The worse thing about next season- (1 Viewer)

Adge

It ain't gonna happen, we will finish at least 12th
And I think we would all most definitely take that!
Realistically, I’m just looking at us being better than 3 other teams, for example, Wigan, Rotherham and possibly Wycombe if they beat Oxford or vice-versa. That would be job done.

Ring Of Steel

And I think we would all most definitely take that!
Realistically, I’m just looking at us being better than 3 other teams, for example, Wigan, Rotherham and possibly Wycombe if they beat Oxford or vice-versa. That would be job done.

Its one of the rare seasons where I have absolutely no clue what to expect- aside from top 10 no final position would come as a surprise.

Legia Sky Blue

I've watched a few Championship games since the resumption to get an idea of what to expect next season. Before this I was of the view that finishing 21st in our first season back would be a success. However given that we ought to comfortably be better than Rotherham and Oxford/ Wycombe that only leaves one other team to better, which given the state some of these clubs are in should not prove too difficult. I now see no reason why we shouldn't finish mid table at least. Most of the teams I've seen including those threatening the play offs (Preston/ Millwall/ Swansea) seem fairly limited. I expected a lot higher standard.

What is noticeable is that it is very much a young man's league. Most teams are filled with players in their early/ mid 20's, that I was previously largely unaware of. Apart from Rooney who still seems decent, most of 'the name' players, as mentioned in the post about Blackburn, are past it and largely ineffective. I would expect any team with such players to struggle. If we can harness the confidence and feel good factor from this season just gone I am quite hopeful of us exceeding most of our expectations.

Sky Blue Harry H

However given that we ought to comfortably be better than Rotherham

I hope you are right, but Rotherham have a lot more Championship experience than us, and I don't think it's a given that we will finish above them (although I obviously hope so). They were the only team we played against (over 2 games) last season that I felt we were struggling against.

Magwitch

It’s a difficult league to predict Middlesbrough for example were amongst the favourites for atleast a play off spot, Hull, Stoke and Huddersfield also favoured to do better than they have
Our record this season is remarkable lost just three and two of them were flukes for the opposition.
We have been promoted with one of the best playing records for years in any division all be it nine games short. I’m certain we won’t struggle as some on here think. Only a one off cup tie I know but I saw enough of mid table Birmingham to hold no fears for us.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I'd take Dack and Armstrong, hardly think the rest give you the devine right for a play off push. 35 year old Downing, 34 year old Graham. Samuel I don't think has ever bettered his spell with us in league one and Holtby looked absolutely nothing special in the Prem. No idea how he's been doing tbf.
Couldn't agree more. Also at the point where Dack did his ACL and was out for the rest of the season Blackburn were three points off the playoffs.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I'd take Dack and Armstrong, hardly think the rest give you the devine right for a play off push. 35 year old Downing, 34 year old Graham. Samuel I don't think has ever bettered his spell with us in league one and Holtby looked absolutely nothing special in the Prem. No idea how he's been doing tbf.

Holtby was in the Bundesliga not long ago and playing very well.

Graham scores between 10 and 15 every season.

That team should be performing a lot better than that.

Sky Blue Harry H

Holtby was in the Bundesliga not long ago and playing very well.

Graham scores between 10 and 15 every season.

That team should be performing a lot better than that.
Sometimes it's square pegs in round holes, or players who don't bond. We've been reallylucky/s blessed since that league 2 relegation. Just trying to soak it in/enjoy it for as long as it lasts. Middlesbro another example (Mowbray connection!) of a club turned sour.

Legia Sky Blue

I hope you are right, but Rotherham have a lot more Championship experience than us, and I don't think it's a given that we will finish above them (although I obviously hope so). They were the only team we played against (over 2 games) last season that I felt we were struggling against.

The Championship is a whole different ball game than League 1. From what I've seen we are far better suited to the football needed there than Rotherham. Yes they have more experience, but that experience involves struggling and getting relegated. They are a team full of giants, who like to use their physicality to impose themselves on the opposition, and yes in certain games that might work, maybe against us even, but over a whole season it won't be enough at this level. While that one dimensional style can work well in League 1, it is much less effective in the Championship, where refs don't let things go as much. I am confident we will adapt to the Championship much better than they will. If however we do finish below Rotherham I would expect us to be relegated.

christonabike

Buy a season ticket turn up dont have any expectations and take each game as it comes, Rome wasnt built in a day and Robins needs time to adjust blah blah.........
Or listen to it on the radio and and ring Clive up giving an expert opinion based on a load of players Clive has named who arent playing and "I wasnt there today but went to the play off final with me son" type of pillock.

Users who are viewing this thread