This season's Shirt Sponsor (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If you don't choose to add them then you are denying the club extra funds to sign Liam Walsh and you are probably not a real fan. That's why my custom shirt last season was covered in 30 different SkyBet patches.

Now you've said that I want the next league sponsor to be a quit smoking organisation just so they've all got Nicorette patches on the arms.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Are you suggesting that advertising doesn’t work? I’d suggest the modern economy says otherwise. Ask any of the people that created google, for example.

I’m not sure the “it won’t influence anyone” argument stacks up, given that’s the entire point of advertising and it’s a rather large industry. Companies don’t spend money on marketing for the fun of it. They do it because it works. Therefore it’s pretty certain that advertising at football will influence children, they are people after all.

For me the question is whether that is an acceptable price to pay for the (much needed) money it brings in to the club. For me, the answer is yes, it probably is worth it from the club’s POV. But I can totally see where WillenhallSkyBlue is coming from.

I’d also agree that there are many that are moaning who don’t have the same background as WSB, but just like to moan (possibly for unrelated reasons, it’s just a good stick to beat the club with).

Just my opinion.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Until yesterday I thought Boylesports was Birmingham City's really crap kit manufacturer.... Not even joking!
I also must admit that I didn’t realise they were a betting company. The name doesn’t give it away, like Bet365 or SkyBet and if you aren’t a betting person then they aren’t that well known. Thus why there will definitely be the strap line underneath the logo on the shirts.

BigadamL

All these moany buggers will be sat at home with a new shirt on come Christmas, it could of been anyone and some snowflake would of moaned, I wanted hooters as the sponsor but you don’t see me moaning.
get on with it

usskyblue

All these moany buggers will be sat at home with a new shirt on come Christmas, it could of been anyone and some snowflake would of moaned, I wanted hooters as the sponsor but you don’t see me moaning.
get on with it

Out of interest, what are people that moan about moaners called m8 ?

usskyblue

You mean people who don’t care if it’s a betting company and just glad we are attracting bigger money?

What I don’t get about people that whiff on about snowflakes, is that they cry like empathy actually costs summut. You only gave it value by devoting your energy to moaning about snowflakes.

(BTW. This is what happens before I’ve had a beer. Extend the conversation in a couple of hours if you’d like an escalation.)

BigadamL

What I don’t get about people that whiff on about snowflakes, is that they cry like empathy actually costs summut. You gave it value by devoting your energy to moaning about snowflakes.

(BTW. This is what happens before I’ve had a beer. Extend the conversation in a couple of hour if you’d like an escalation.)
Fucking hell you seriously need to knock one out.
Threatening someone because you had a beer -extend the conversation and we can have an escalation just makes you look an absolute cock.

so now we know you are a keyboard warrior and a snowflake.

Last edited:

BigadamL

What I don’t get about people that whiff on about snowflakes, is that they cry like empathy actually costs summut. You only gave it value by devoting your energy to moaning about snowflakes.

(BTW. This is what happens before I’ve had a beer. Extend the conversation in a couple of hours if you’d like an escalation.)
Might want to lay off the beers if you can’t just post something once

usskyblue

Fucking hell you seriously need to knock one out.
Threatening someone because you had a beer -extend the conversation and we can have an escalation just makes you look and absolute cock.

so now we know you are a keyboard warrior and a snowflake.

Sensitive little soul aren’t you for one spewing on about snowflakes?

I said that I hadn’t had a beer, therefore I felt that I was probably over thinking your lack of empathy, and now evidently, your devastating shortfall in maturity. I thought that perhaps a beer (or ten) would allow for a conversation more on your level.

Top use of the word ‘cock’ btw

BigadamL

If you touch me in the correct place I can be sensitive, but we don’t take about that online with strange men online.

maturity? strange one? Don’t drink or bet and yet I still don’t have a problem with our sponsor and maybe I should cry about it all over the internet

usskyblue

If you touch me in the correct place I can be sensitive, but we don’t take about that online with strange men online.

maturity? strange one? Don’t drink or bet and yet I still don’t have a problem with our sponsor and maybe I should cry about it all over the internet

You are crying about people......

...nevermind.

What are you wearing?

worc0257

Have studied this a bit, and if you google "prisoner's dilemma" and "cigarette advertising" you'll find a lot of interesting stuff.

In a nutshell, when it was proposed that cigarette advertising be made illegal, all the major companies didn't make much of a fuss, and when it happened their profits all went up. Surprising? Not really. Advertising wasn't really creating new smokers, which is what you absolutely need if your product is literally killing your customers. But company X didn't dare spend less than company Y for fear of losing market share. When it was abolished across the board, both company X and company Y could safely transfer their advertising budgets into what really works, which is making smoking more affordable, e.g. lots of free samples to kids in the third world to get them addicted.

So, arguably, the more money football clubs can make betting companies "waste" on sponsorship, the better.

Not in any way trying to play down the effect of gambling addiction on families, and I agree the new sponsors are not a great look. I wish they were an old-established Coventry firm. But there aren't many of them left.

Speedies_Chips

I also must admit that I didn’t realise they were a betting company. The name doesn’t give it away, like Bet365 or SkyBet and if you aren’t a betting person then they aren’t that well known. Thus why there will definitely be the strap line underneath the logo on the shirts.
I’m with you. I don’t gamble and until today I’d never heard of them. And having their name on our shirts will not make me start gambling.

clint van damme

get on with it

some of the people expressing concern are people who have had gambling issues in the past. I don't see anything wrong with people who have suffered because of gambling doing so, I think some of the comments directed at them are out of order including being called 'moany buggers'.

As I've stated, not got an issue with it myself and as others have said football (and sport in general) now go hand in hand with gambling but some of the smart arse comments directed towards some of our fellow supporters is cuntish in my oinion.

A decent take on it.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Have studied this a bit, and if you google "prisoner's dilemma" and "cigarette advertising" you'll find a lot of interesting stuff.

In a nutshell, when it was proposed that cigarette advertising be made illegal, all the major companies didn't make much of a fuss, and when it happened their profits all went up. Surprising? Not really. Advertising wasn't really creating new smokers, which is what you absolutely need if your product is literally killing your customers. But company X didn't dare spend less than company Y for fear of losing market share. When it was abolished across the board, both company X and company Y could safely transfer their advertising budgets into what really works, which is making smoking more affordable, e.g. lots of free samples to kids in the third world to get them addicted.

So, arguably, the more money football clubs can make betting companies "waste" on sponsorship, the better.

Not in any way trying to play down the effect of gambling addiction on families, and I agree the new sponsors are not a great look. I wish they were an old-established Coventry firm. But there aren't many of them left.
Singers Sewing Machines?

shmmeee

So I google cigarette advertising and I got this paper looking at Canada that says there’s good evidence cigarette advertising works.

clint van damme

Do we know how much the deal was worth in the end?

not sure if it was on here or social media someone said that Allsop had been asked to double their sponsorship from 250K to 500K. No idea how accurate that is. The article you've linked in your next post would suggest more, let's hope so.

skyblu3sk

Yeah the 3 year deal with city link was £1m but I think that was for all 3 years so 1m divided by 3 would be circa £333k a year so a 1 year deal with Boyle sports must be less than that right?

shmmeee

They said biggest since 2011/12 so you’ve got to assume it’s smaller than all our previous Championship deals.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Are you suggesting that advertising doesn’t work? I’d suggest the modern economy says otherwise. Ask any of the people that created google, for example.

I’m not sure the “it won’t influence anyone” argument stacks up, given that’s the entire point of advertising and it’s a rather large industry. Companies don’t spend money on marketing for the fun of it. They do it because it works. Therefore it’s pretty certain that advertising at football will influence children, they are people after all.

For me the question is whether that is an acceptable price to pay for the (much needed) money it brings in to the club. For me, the answer is yes, it probably is worth it from the club’s POV. But I can totally see where WillenhallSkyBlue is coming from.

I’d also agree that there are many that are moaning who don’t have the same background as WSB, but just like to moan (possibly for unrelated reasons, it’s just a good stick to beat the club with).

Just my opinion.

The argument companies, especially those that are already well-established and sell products/services that are deemed to be 'unhealthy', use is that it's there to make people pick their product or brand opposed to another one. It's a rather weak argument though because I don't have many vices but fast food is one and I have had occassions where I've had no intention of having it, seen an advert on the TV and thought "yeah, why not. Not in the mood to cook tonight". So I imagine it could be a very similar situation for those with alcohol/gambling problems.

Users who are viewing this thread