The worse thing about next season- (1 Viewer)

Pusb1

The potential for fans to become unrealistic and turn on Robins.

The reality is, we have lost very few games over the previous few seasons- and the likelihood is that next season we will lose more games than we win. In all, a 21st place finish must be considered a success.

Even with this, we could see winless runs not experienced for several seasons.

It is important to keep a sense of perspective, and that we were in League 2 only a few seasons ago, however the case has been where many fans get bored with losing, or midtable mediocrity, regardless of division.

Examples-
Blackburn fans are now turning on Mowbray, a manager who has them now a midtable championship club from a team very much on the decline,
Bournemouth fans turning toxic on Howe
Leicester ridding of Ranieri after a league win
Barnsley and Luton dismissing managers following promotion
Even Bristol Rovers when Darrell Clarke took them from Non League to League One, many fans were outraged with him.

Fans soon forget the division, and expect wins, however the reality of our comparative budget, and our rise through the leagues will be forgotton.

We need to all stick with Robins and the team this season!

Pusb

Covcraig@bury

I think we will do better than most people on here think.
Staying up is a must even a bonus so let’s not be negative.
Onwards and upwards PUSB .

fernandopartridge

The reality is, we have lost very few games over the previous few seasons- and the likelihood is that next season we will lose more games than we win. In all, a 21st place finish must be considered a success.

It is important to keep a sense of perspective, and that we were in League 2 only a few seasons ago, however the case has been where many fans get bored with losing, or midtable mediocrity, regardless of division.

Examples-
Blackburn fans are now turning on Mowbray, a manager who has them now a midtable championship club from a team very much on the decline,
Even Bristol Rovers when Darrell Clarke took them from Non League to League One, many fans were outraged with him.

Fans soon forget the division, and expect wins, however the reality of our comparative budget, and our rise through the leagues will be forgotton.

Pusb

In fairness Blackburn should never have been relegated under Mowbray in the first place, their finish to the season is very typical Mowbray. They are still comparative big spenders in that league.
I agree overall with the premise here though

Ring Of Steel

Examples-

Pusb

take a look at some of the threads about signings & also some of the opinions expressed about the team & manager blatantly not being good enough last season (as we coasted to the title)- expectations have already been unrealistic for some time.

Skybluefaz

Examples-

Pusb
giphy.gif

SAJ

Goodluck with that m8.

I take it you didn’t read the match day threads on here when we were challenging for the title?

‘CHANGE IT FFS’ and taxis everyfuckingwhere.
And before Christmas the moaning that we wouldn’t do anything in the league because we couldn’t win away despite us being 5th at the time. Some of our fans are so unrealistic.

Paxman II

Back with the negativity again? What is it with some of you? Please consider we may actually do comfortably well next season? I've seen nothing apart from a few teams to be concerned about. We strengthened each season from League 2 to the championship. To say just survival should be considered a success is absolutely stupid. That's saying we have poor management, with poor expectations and a weak squad even before we strenthen. Clearly not the case. I guarantee we will be considerably better than quite a few in the championship.

SkyBlueCRJ

Back with the negativity again? What is it with some of you? Please consider we may actually do comfortably well next season? I've seen nothing apart from a few teams to be concerned about. We strengthened each season from League 2 to the championship. To say just survival should be considered a success is absolutely stupid. That's saying we have poor management, with poor expectations and a weak squad even before we strenthen. Clearly not the case. I guarantee we will be considerably better than quite a few in the championship.

Given that we'll have one of, if not the smallest budgets in the league, it's hardly being stupid or negative.

It's being realistic.

procdoc

The two games against Birmingham suggested to me that we will be able to compete. Out of interest when Sheffield United got promoted from league one to the championship what was their budget in comparison to the rest of the league?

Adge

It may be a blessing that we are possibly going to start behind closed doors wherever that may be and could initially be a good leveller to kick off with.
Lets not be under any illusion that it is not going to be difficult task to survive and with that in mind we have to not undo all the good work in getting the relationship and connection back between the fans and the club. We all know what a difference having everyone singing from the same hymn sheet has achieved more recently and hopefully that will continue in Coventry instead of outside of the City, which will give us the best chance of survival. If we are getting tonked next season on occasions and we do not manage to survive, the numbers may well drop off in terms of support, (if fans are allowed) but we should stick with Robins and co unless of course they decide to call it a day.

Adge

The two games against Birmingham suggested to me that we will be able to compete. Out of interest when Sheffield United got promoted from league one to the championship what was their budget in comparison to the rest of the league?
Not sure we can really use that as a yard stick (2 games). I’m sure over a Championship season of 40 odd games that Birmingham would have had the consistency and know how to finish comfortably above us.

RegTheDonk

I think most fans have realistic expectations and would be happy if we ended up safe with games to spare. As you say, it'll be day trippers who will turn things toxic.

shmmeee

Not sure we can really use that as a yard stick (2 games). I’m sure over a Championship season of 40 odd games that Birmingham would have had the consistency and know how to finish comfortably above us.

The Sheff Utd point is a fair one though, we’ve already beaten their most expensive signing and clearly wages aren’t the be all and end all some would like to portray.

Don’t get me wrong I’m expecting 21st to be a good finish, but the idea anyone dreaming of more is naive is a fallacy IMO.

Ring Of Steel

The Sheff Utd point is a fair one though, we’ve already beaten their most expensive signing and clearly wages aren’t the be all and end all some would like to portray.

Don’t get me wrong I’m expecting 21st to be a good finish, but the idea anyone dreaming of more is naive is a fallacy IMO.

That’s the nature of some, particularly on here- for whatever reason they think that being “realistic” (ie permanently negative) is actually really smart, like it proves they know more than everyone else.

Adge

That’s the nature of some, particularly on here- for whatever reason they think that being “realistic” (ie permanently negative) is actually really smart, like it proves they know more than everyone else.
Or maybe just thinking that if we do stay up it is a damn fine return and anything else is a bonus?

Ring Of Steel

Or maybe just thinking that if we do stay up it is a damn fine return and anything else is a bonus?

I can see that, I’ve got my sights a little higher tbf- why not while we’ve got the kind of momentum we have now?

(cue all the statistics about budgets & money, would be a miracle, we’re doomed etc)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Examples-

Pusb

I work with a Blackburn season ticket holder and he has said the fans have been unhappy with him for a while.

Danny Graham
Dominic Samuel
Bradley Dack
Adam Armstrong
Stewart Downing
Lewis Holtby

How do you end up withering in mid table with that lot?

#Robins4lyf

Reactions: vow

Skybluefaz

I work with a Blackburn season ticket holder and he has said the fans have been unhappy with him for a while.

Danny Graham
Dominic Samuel
Bradley Dack
Adam Armstrong
Stewart Downing
Lewis Holtby

How do you end up withering in mid table with that lot?

#Robins4lyf
I'd take Dack and Armstrong, hardly think the rest give you the devine right for a play off push. 35 year old Downing, 34 year old Graham. Samuel I don't think has ever bettered his spell with us in league one and Holtby looked absolutely nothing special in the Prem. No idea how he's been doing tbf.

Users who are viewing this thread