There's no loyalty in football (1 Viewer)

ccfchoi87

Mcnulty left us this summer for bigger and better things as many players have done before. They receive abuse for being money grabbers etc. Today grimmer and Shipley were shown no loyalty by their manager as they were unfairly dropped for newcomers. The Kelly Evans twins were shown no loyalty for their services when they were binned this summer. Can anyone blame the mercenaries such as Leon Clarke who follow the money? Why should players show loyalty if they are shown no loyalty by their clubs? There's no loyalty in football and it shouldn't be expected of the players.

Nick

Administrator
What makes them unfairly dropped? Shipley came on and struggled massively.

The Kelly Evans twins aren't playing in the football league at the minute are they?

I have no issue with McNulty going up the leagues, I do have an issue with him and his agent saying he will go in a strop if he isn't allowed to move.

ccfchoi87

The Kelly Evans twins aren't playing in the football league at the minute are they?

I have no issue with McNulty going up the leagues, I do have an issue with him and his agent saying he will go in a strop if he isn't allowed to move.

They got us to league one and were not given the chance to start today. The two lads in their place showed nothing to suggest they are better. We can't demand their loyalty if they are shown none by their manager. I think the players who got us to league one deserved to keep their place until they lost it.

Nick

Administrator
They got us to league one and were not given the chance to start today. The two lads in their place showed nothing to suggest they are better. We can't demand their loyalty if they are shown none by their manager. I think the players who got us to league one deserved to keep their place until they lost it.

Who would you have dropped to play Shipley?

Should we have kept Stokes and Haynes and kept them at left back?

Maybe Robins has seen more in training from some of the newer players, was obvious with Sterling coming in that Grimmer would either be on the bench or new Kyle Walker.

Speedies_Chips

Football managers live and die by results. Loyalty doesn't come into it, they have to acquire the best players possible for the league you are in. Strachan used to show loyalty to players like Paul Williams and Paul Telfer, and look where that got us.
I thought Grimmer was quite average last season despite most fans liking him because he could run forward (even if there was rarely an end product), so if he is average in League 2, you surely have to replace him in League 1.

ccfchoi87

Who would you have dropped to play Shipley?

Should we have kept Stokes and Haynes and kept them at left back?

Maybe Robins has seen more in training from some of the newer players, was obvious with Sterling coming in that Grimmer would either be on the bench or new Kyle Walker.

I'd have played Shipley over Hiwula. No one is saying you should never improve but I didn't see any improvement in those two decisions. Haynes and stokes didn't do enough last year to keep their place. I thought grimmer and Shipley did. My point is that you can't demand players to stick with their clubs if their clubs won't stick with them

Grendel

There was no logical reason to dispense with grimmer today at all. We may as well have kept Stokes as a back up defender as well as we had nothing today at all other as back up

Greggs

There was no logical reason to dispense with grimmer today at all. We may as well have kept Stokes as a back up defender as well as we had nothing today at all other as back up
Junior Brown on the bench?

Grendel

Junior Brown on the bench?

Stokes would have been an ideal replacement when Willis went off. He’s a leader on the pitch and it’s hard to fathom why we let him go.

Greggs

Stokes would have been an ideal replacement when Willis went off. He’s a leader on the pitch and it’s hard to fathom why we let him go.
I agree. I think Robins has done a bit too much with the squad, i hope it doesn't cost him. A lot can be said for momentum, which he seems to have totally destroyed.

Hobo

Exactly this

Samo

Mcnulty left us this summer for bigger and better things as many players have done before. They receive abuse for being money grabbers etc. Today grimmer and Shipley were shown no loyalty by their manager as they were unfairly dropped for newcomers. The Kelly Evans twins were shown no loyalty for their services when they were binned this summer. Can anyone blame the mercenaries such as Leon Clarke who follow the money? Why should players show loyalty if they are shown no loyalty by their clubs? There's no loyalty in football and it shouldn't be expected of the players.

Loyalty is rare enough in life! Those who expect it in football are deluded. And yes, if I were Grimmer, I'd be pissed off. Not because he has a right to start but because if Sterling wasn't a loanee from the Prem with the accompanying politics, he would have started.

pusbccfc

He took a huge pay rise. Wouldn't you?

fernandopartridge

Erm they scored our last two goals of last season. One was virtually ever present + consistent.

Nick

Administrator
Agree with maybe Grimmer. Although Shipley scored I can't see where he would have fit in.

Andreu has really given him a headache of how to line up as I reckon if he didn't get injured last year either Shipley or bayliss wouldn't have played as much
Erm they scored our last two goals of last season. One was virtually ever present + consistent.

Garryb80

Shipley isn't in my opinion good enough. I argued this last year but he got away with it a little in league 2. Grimmer overall is our second best right back. Getting promoted means improving the squad. Sticking with the same players 'out of loyalty' could end in disaster

fernandopartridge

Shipley isn't in my opinion good enough. I argued this last year but he got away with it a little in league 2. Grimmer overall is our second best right back. Getting promoted means improving the squad. Sticking with the same players 'out of loyalty' could end in disaster
The 'better' right back Sterling hasn't played a game at L1 level or any senior level, Grimmer did well for Shrewsbury at this level. Sterling kooked culpable for both goals.
I have sympathy with your point about Shipley but it remains to be seen whether or not he's good enough

better days

The Kelly-Evans twins didn't have their contracts renewed at the end of a season they both barely featured in, to give them new contracts in the name of loyalty makes no sense for either side.
It was the callous way they were released that raised eyebrows among the other players

procdoc

Why would we waste money on new contracts for the Kelly-Evans twins? They barely featured in league two so they'd be even further down the pecking order in league one.

AlansEyes

How much loyalty would Robins get if he started with a new season in L1 made up of players from last season? If he did that and we lost people would be straight on his back about not improving the squad. If he thinks the players he has bought are better than what was already here then of course he has to play them. I seem to recall Shipley and Grimmer being noted on here as players who were ok in L2 but potentially not up to L1. I think people must still think of the player from 3 years ago when they think about Stokes and to anyone suggesting that not offering DKEx2 new contracts is a lack of loyalty - they couldn't consistently force themselves into the squad in L2, so why keep them on in L1?

Garryb80

The 'better' right back Sterling hasn't played a game at L1 level or any senior level, Grimmer did well for Shrewsbury at this level. Sterling kooked culpable for both goals.
I have sympathy with your point about Shipley but it remains to be seen whether or not he's good enough
so you base sterling on 1 game? He played for chelsea in a cup tie played all 4 games for england under 19s and could play in the championship. Grimmer is a decent right back but thats it. He isnt our best right back as i originally said

fernandopartridge

so you base sterling on 1 game? He played for chelsea in a cup tie played all 4 games for england under 19s and could play in the championship. Grimmer is a decent right back but thats it. He isnt our best right back as i originally said
I'm saying he's inexperienced and thus there is no evidence to say he's the best right back, u19 and u23 football is inferior to the senior game. He potentially could be great but unfair on Grimmer that Robins selected potential over actuality.

Users who are viewing this thread