yes AT the players you have an eye on are free but only in the sense of signing on, they still need wages.

I reckon there is a low player wages budget set and to enable some sort of balance to be set a value placed on the position rather than the player in the position. That means there is an absolute budget limit on say the left back position and we get players to meet that budget ............ not say Hussey is on so much what can we move around in the rest of the team budget to get so and so at so much as well. What that also means is that to get depth on a position a high paid player currently contracted is likely to be moved on.

The decisions will involve AT but they are not his decisions solely to make - in fact i reckon he will have to put up with what he is given (he may get a choice between players but I doubt it will be the choices he is expecting)

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Well Thorn has said in an interview all the players he is looking at are on free transfers, a lot different from the bounce back budget Fisher spouted on about after the Doncaster game.

Nonleagueherewecome

AT will be here this coming season ........ end of

AT isn't going to get the players he really wants or even the ones he thinks he can. I suspect there is a very big black hole in the finances/budget based on an average League 1 team let alone one that challenges. TF and co are going to keep a very tight lid on spending - yes AT the players you have an eye on are free but only in the sense of signing on, they still need wages.

I reckon there is a low player wages budget set and to enable some sort of balance to be set a value placed on the position rather than the player in the position. That means there is an absolute budget limit on say the left back position and we get players to meet that budget ............ not say Hussey is on so much what can we move around in the rest of the team budget to get so and so at so much as well. What that also means is that to get depth on a position a high paid player currently contracted is likely to be moved on.

The decisions will involve AT but they are not his decisions solely to make - in fact i reckon he will have to put up with what he is given (he may get a choice between players but I doubt it will be the choices he is expecting)

I'm sure that's all true. But how do you square it with Fishers "there will be a budget similar to last seasons...SISU know they have made mistakes and cut too far". I mean, I'm pretty certain that he was just lying so he could finish the interview and go home, but in any other business-or at most other clubs-he simply wouldn't get away with such bare-faced contradictions.

Astute

The budget will be at least -1m as they will sell Keogh and anyone else they can raise cash for and not buy anyone. Yet again the wage bill will be much lower.

sylus

The budget will be at least -1m as they will sell Keogh and anyone else they can raise cash for and not buy anyone. Yet again the wage bill will be much lower.

no chance will thorn get a 1m-ish...all his signing will be freebies..i actually think we will be even more shit than this season....

Users who are viewing this thread