This team will be better than the 22/23 team (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

ok time to break out the crayons

The term "managed a draw" indicates a result is a good one so the say we "managed a draw against swansea" is nonsense. The game was a disgrace and part of our awful run that lasted all december and january?

understand or are you just that thick?

I'd stick to pretending you know people at the club and the someone high up at wembley of i was you ;)

Is everything okay at home? Seriously?

Desperate to have a pop that you've taken one sentence about us picking up 4 points in two games and decided to fume because I used the word 'managed' to describe both matches.

Who I know who's worked at Wembley has no correlation and but I'd be happy to let you know via a DM.

Sick Boy

The squad is definitely in a better place than it was last season. Results haven't shown this yet but we've now got solid foundations whereas last season was reliant on 2 key players and 4 major loans. This season, if we can get a decent CM and potentially another ST in January, every position would have been replaced or improved on.

And the key thing is they're all ours ! Not one loan in the squad. That in itself has to be a positive. For the Hamer grievers, this can give us the opportunity of approaching Prem clubs and borrowing their quality players in the next window, especially as we've already shown what we're capable of with this side.
Apart from the 2 loan players we have?

Johhny Blue

ok time to break out the crayons

The term "managed a draw" indicates a result is a good one so the say we "managed a draw against swansea" is nonsense. The game was a disgrace and part of our awful run that lasted all december and january?

understand or are you just that thick?

I'd stick to pretending you know people at the club and the someone high up at wembley of i was you ;)
Time to let it go?

Cov98

Some people in here are not getting the point of this thread at all.

No one is saying these players are better than Gyokores and Hamer. The argument is that the overall team is better, which in my opinion it is. We’re relying a lot less on loans and the permanents we have are of the same if not better quality. Of course we don’t have a player that can compete with Vik Or Gus as they were a cut above everyone in the division.

Put the two of them in this current side and we’d be absolutely flying.

higgs

Some people in here are not getting the point of this thread at all.

No one is saying these players are better than Gyokores and Hamer. The argument is that the overall team is better, which in my opinion it is. We’re relying a lot less on loans and the permanents we have are of the same if not better quality. Of course we don’t have a player that can compete with Vik Or Gus as they were a cut above everyone in the division.

Put the two of them in this current side and we’d be absolutely flying.
We would be Title contenders with them

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Astute

Yep, absolutely. Reading just before was shite. Swansea was a poor result and then we got turned over at Sheffield United and against Wrexham.

The point still stands about the position though. We're miles off the play offs.
In what way?

Now we're finally playing as a team we can get a result against anyone. But what always catches people out is how close we are to the playoffs. We've just played 3 of our hardest games of the season. Only lost 1 and missed a penalty in that game. And we're not much further away from the playoffs. Teams above us are always playing each other. It would only take a few wins to be in the mix.

And for those comparing last seasons points to this season have you considered the slump that was about to happen on the restart? 🧐

Londonccfcfan

Alot of positives in recent weeks. Think we will rise up the table and it's a shame we have such a bad start to the season otherwise play offs would have been a cert (5th or 6th place). it's taken some players half a season to even looking up to speed.

But yes agreed Evo next season does look exciting, players on long term contracts. Apart from Ohare.

But we are back to where we started the season really still that 2 players short. As our strikers (showing promise now) but that's all it is promise.

Brighton Sky Blue

Alot of positives in recent weeks. Think we will rise up the table and it's a shame we have such a bad start to the season otherwise play offs would have been a cert (5th or 6th place). it's taken some players half a season to even looking up to speed.

But yes agreed Evo next season does look exciting, players on long term contracts. Apart from Ohare.

But we are back to where we started the season really still that 2 players short. As our strikers (showing promise now) but that's all it is promise.
We started the season needing to recruit something close to a whole team, and then St Gus chose to go after the season had started. As it is, central midfield is the only urgent position to add to in January.

TomRad85

We started the season needing to recruit something close to a whole team, and then St Gus chose to go after the season had started. As it is, central midfield is the only urgent position to add to in January.
Tbf I think its clear in this new and improved formation we now need more depth out wide too. See Dasilva coming in for Wright as an example.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Londonccfcfan

We have improved as a squad.

But we still need that standout player or players. That can literally dictate a game and take by scruff of the neck and be that player. No one near Hamer/Gyokores level yet. Not sure we could buy that.

TomRad85

We don’t need a marquee signing on the wing. We do need one in the middle.
And tbf I'm with you, we're unlikely to make 2 or 3 'marquee' signings in Jan. Honestly I'd he impressed if we got just 1. Robins has played the January loan market pretty well in recent seasons so let's see what's out there.

Brighton Sky Blue

And tbf I'm with you, we're unlikely to make 2 or 3 'marquee' signings in Jan. Honestly I'd he impressed if we got just 1. Robins has played the January loan market pretty well in recent seasons so let's see what's out there.
Assuming the one we supposedly lined up is still interested perhaps he’ll arrive on Jan 1st or in enough time to rake Dewsbury-Hall

PVA

Tbf I think its clear in this new and improved formation we now need more depth out wide too. See Dasilva coming in for Wright as an example.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Whilst I agree we do need some more depth out wide, to be fair I think Dasilva coming in was a tactical switch to make us more solid on the flanks (which worked I guess) rather than a lack of depth.

Mucca Mad Boys

I think we needed to add more in the summer and already have a Hamer replacement in the wings. So we need a centre forward that can score and a box to box midfielder - so just the spine of the team then effectively

Gyokeres and Hamer piss all over anything in the current squad. Still massive doubts over Haji Wright and to suggest he’s better than Gyokeres would be laughable.

There has been some positive signs in recent weeks but I wouldn’t get carried away.

This side won’t get in the play offs. So it can’t be ‘as good if not better’.

Gyokeres is potentially a £100m player, of course he’s a lot better than what we have.

We obviously need a replacement for Hamer, that’s in the works and Robins has been v open with that. There’s always scope for improvement so we will be looking to make 2-3 signings in Jan and more in the summer.

Our squad, overall, is in a better place because we actually have a team on long term contracts.

Last season, we had 6 loanees and a cohort of 10-12 players that were not good enough for the Championship.

Without Hamer and Gyokeres last season, our squad was probably a lower bottom half table team.

mmttww

Not sure we could buy that.

No, but we didn't buy Hamer and Vik at that stage in their development. We improved them massively year on year.

If MR and AV can get Simms to play with Vik's level of commitment and be relentless like he was, he'll reach that level.

Add a CM in Jan with the potential of Simms / MVE and we're sorted. Godden and Kelly replacements in the summer.

SkyBlueMatt

We have improved as a squad.

But we still need that standout player or players. That can literally dictate a game and take by scruff of the neck and be that player. No one near Hamer/Gyokores level yet. Not sure we could buy that.

Exactly, not yet. ;)

I'll start by saying it's unlikely that the players we've signed will hit the levels of Gyokeres or Hamer. They were rare talents but they improved drastically during their time here.

If Simms or any of the other signings can improve on that trajectory. This time next year, we could have one of those players. It's been harder for them as well because they never joined a settled side.

rexo87

Felt a real disconnect for the first few months of the season. Mixture of Wembley hangover and a whole new squad i think. Return of Ohare has helped with that and feel fully back now. Loved seeing the fight against Leeds yesterday and the videos of the Xmas party going around, seems as though the team spirit is getting back to what it was last season.

Excited for the team to gel even more for the rest of the season. I think we may have left ourselves a bit too much to do for play offs this season but a strong second half of the season plus a nice little FA Cup run would be nice.

I honestly think next season could be top 2. Side will have fully gelled and the league will be a lot weaker than this season with Luton, Burnley and Sheff U being a lot weaker than Leeds, Southampton and Leicester. Just need that proper number 8 and probably a number 10 if Ohare goes and we will be there i think

baldy

Felt a real disconnect for the first few months of the season. Mixture of Wembley hangover and a whole new squad i think. Return of Ohare has helped with that and feel fully back now. Loved seeing the fight against Leeds yesterday and the videos of the Xmas party going around, seems as though the team spirit is getting back to what it was last season.

Excited for the team to gel even more for the rest of the season. I think we may have left ourselves a bit too much to do for play offs this season but a strong second half of the season plus a nice little FA Cup run would be nice.

I honestly think next season could be top 2. Side will have fully gelled and the league will be a lot weaker than this season with Luton, Burnley and Sheff U being a lot weaker than Leeds, Southampton and Leicester. Just need that proper number 8 and probably a number 10 if Ohare goes and we will be there i think

I hope all these predictions of top 2 don’t come back to bite some people - I’d luv to see that too,would be immense, but let’s not get too cocky ffs

DannyThomas_1981

It's a good debate.

Robins has a superb record of upgrading teams and this time around will be no different - despite the loss of 2 of the best players I have seen in a City shirt.

It's worth a mention that of our 11 starters at Wembley, only 3 started on Saturday. It's a team that's been rebuilt and is now on the way to getting much better. Under a very well assembled coaching set up.

Robins also doesn't play favourites or automatically pick his.signings. For example, I'm sure that Robins and the coaches have great relationships with Dabo, McFadz, Kelly, God, JJ (still not convinced he should have gone!) etc. over time. But he has no sentiment and players are relegated to the bench or out of the club if performances drop. Certainly a charge that MR can be tactically inflexible during games but in terms of always building and progressing teams - completely top class.

Hincha

Luton didn't have any players as good as Gyok & Hamer and finished 10 points ahead of us. Ipswich don't have a player as good either and they will finish on more points than we did last year.

This team definitely has the potential to succeed the 22/23 team but needs to keep growing and become more cohesive. Feels more likely to be next season.

Boicey

What budget do you think Robins will get to buy ‘2 or 3’ more players?
Will it be enough to buy good quality that will make a significant difference?
If the answer is ‘not that much’ to both then this team is largely how it’s going to be for a couple of seasons or so.
The fact remains most of the extraordinary transfer bonus this year has been spent on Wright and Simms. The real issue is they must come good by consistently scoring a good number of goals. Otherwise we may struggle to make the playoffs in the short term.
That said I do like this squad and the spirit that’s building and it’s connection to the fans. This may help them punch above their weight.

Last edited:

Peter Billing Eyes

This team are collectively better. There were a couple of games last year where I thought that without Gyokeres or Hamer we would be around the lower end of the division. The problem is, the quality of the championship is higher this season and I don’t expect the likes of Watford, Norwich or West Brom to misfire like they did in the last campaign.

Sick Boy

Luton didn't have any players as good as Gyok & Hamer and finished 10 points ahead of us. Ipswich don't have a player as good either and they will finish on more points than we did last year.

This team definitely has the potential to succeed the 22/23 team but needs to keep growing and become more cohesive. Feels more likely to be next season.
Overall Luton’s first team and squad was stronger than ours.

Skybluedownunder

This team are collectively better. There were a couple of games last year where I thought that without Gyokeres or Hamer we would be around the lower end of the division. The problem is, the quality of the championship is higher this season and I don’t expect the likes of Watford, Norwich or West Brom to misfire like they did in the last campaign.

Completely agree.

Us having a better team this season has no correlation to us finishing higher if the teams around us have actually got better like Peter here mentions.

A lot of good teams last season fumbled the bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread