Thierry Katsukunya (4 Viewers)

Sky Blue Pete

Becomes harder and harder doesn’t it to break through the higher the level we play at

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Can clubs not agree fees independently?Even through a tribunal they do stipulate staggered payments based on appearances and call ups etc. Hopefully there are some in our favour if he succeeds.

edit: I’m thinking of over 16 I think, EPPP looks complicated. Hope we don’t lose out

Like STP said I think bigger clubs look to snatch them before they enter full-time academy because it's a lot cheaper and difficult for clubs to retain them contractually because of their age. When the system came in it looked like it had basically been decided upon by the top clubs, who could pick up good talent for peanuts. Of course it was sold as being excellent for the lower leagues because they got reimbursed for the players :rolleyes:

I don't mind a set fee being provided (it should have a scale based on what leagues the selling and buying clubs are in) but I think the fee should also automatically include a min 25% sell-on fee for any fee the club taking them receive in future, along with a set fee for if they play a first team game for the club (sliding scale depending on the level it is at) or if they play internationally (even if the player has moved on from the buying club).

Frostie

Like STP said I think bigger clubs look to snatch them before they enter full-time academy because it's a lot cheaper and difficult for clubs to retain them contractually because of their age. When the system came in it looked like it had basically been decided upon by the top clubs, who could pick up good talent for peanuts. Of course it was sold as being excellent for the lower leagues because they got reimbursed for the players :rolleyes:

That's exactly what happened, bullied through. EFL clubs were told they'd have PL funding withdrawn if they didn't bow down to it.

BornSlippySkyBlue

I don't mind a set fee being provided (it should have a scale based on what leagues the selling and buying clubs are in) but I think the fee should also automatically include a min 25% sell-on fee for any fee the club taking them receive in future, along with a set fee for if they play a first team game for the club (sliding scale depending on the level it is at) or if they play internationally (even if the player has moved on from the buying club).
Yeah my brief reading suggested it was all about the premier league (clues in the name I guess). Totally agree, there should be a decent sell-on automatically else it reduces the incentive for lower league clubs to run academies if their best players always get poached for an amount that can end up being tiny compared to the future market value. Obviously not all players end up being worth much, but that’s the risk you take with academies. Anyway, fuck villa!

PVA

Can't really argue with a 6 figure fee (admittedly that leaves it open for a very wide range - is it 100k or 999k?) plus future incentives/add ons for a 16 year old kid to be fair

Gibbo

Bad move for the kid given the way we bring players through our system.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Now remind me when was the last time a youth player gained a regular first team place. The answer is Bayliss, four seasons ago.

So no we don't bring players through. We develop potential then flog them before people realise they are not quite good enough - see Thomas, Stevenson, Bayliss, Bremang. Or we parcel them off to lower league clubs - see Ponticelli. This guy is in the former camp.

ceetee

Now remind me when was the last time a youth player gained a regular first team place. The answer is Bayliss, four seasons ago.

So no we don't bring players through. We develop potential then flog them before people realise they are not quite good enough - see Thomas, Stevenson, Bayliss, Bremang. Or we parcel them off to lower league clubs - see Ponticelli. This guy is in the former camp.

Funny but I thought Maddison came through our academy

slowpoke

Remember we have just signed 18 year old Abel Alabi similar position so maybe losing Thierry isn’t too bad, that’s not saying Alabi is better but football constantly evolves. The Villa interest will have been known for a while.

Perryccfc

The way of the world. We do it to clubs lower down and we will have clubs higher up do it to us. As long as the club is prudent in fee’s which it appears they have in this case then so be it.

slowpoke

Correct, in the last couple of years or so we have signed a few 16/17/18 year olds from various lower end/non league clubs they won’t all make first team do well if a couple do. The others move on.

Last edited:

steve cooper

The other side of this, which some posters on here may not have considered is, amongst the benefits for a kid joining this club, is that we don't stand in their way if they get a chance of a move which will benefit their career.
Add that to the reputation of our academy and the fact that we give them a chance of first team football in a good skillful team early on in their career if they merit it, that makes us a very attractive package to the best kids and their family.

Users who are viewing this thread