There's no loyalty in football (2 Viewers)

Harry_Walker

Devon Kelly-Evans has signed for Nuneaton in the 6th tier and Dion Kelly-Evans has signed for Kettering in the 7th tier and you think we should have kept them here . Shipley was barely good enough in League 2 so shouldn’t be in our team in League 1. It’s not a lack of loyalty it’s getting rid of deadwood and picking the better players. Too much sentimentality in football nowadays

rob9872

Grimmer was in the L2 team of the year as voted by fellow pros.scored at Wembley (and a screamer against Stoke). Sterling may prove to be better but he's not ours and I agree Grimmer should have started yesterda. Imo he earned the right from last season to continue at least until he made a mistake. I'm not hanging a young kid like Sterling out to dry after one game but thought he was badly positioned in terms of shape for the first goal yesterday. He'll improve and I know he's highly rated by Chelsea but I do think the op has a point, perhaps not as he stated bit the general principle I agree with.

Sky Blue Pete

Grimmer was in the L2 team of the year as voted by fellow pros.scored at Wembley (and a screamer against Stoke). Sterling may prove to be better but he's not ours and I agree Grimmer should have started yesterda. Imo he earned the right from last season to continue at least until he made a mistake. I'm not hanging a young kid like Sterling out to dry after one game but thought he was badly positioned in terms of shape for the first goal yesterday. He'll improve and I know he's highly rated by Chelsea but I do think the op has a point, perhaps not as he stated bit the general principle I agree with.
Seen it now and the guy runs passed Ogogo and Sterling

Sky Blue Harry H

How'd you know there was raised eyebrows amongst the other players? Did they tell you?

A reporter picked up on it
th

Sky Blue Harry H

We have a few young players - some who will progress (maybe beyond us) and some who will not cut the mustard. Like others, I become attached to players and, who can fail to have an affinity with those involved during the final run in last year. Sad if any of them get left behind, but there is an inevitability that it will happen to some. What will be sad is if we turn on the youngsters when they have a dip, as we are not always the best judge of a player's worth/ability - Jacob Murphy, Maddison (by some on here) etc etc. Rise together and all that - sounds glib, but if we turn on players we can quickly destroy their confidence or have those players who remember that we did (McNulty?)

rob9872

Devon Kelly-Evans has signed for Nuneaton in the 6th tier and Dion Kelly-Evans has signed for Kettering in the 7th tier and you think we should have kept them here . Shipley was barely good enough in League 2 so shouldn’t be in our team in League 1. It’s not a lack of loyalty it’s getting rid of deadwood and picking the better players. Too much sentimentality in football nowadays
Shipley barely good enough? Did you go to any games last season? 19 year old home grown kid comes into the side with no experience scored half a dozen goals and as many assists including a couple of screamers in about 30 games. He was plenty good enough last season and will improve again. Honestly our fan bade annoys me at times, not because they don't share my opinion but because they consistenyly look for the negative in our own kids. Bayliss will be the better of the two I'm sure but with some patience Shippers could be here for a long time and be a proper Sky Blue hero imo.

Grendel

Shipley was barely good enough? He was pivotal in helping achieve promotion you clown

Last edited:

Grendel

Saying there is no loyalty we have offered the security of a 3 year contract so a couple of players who I doubt will exactly be in demand elsewhere

oucho

We all like to think of teams as "a club" where the manager is like a scout master overseeing a bunch of friendly cubs. Reality is that CCFC, in common with every other team, is a hard-headed business where, unless you are likely to deliver the goods for the next game, you are surplus and always going to be binned off despite whatever contribution you have made previously. That's sentimentally sad but is 100% how it should be in a results-focused business.

Fergie was the ultimate hard-head in this regard; dropping the likes of Jim Leighton for the 1990 cup final replay, Bryan Robson (club legend) for the 1994 FA Cup final and Steve Bruce (another club legend) for the 1996 FA Cup final was purely for tactical reasons - United won all three games with Les Sealey, Roy Keane and David May, respectively, having good games in the places of those dropped.

The only thing that's important is the advancement of the team on the pitch and each player is expendable and replaceable once there is someone else in their position who can offer more than them.

Sky Blue Harry H

We all like to think of teams as "a club" where the manager is like a scout master overseeing a bunch of friendly cubs. Reality is that CCFC, in common with every other team, is a hard-headed business where, unless you are likely to deliver the goods for the next game, you are surplus and always going to be binned off despite whatever contribution you have made previously. That's sentimentally sad but is 100% how it should be in a results-focused business.

Fergie was the ultimate hard-head in this regard; dropping the likes of Jim Leighton for the 1990 cup final replay, Bryan Robson (club legend) for the 1994 FA Cup final and Steve Bruce (another club legend) for the 1996 FA Cup final was purely for tactical reasons - United won all three games with Les Sealey, Roy Keane and David May, respectively, having good games in the places of those dropped.

The only thing that's important is the advancement of the team on the pitch and each player is expendable and replaceable once there is someone else in their position who can offer more than them.
. Outed yourself as a closet Man U fan there Oucho !!!

PVA

Grimmer should have started yesterday but no problem with Shipley being on the bench and with Jones to return soon Shipley will get even less game time.

Certainly don't have a problem with the DKEs being released, they clearly weren't good enough and we had no reason to be loyal to them.

Covstu

Shipley barely good enough? Did you go to any games last season? 19 year old home grown kid comes into the side with no experience scored half a dozen goals and as many assists including a couple of screamers in about 30 games. He was plenty good enough last season and will improve again. Honestly our fan bade annoys me at times, not because they don't share my opinion but because they consistenyly look for the negative in our own kids. Bayliss will be the better of the two I'm sure but with some patience Shippers could be here for a long time and be a proper Sky Blue hero imo.
This is what irritates me, Shipley had a good season and for me I think he will get better but all of a sudden he isn’t good enough by some fans? Not buying that one!

Grendel

Just why? Clearly football people know less than you Grendel. Let’s see hey

Next you’ll be telling me it was a great idea when we gave David Bell a 4 year deal.

Garryb80

This is what irritates me, Shipley had a good season and for me I think he will get better but all of a sudden he isn’t good enough by some fans? Not buying that one!
Nobody will convince me differently. He doesnt tackle, has poor delivery from most set pieces and doesnt appear to have a position. He has some ability but nowhere near enough to start in our team for me. Being young and local isnt a reason.

Sky Blue Pete

Next you’ll be telling me it was a great idea when we gave David Bell a 4 year deal.
Nope but Kelly and Biamou showed enough to have investment in them. Kelly as I think he’ll be a big player and max for the potential he showed by improving so much last year. Bet he was on less than £50k last season. Anyway I’m sure you hope you’re wrong too. Fully expect a striker to come in

Covstu

Nobody will convince me differently. He doesnt tackle, has poor delivery from most set pieces and doesnt appear to have a position. He has some ability but nowhere near enough to start in our team for me. Being young and local isnt a reason.
You must be watching a different game, the amount of balls he wins and makes things happen all last season. He will grow to become a better player this season again

stevefloyd

I would say the manager done his job and picked the team he thought would win !! Unfortunatley Sterling never covered himself in glory but then again in the pre season friendlies I watched neither has Grimmer.
To say we should keep players in the team that done well for us last season is crazy, now if players do well in training they earn the right to get a start, if they don't take their chance they either have to sulk or work harder.
I was surprised Grimmer wasn't used but he has to get his head down and work the same as every other player, we could all pick a different team but its the management team that see the players every day in training, maybe Grimmer wasn't quite up to fitness who knows and Shipley, although I like the lad isn't a tough tackler but he gives it his best shot and has done well but they are all mercenaries the same as we are in our everyday lives, the difference is we are fans that choose to watch our beloved team play and they just go because its a place of work!!!

stevefloyd

Also Sterling may have played to appease Chelsea football club and who knows they might be loaning us another player so its best to keep in with the top clubs and keep their protegees happy

Captain Dart

It was the callous way they were released that raised eyebrows among the other players

Football is ruthless, they were never good enough for League One.
They got a lot of experience from the club, it is up to them to do whatever is best for their careers now.

ccfchoi87

I think people have misunderstood what I was getting at in the original post (probably my fault)!

I wouldn't have kept the DKE twins. What I am saying is you can't call Maddison and Thomas, who played in the same age groups, Judas' for leaving when the club would've binned them off had they not performed. It's the way football is.

I'm also not saying we shouldn't have signed anyone. What I meant was that Grimmer was perfectly adequate at right back and his last contribution was scoring a wonder goal at Wembley. For me he deserved a chance to keep his spot until it was lost. Shipley was the exact same. Two kids came in and took their spots on the basis of what? They were shown no loyalty by their manager for their performances last year.

Which comes back to my point that there is no loyalty in football and it cannot be demanded or expected anymore.

Nick

Administrator
I think people have misunderstood what I was getting at in the original post (probably my fault)!

I wouldn't have kept the DKE twins. What I am saying is you can't call Maddison and Thomas, who played in the same age groups, Judas' for leaving when the club would've binned them off had they not performed. It's the way football is.

I'm also not saying we shouldn't have signed anyone. What I meant was that Grimmer was perfectly adequate at right back and his last contribution was scoring a wonder goal at Wembley. For me he deserved a chance to keep his spot until it was lost. Shipley was the exact same. Two kids came in and took their spots on the basis of what? They were shown no loyalty by their manager for their performances last year.

Which comes back to my point that there is no loyalty in football and it cannot be demanded or expected anymore.

My issue with Thomas was the way he pissed about for months. My issue with McNulty moving up a league was the threat of him being in a mood.

Players moving on is part of football, depends how they do it.

Hobo

No loyalty from a lot of our fans towards some of our players from day 1 of them signing for the club.

Johhny Blue

Mcnulty left us this summer for bigger and better things as many players have done before. They receive abuse for being money grabbers etc. Today grimmer and Shipley were shown no loyalty by their manager as they were unfairly dropped for newcomers. The Kelly Evans twins were shown no loyalty for their services when they were binned this summer. Can anyone blame the mercenaries such as Leon Clarke who follow the money? Why should players show loyalty if they are shown no loyalty by their clubs? There's no loyalty in football and it shouldn't be expected of the players.
Based on loyalty maybe wee should keep Doyler in the team until he’s 65.
Or Jimmy Greaves should have played in the ‘66 world cup final instrad of Geoff Hurst

thekidfromstrettoncamp

"Poor delivery" if a Mr R Gould of this parish had delivery like the ones from the angle of the box that Shipley puts in he would score double figures from headers alone.

Users who are viewing this thread