The World Cup Thread (8 Viewers)

Grendel

Stop twisting things.

I have said England could beat them. We could easily have beaten Croatia (should have maybe been 3-0 up) and Croatia could have beaten France today.

I have said time and time again England would need luck (3 goals today were lucky) and for France to not play well.

Of course we could have beaten them

Croatia in reality didn’t come close to actually winning the game.

France are by far the best team in the tournament - you won’t even accept that for some reason

mark82

France are by far the best team in the tournament - you won’t even accept that for some reason

The refereeing mistakes created a difficult situation for Croatia. It was 2-2 on legitimate goals.

Otis

Croatia could above won the game today.

We all said it on here in that first half they totally dominated, yet found themselves 2 goals down.

Grendel

Croatia, and they were the better team today.

They were nowhere near as good as France - France defended them out the game in the second half

Grendel

Croatia could above won the game today.

We all said it on here in that first half they totally dominated, yet found themselves 2 goals down.

How many meaningful saves did the French keeper make?

ccfchoi87

I disagree, thought they were totally outclassed. Croatia scraped to the final with an easy draw really. They didn't beat anyone good (maybe Argentina?) and drew their 3 knockout games in normal time. I'd say Belgium and Brazil were better than them.

Otis

They were nowhere near as good as France - France defended them out the game in the second half
Yeah, in the second half!

First half Croatia should have been ahead and then that can totally change the dynamics of any game, being 2-1 up rather than 1-0 down.

Gazolba

Derpends how you define better.
The football rules state it's who scores the most goals. France did that.
The football rules never stated anything about possession, passes or near misses.

mark82

Yeah, France were excellent defensively all tournament. It's not that they weren't worthy winners of the tournament but they had a huge amount of luck on their side today. They were more clinical when they had heir chances.

Otis

I personally think Croatia 8/10 times beat England and France 19/20 beat England
Wouldn't go that far, but would say we could beat Croatia 3 or 4 times out of 10 and France probably twice out of 10, maybe 3 times if we were lucky enough.

As I keep saying, quite often France do not play to their potential. We have seen that a few times in this competition where they have huffed and puffed and had some luck.

ccfchoi87

The football rules never stated anything about possession, passes or near misses.

And to be fair, there wasn't any near misses. They scored a good goal and a total fluke than only happened as the game was over.

mark82

2-2 on legitimate goals. Final was ruined by poor decisions so we'll never know.

Reactions: vow

Grendel

Yeah, in the second half!

First half Croatia should have been ahead and then that can totally change the dynamics of any game, being 2-1 up rather than 1-0 down.

How many saves by the keeper in the first half?

Gazolba

2-2 on legitimate goals. Final was ruined by poor decisions so we'll never know.
There were all kinds of wrong decisions in the game, not just those two.
At least two corner-kicks were awarded as goal kicks.
Those corner kicks could have resulted in goals.

Otis

How many saves by the keeper in the first half?
Can't save a shot that is well past him.

Without those two goals that shouldn't have been Croatia would have gone in 1 up.

That changes the dynamics in the second half.

I had France to win and I had a high scoring game (6 goals). Also had 7 and Pogba should have made it so.

I predicted correctly, but today we saw the best and the worst of France, poor in the first half and very clinical in the second.

Gazolba

Did anyone notice during the final, there were no shots of attractive women in the crowd?
I believe that was a FIFA directive.

Otis

Did anyone notice during the final, there were no shots of attractive women in the crowd?
Is that maybe because all French and Croatian women are pig ugly?

Or maybe the cameraman was gay. Did they focus on blokes instead?

Otis

Does anyone know what happens in the next world cup in terms of League One and Two football?

The event is Nov 21st to December 18th and I know the Premier League will have a break. Guessing the Championship the same too. But what about Leagues 1 and 2?

Just thinking that it they carry on as normal isn't there the possibility of a clash of games being on in the tournament at the same time as domestic games?

Qatar is just 2 hours ahead.

Brighton Sky Blue

It was tough for the Croats without defenders gifting chances all over the place but Loris very sportingly donated one. No question who deserved to win this one.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Does anyone know what happens in the next world cup in terms of League One and Two football?

The event is Nov 21st to December 18th and I know the Premier League will have a break. Guessing the Championship the same too. But what about Leagues 1 and 2?

Just thinking that it they carry on as normal isn't there the possibility of a clash of games being on in the tournament at the same time as domestic games?

Qatar is just 2 hours ahead.

Don’t care about those minnows, will that mean Cov have no champions league games in November and December of that year?

Otis

Don’t care about those minnows, will that mean Cov have no champions league games in November and December of that year?
Yeah, but I'm more benevolent than you. ;o)

Was just thinking if L1 and 2 games went ahead, they may not clash exactly with WC games, but a league game could finish at 5 and then a WC game could kick off at 5 or 6 and then fans with a distance to travel and especially long distance away fans would never get back home in time for games. Wouldn't that result in lower crowds while the tournament was on?

Think the only solution is to postpone all football league games.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Yeah, but I'm more benevolent than you. ;o)

Was just thinking if L1 and 2 games went ahead, they may not clash exactly with WC games, but a league game could finish at 5 and then a WC game could kick off at 5 or 6 and then fans with a distance to travel and especially long distance away fans would never get back home in time for games. Wouldn't that result in lower crowds while the tournament was on?

Think the only solution is to postpone all football league games.

The draw will be made before/around time fixtures come out (usually 6/7 months before comp, I’m sure clubs could rearrange games around potential clashes, so if an England game falls at 3pm on Saturday games could be moved to Friday or Sunday but if 3pm Saturday is Egypt v Saudi Arabia teams may go ahead etc, either way it works hope Club football at a lower level continues

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I don't think it's crazy, he may have scored several pens but if defenders are going to wrestle players to the ground somebody has to take them.

No I’m not one of these to ‘discount’ pens at all, just fact he had after the Tunisia game a ‘poor’ World Cup imo for a side that got to the semis, there main man was missing for the KO’s in open play.

Users who are viewing this thread