The World Cup Thread (4 Viewers)

tisza

No plan B?

You can't just play for free kicks, corners and penalties.

While the love in goes on, we were pretty lucky to scrape through some of the games.
think you can say that for a fair number of teams.
still a tournament dominated by set-pieces,odd moments of brilliance, some exciting games as opposed to high-quality football.
Even France were doing enough to win games without setting the world on fire.
Once they expand it further going to be much more of the same.

tommydazzle

CJ, I would be interested in what you really made of Russia. Over here we're told that Putin had a firm grip on things with hooligans kept at bay by state threats and fans largely confined to fanzones. Did you find you could go where you liked including outside the fanzones and visit Russian bars, hop on a train to wherever you liked etc. The commentators on TalkSport were all saying that while the Russian restaurants had good looking menus, most of the stuff on them wasn't available and it was quicker to ask what they had. They also said it was common for the food (and sometimes even the cutlery) to arrive at different times even when you ordered as a group or just a couple.

From your reports it certainly seemed a great opportunity to experience some freedom to visit various bits of Russia.

Otis

CJ, I would be interested in what you really made of Russia. Over here we're told that Putin had a firm grip on things with hooligans kept at bay by state threats and fans largely confined to fanzones. Did you find you could go where you liked including outside the fanzones and visit Russian bars, hop on a train to wherever you liked etc. The commentators on TalkSport were all saying that while the Russian restaurants had good looking menus, most of the stuff on them wasn't available and it was quicker to ask what they had. They also said it was common for the food (and sometimes even the cutlery) to arrive at different times even when you ordered as a group or just a couple.

From your reports it certainly seemed a great opportunity to experience some freedom to visit various bits of Russia.
As I said before, there were some 'clean up' operations taking place.

They poisoned all the street cats and dogs in Vologograd (wiped them off the face of the earth) to make it look better there and even spent 1/2 a million on spraying the Vologograd arena trying to kill the midges.

Lots of smoke and mirrors going on to show a 'wonderful' and 'vibrant city', with problems all masked, as if there were no problems,.

tommydazzle

They poisoned all the street cats and dogs in Vologograd (wiped them off the face of the earth) to make it look better there and even spent 1/2 a million on spraying the Vologograd arena trying to kill the midges.

Lots of smoke and mirrors going on to show a 'wonderful' and 'vibrant city', with problems all masked, as if there were no problems,.
Yes it's been a pretty good PR victory for Putin - but masking some serious economic problems. Hopefully they weren't using novichok to spray the midges.

tommydazzle

Euros in Poland apparently involved the mass removal of poor people from their homes who might otherwise spoil the appearance of the tournament on TV. As always lots of dirty dodgy stuff with FIFA.

skyblueinBaku

Like in the 1980 Olympics. Loads of 'dubious' characters and prostitutes were banished from Moscow for the duration of the games.

skyblueinBaku

The commentators on TalkSport were all saying that while the Russian restaurants had good looking menus, most of the stuff on them wasn't available and it was quicker to ask what they had. They also said it was common for the food (and sometimes even the cutlery) to arrive at different times even when you ordered as a group or just a couple.
It was like that when I lived there years ago, Tommy. If there was no price against a menu item, it wasn't available. If there was a price, there was a chance that you could order it, but no guarantee that it was available.

CJ_covblaze

It was as good as everyone says. Not a hint of trouble. The Euros are important to Putin too and UEFA have threatened to strip them of it if anything happens so for the next two years I doubt any English fan going over there for the Champions/Europa League will be met with any trouble. I met with some of the Spartak hooligans and they couldn’t have been more accommodating. They admitted they were in Marseille but “their job was different for this tournament”.

CJ_covblaze

We suspected something like this was going on very early into our trip. There were no tramps in Moscow either. When I asked about it I was told they were all rounded up, given digs and a job in public service (road cleaning etc).

Sick Boy

Euros in Poland apparently involved the mass removal of poor people from their homes who might otherwise spoil the appearance of the tournament on TV. As always lots of dirty dodgy stuff with FIFA.

Wasn't there all of the stuff around the Olympics here and the removal of homeless people? I was living here at the time but I'm sure I remember it being mentioned.

wingy

Bit Smoggy In Paris this evening!!
The Pompiers shooting their hoses to form an arch for the plane was a nice spectacle.

Otis

This new 48 country World Cup is bonkers.

16 groups of 3, with 2 going through from each, group, meaning only 1 team misses out.

Nuts.

Covstu

This new 48 country World Cup is bonkers.

16 groups of 3, with 2 going through from each, group, meaning only 1 team misses out.

Nuts.
Like the euros which means you get more dross getting through to the later rounds. Also they would surely have to play games at the same time otherwise it would go on for about 4 months!

CJ_covblaze

Like the euros which means you get more dross getting through to the later rounds. Also they would surely have to play games at the same time otherwise it would go on for about 4 months!

It’s a stupid idea. It means that if team a beats team b in the first game, in the next one team a can play for a draw against team c who will be playing in their first game. Huge advantage to play first.

Otis

It’s a stupid idea. It means that if team a beats team b in the first game, in the next one team a can play for a draw against team c who will be playing in their first game. Huge advantage to play first.
Yep, exactly, CJ.

Plain daft.

In a group of 3 only 2 teams can play at the same time, obviously against each other. The third team will sit it out.

Like you have stated, great advantage then for the team from the first game in the second match because they will already know what they need.

SkyblueBazza

2006 starting XI against Portugal:

Robinson
G Neville
Terry
Ferdinand
A Cole
Hargreaves
Beckham
Gerrard
Lampard
J Cole
Rooney

2018 starting XI against Croatia:

Pickford
Walker
Stones
Maguire
Trippier
Young
Alli
Henderson
Lingard
Sterling
Kane

Sorry CJ it isn't even close.

It matters not who is in the team. What is achieved is the thing that counts. The current one made the semi-final of the world cup. The past one simply didn't.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

CJ_covblaze

Lovren over Maguire, Godín or Alderweireld?
Paulinho over Kante or Rakitic?
Neymar over Kane?
Young?
A96C74F6-2A98-477B-B0B2-D6BF347C5978.jpeg

CJ_covblaze

Yep, exactly, CJ.

Plain daft.

In a group of 3 only 2 teams can play at the same time, obviously against each other. The third team will sit it out.

Like you have stated, great advantage then for the team from the first game in the second match because they will already know what they need.

It just won’t work. I’d rather they do it in 4 years as Qatar could be a great tournament but the one in the Americas will be one. I’d rather it ruin the first one than the second.

CJ_covblaze

Grendel

It just won’t work. I’d rather they do it in 4 years as Qatar could be a great tournament but the one in the Americas will be one. I’d rather it ruin the first one than the second.

It was done once before - 82 I believe

CJ_covblaze

Grendel

covmark

Young, Neymar and Lovren should be nowhere near the team of the tournament. Neymar was good at rolling around on the deck, but that was it.
Lovren and Young were both very average.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

CJ_covblaze

Westendlad

It was as good as everyone says. Not a hint of trouble. The Euros are important to Putin too and UEFA have threatened to strip them of it if anything happens so for the next two years I doubt any English fan going over there for the Champions/Europa League will be met with any trouble. I met with some of the Spartak hooligans and they couldn’t have been more accommodating. They admitted they were in Marseille but “their job was different for this tournament”.
Their job was different' ??

CJ_covblaze

Users who are viewing this thread