Things that annoy you (17 Viewers)

shmmeee

It's not about what I want, have to look after myself and provide. Not going to sit about whinging, will do what's within my power to sort it.

As per the post that started this off, I'm not going to moan about being skint and wages etc but go out to buy dominoes/coffees all the time. I'd budget and make my own pizza / coffee as much as I could if that was what I wanted.

If I wanted to be in a position to afford them both all the time, I'd do what I could about it. That's not keeping other people down, that's doing things for myself.

And if you were working in an industry where you can’t do any of these things? Public sector for example. What you suggest is what people like me did: move industry. And that leads to my daughter not getting taught a national curriculum subject because there’s no teachers. Or you having a waiting list wait cos there’s no doctors or whatever.

You’re making the Labour centre left argument of “high tech jobs and training” but someone’s still got to do the job you leave. It doesn’t solve the problem, just moves it to someone else.

People are right to be annoyed at wages in this country. They’re universally shit. No matter how much personal development you do. You’ll just be moving to being underpaid in a different role.

Really don’t get this absolute cuckold behaviour.

shmmeee

Also, you stop buying dominoes and their profits go down and they employ fewer people.

What is it in this country with people being happy with poverty and a shit economy?

It’s no coincidence that wages started dropping as unionisation, or moaning about your job if you will, disappeared. This is very basic economic theory: workers asking for raises to keep up with inflation. Without it you get the absolute shit hole economy we’ve got.

Nick

Administrator
And if you were working in an industry where you can’t do any of these things? Public sector for example. What you suggest is what people like me did: move industry. And that leads to my daughter not getting taught a national curriculum subject because there’s no teachers. Or you having a waiting list wait cos there’s no doctors or whatever.

You’re making the Labour centre left argument of “high tech jobs and training” but someone’s still got to do the job you leave. It doesn’t solve the problem, just moves it to someone else.

People are right to be annoyed at wages in this country. They’re universally shit. No matter how much personal development you do. You’ll just be moving to being underpaid in a different role.

Really don’t get this absolute cuckold behaviour.

How is it cuckold to suggest people try and do something about it for themselves? If anything it's the complete opposite.

Could just sit about and whinge while smashing Pizzas, drinking Starbucks and blasting through 20 Lambert and Butler or do something about it?*

*Yes, I know there are plenty of people who have no luxuries like that and can't afford to eat. That's absolutely not what I'm on about.

Nick

Administrator
Also, you stop buying dominoes and their profits go down and they employ fewer people.

What is it in this country with people being happy with poverty and a shit economy?

It’s no coincidence that wages started dropping as unionisation, or moaning about your job if you will, disappeared. This is very basic economic theory: workers asking for raises to keep up with inflation. Without itfor you get the absolute shit hole economy we’ve got.

How is it being happy? It's saying "I don't want to be in poverty so I'm going do X,Y and Z about it".

I'd love somebody to say "here you go, have this £10k extra a year" but I know it's not likely. I can either moan about it or I can try and get it into my control to do something about it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong to suggest budgeting (I am sure the vast majority do already) if people are struggling for money.

shmmeee

How is it cuckold to suggest people try and do something about it for themselves? If anything it's the complete opposite.

Could just sit about and whinge while smashing Pizzas, drinking Starbucks and blasting through 20 Lambert and Butler or do something about it?*

*Yes, I know there are plenty of people who have no luxuries like that and can't afford to eat. That's absolutely not what I'm on about.

Because we’re all getting fucked. I can’t keep repeating myself. Wages in this country are a joke at every level and people are complaining because they can’t afford the things they used to. Telling them to reduce their standard of living whether it’s cutting dominoes or going vegetarian or giving up their car or whatever else you’ve decided they shouldn’t be buying is cucking for businesses that are massively fucking over their staff.

Yes people could spend less. But this will just mean less income for other workers. It’s a disease in this country. Always looking for an excuse to cheap out and make do with life getting worse. Be it public services, wages, anything. We’re obsessed with the idea that everything will be fine if we just live like paupers. Proper cap doffing bollocks.

What raises wages across the board throughout history was workers complaining.

Nick

Administrator
Because we’re all getting fucked. I can’t keep repeating myself. Wages in this country are a joke at every level and people are complaining because they can’t afford the things they used to. Telling them to reduce their standard of living whether it’s cutting dominoes or going vegetarian or giving up their car or whatever else you’ve decided they shouldn’t be buying is cucking for businesses that are massively fucking over their staff.

Yes people could spend less. But this will just mean less income for other workers. It’s a disease in this country. Always looking for an excuse to cheap out and make do with life getting worse. Be it public services, wages, anything. We’re obsessed with the idea that everything will be fine if we just live like paupers. Proper cap doffing bollocks.

What raises wages across the board throughout hisory was workers complaining.

When have I said people give up their car? If people choose to get financed up on a car way over their needs (Looking at the A class merc crew) then that's an issue too. Of course people will need cars, they don't need takeaway pizza.

I just suggested that people budget and prioritise spending if they are struggling for money. It's common sense. It's fucking madness that "Get a pizza from Asda and whack it in the oven and save money" is now "reducing the standard of living". Same as "get a travel mug, make coffee before you leave for work and save money".

"Why should I cut down on pizza?" "Why should I stop drinking?" "Why should I give up £5 coffees?" "I want to smoke 20 a day" Do something about it then.

That sort of shit is making a mockery of people who are actually struggling. It isn't doffing a cap, it's getting on with it and making the best of it as possible.

shmmeee

When have I said people give up their car? If people choose to get financed up on a car way over their needs (Looking at the A class merc crew) then that's an issue too. Of course people will need cars, they don't need takeaway pizza.

I just suggested that people budget and prioritise spending if they are struggling for money. It's common sense. It's fucking madness that "Get a pizza from Asda and whack it in the oven and save money" is now "reducing the standard of living". Same as "get a travel mug, make coffee before you leave for work and save money".

"Why should I cut down on pizza?" "Why should I stop drinking?" "Why should I give up £5 coffees?" "I want to smoke 20 a day" Do something about it then.

That sort of shit is making a mockery of people who are actually struggling. It isn't doffing a cap, it's getting on with it and making the best of it as possible.

Giving up a car is what I did when money was tight. Was a massive expense for little benefit. Far more expensive than a couple of dominoes. Actual poor people don’t tend to have a car, or eat meat. So I threw those in as things people needing to save money can do. You like them so don’t count them but you paying for a new car or eating meat every day are just as much modern extravagances.

jimmyhillsfanclub

What raises wages across the board throughout history was workers complaining.

Whilst I agree with all of this in principle, Its worth pointing out that UK wages are not significantly different to comparable nations.
UK wages are marginally better than France, Spain, Italy & Ireland, whilst marginally worse than Germany & the Benelux nations for example......

What REALLY fucks us Brits up is the cost of living + the overall tax burden....Housing, Rent, Insurance, public transport even the aforementioned shit costa coffee......way way over-priced compared to the other EU nations.

shmmeee

Whilst I agree with all of this in principle, Its worth pointing out that UK wages are not significantly different to comparable nations.
UK wages are marginally better than France, Spain, Italy & Ireland, whilst marginally worse than Germany & the Benelux nations for example......

What REALLY fucks us Brits up is the cost of living + the overall tax burden....Housing, Rent, Insurance, public transport even the aforementioned shit costa coffee......way way over-priced compared to the other EU nations.

Housing is a huge issue. Bigger than wages and more easily fixable. But I’d take real issue with the idea wages are fine. We’ve seen zero wage growth in 20 years.

I left uni in 2004 and got a job on £27k. That same job today pays £18k. My apprenticeship in 2000 paid £14.5k. Wages are absolutely pathetic. That’s the case across Europe. There’s a reason we get called europoors by other continents.

jimmyhillsfanclub

The cunts who have deliberately smashed glass along exactly 0.7km of cycle lane on my way to swimming this morning.

Little shits.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Housing is a huge issue. Bigger than wages and more easily fixable. But I’d take real issue with the idea wages are fine. We’ve seen zero wage growth in 20 years.

I left uni in 2004 and got a job on £27k. That same job today pays £18k. My apprenticeship in 2000 paid £14.5k. Wages are absolutely pathetic. That’s the case across Europe. There’s a reason we get called europoors by other continents.

Just to be clear, I never said they were fine...... just that they're in line with other similar nations.

Sick Boy

Over the last 5 years the UK has become increasingly similar to Italy- for those in both the public and private sectors there’s been zero wage growth here with the cost of living rapidly increasing. There’s also a real lack of affordable housing with new properties being excessively expensive and affordable housing being used for AirBnb.

Nick

Administrator
Giving up a car is what I did when money was tight. Was a massive expense for little benefit. Far more expensive than a couple of dominoes. Actual poor people don’t tend to have a car, or eat meat. So I threw those in as things people needing to save money can do. You like them so don’t count them but you paying for a new car or eating meat every day are just as much modern extravagances.

I wish I had a new car!! I'm not sure I eat meat every day either.

shmmeee

Over the last 5 years the UK has become increasingly similar to Italy- for those in both the public and private sectors there’s been zero wage growth here with the cost of living rapidly increasing. There’s also a real lack of affordable housing with new properties being excessively expensive and affordable housing being used for AirBnb.

There’s not really such a thing as affordable housing. If new properties are high end, then logically those moving in are leaving lower end properties open.

Don’t know about Italy, but our problem here is we just stopped building anything about 50 years ago. Transport, infrastructure like reservoirs, and housing, all ground to a halt.

You’ve got local councillors in London Zone 1 complaining about flats that’s are too tall. In central London!! And that’s the norm.

We just need to build a lot more houses. Like in the millions. Our stock is poor quality and we have one of the lowest empty property percentages in Europe. And we need to start telling angry groups of boomers to fuck off and that they world doesn’t run around preserving their property prices and ensuring the landscape looks the same as it did when they were a kid.

Nick

Administrator
So they are things you’d do to save money. That’s all I was saying, just listing things someone might do to save money.

Yeah I'd prioritise and budget if I needed to, it works better than saying "I need more pay" but then going to Dominoes and moaning about quality of life.

Brighton Sky Blue

The problem comes when people have cut all of those expenses and still must choose between heating and eating.

OffenhamSkyBlue

I would just love to know exactly where all this money for everyone to have a "real-terms" pay rise is going to come from without it crippling business, the public purse and putting inflation and interest rates back through the roof.
Warwick University has something approaching 7000 staff. Where do you suppose it would get the money to give everyone a 10% pay rise? Is the university not a "viable" business?

shmmeee

Yeah I'd prioritise and budget if I needed to, it works better than saying "I need more pay" but then going to Dominoes and moaning about quality of life.

But Dominoes is part of quality of life. It’s all a scale with gruel and foraged berries at one end and 10/10 supermodels serving you caviar on the toilet at the other.

BodicoteSkyBlue

Luton Airport, the place is a building site & the immigration hall is having technical “difficulties” with the Egates! Same automated apology on loop and the offer of a free bottle of water to cheer us up. 😡

Brighton Sky Blue

I would just love to know exactly where all this money for everyone to have a "real-terms" pay rise is going to come from without it crippling business, the public purse and putting inflation and interest rates back through the roof.
Warwick University has something approaching 7000 staff. Where do you suppose it would get the money to give everyone a 10% pay rise? Is the university not a "viable" business?
If I were being cynical, I’d say that it and other businesses have been riding a gravy train of low wages for 14 years.

shmmeee

Is argue University is a public service not a business. But I know the reality of funding isn’t the case. But yes, they had a surplus of over £100m so they can afford to pay staff properly. Or they can charge overseas students more.

OffenhamSkyBlue

If I were being cynical, I’d say that it and other businesses have been riding a gravy train of low wages for 14 years.
Probably longer than 14 years. It has been the case that HE sector wages have been behind the inflation curve for as long as i have been in it, which is nigh-on 40 years. Warwick isn't alone in this, as there are nationally agreed pay scales and pay awards.

shmmeee

Probably longer than 14 years. It has been the case that HE sector wages have been behind the inflation curve for as long as i have been in it, which is nigh-on 40 years. Warwick isn't alone in this, as there are nationally agreed pay scales and pay awards.

I left secondary teaching in part because we hadn’t had a pay rise in the ten years I’d been doing it. Even after five years experience and HoD I was on less than your average London graduate.

I really think paying public sector workers well is a no brainer. They exist all over the country in pretty even numbers, are likely to spend the money in the economy, and it saves in locum/supply/staff turnover costs.

The pension is supposed to be the counterweight but that’s been eroded as well. I think most would rather a proper paycheck and a reduced pension these days.

OffenhamSkyBlue

I left secondary teaching in part because we hadn’t had a pay rise in the ten years I’d been doing it. Even after five years experience and HoD I was on less than your average London graduate.

I really think paying public sector workers well is a no brainer. They exist all over the country in pretty even numbers, are likely to spend the money in the economy, and it saves in locum/supply/staff turnover costs.

The pension is supposed to be the counterweight but that’s been eroded as well. I think most would rather a proper paycheck and a reduced pension these days.
Not for me, shmmeee. I am not far from retiring and being comfortable in retirement is critical to my thinking. My father-in-law's mantra is that the whole point of going to work is to save enough money to enjoy your retirement!!

Last edited:

shmmeee

Not for me, shmmeee. I am not far from retiring and being comfortable in retirement is critical to my thinking. My father-in-law's mantra is that the whole point of going to work is to save enough money to enjoy your retirement!!

No I agree. Though I have doubts whatever a 22 year old teacher signs up for today will be honoured in 50 years.

shmmeee

The pension is still very good and about one of the very few remaining attractions of the job.

What is it BTW? I called Teacher Pensions the other day to ask what the deal was if I ever went back and they said cos I’ve been out over five years I’d start on the new pension that came in in 2022 but didn’t say what that was.

Users who are viewing this thread