The Shipley Bid (1 Viewer)

Grendel

KenilworthSkyBlue

I'd heard he was going to Bolton so assume his agent sorted out his personal deal but it didn't go through as we wanted a large fee

Seems strange BD, especially when we were reportedly having cashflow issues last month? Do you think that we'll activate his one year extension (I think he has one correct me if i'm wrong) and then try to sell again in the summer when clubs have more capital to spend?

Seems a bit of a risky tactic if so as there are no guarantees that interested parties will return.

rob9872

Seems strange BD, especially when we were reportedly having cashflow issues last month? Do you think that we'll activate his one year extension (I think he has one correct me if i'm wrong) and then try to sell again in the summer when clubs have more capital to spend?

Seems a bit of a risky tactic if so as there are no guarantees that interested parties will return.
I'd be surprised but if we are going to activate it then we should do it now. It might help being more committed as if he gets injured he has no contract, so activating now might increase the fee we can command.

KenilworthSkyBlue

I'd be surprised but if we are going to activate it then we should do it now. It might help being more committed as if he gets injured he has no contract, so activating now might increase the fee we can command.

Not sure I understand your logic here Rob? Risky to activate it now as what if he suffers an ACL injury for instance. That would mean no sale and we're likely stuck with him for the entirety of next season.

Unsure whether we will or won't. But if we do it would make far more sense to activate it at the end of the season. Still a risk though of course, as like I said, what's the plan if there are no interested parties willing to purchase him in the summer.

Just makes the decision of choosing not to sell in the January window all the more stranger.

better days

@Skybluebeliever said recently that no decision had been made about Shippers or Jones
Looking unlikely that Jones will be offered anything based on recent selections

KenilworthSkyBlue

@Skybluebeliever said recently that no decision had been made about Shippers or Jones
Looking unlikely that Jones will be offered anything based on recent selections

Agreed. I think it's probably best for both parties that Jones finds a career elsewhere. Clearly isn't in Robins' plans moving forward and he really needs to kick-start his career and play regular first-team football.

Will be interesting to see what the club's plans are with Shipley.

rob9872

Not sure I understand your logic here Rob? Risky to activate it now as what if he suffers an ACL injury for instance. That would mean no sale and we're likely stuck with him for the entirety of next season.

Unsure whether we will or won't. But if we do it would make far more sense to activate it at the end of the season. Still a risk though of course, as like I said, what's the plan if there are no interested parties willing to purchase him in the summer.

Just makes the decision of choosing not to sell in the January window all the more stranger.
Sorry KSB, I meant to get the best out of him. I wouldn't go 100% committed into challenges would you? Of course arguably he's never really done that but with family and mortgage commitments and no security, you might pull out of a 50/50

KenilworthSkyBlue

Sorry KSB, I meant to get the best out of him. I wouldn't go 100% committed into challenges would you? Of course arguably he's never really done that but with family and mortgage commitments and no security, you might pull out of a 50/50

To be honest Rob Shipley pulls out of the majority of 50/50's anyway! I don't think he needs a new contract to incentivise him to do that even more than he already does.

I suspect we'll release him but I just can't wrap my head around why we didn't sell when we had the chance. No doubt the upfront fee would have been nominal but beggars can't be choosers and it's better getting something than nothing at all.

Adge

Not had a meeting since we'll before the pandemic and his family no longer go to games. We played 5aside with Rose's dad a fortnight ago so if I defend him now is that the same? Fact is you mention this every time, I consistently back all our players. Robins picks the side not the players. I've not jumped in on loads of posts about him lately but a singled out thread after a poor team performance are we only allowed to respond if we agree with the criticism? All I said is he wasn't alone and wasn't the worst. Both of those are true.
Fair point. It was obviously not Shipley’s fault we lost or any game we have lost in the past where he has been a part of the team, that’s obvious. What is his fault is that as a professional footballer, the people who support him would expect an athelete (such as a Championship player) to be able to contribute and last 90 minutes. Shipley I’m afraid falls short on both counts and that’s clear for all to see including his most ardent of fans-including yourself.

CDK

Surprised Jones seems to have slipped down and not on the bench says to me he's out end of season.

Cov kid 55

Not sure, the fact that he wasn’t on the bench Saturday suggests carrying a niggle rather than anything else - as suggested by people who have some knowledge. To be fair, he has, what, 14 games or so to show what he can do? Perhaps if we’re mathematically safe from relegation, and unlikely to reach the play-offs, he’ll get that chance.

Last edited:

rob9872

It was a twinge on his knee so resting to make sure he's ok. Nothing to read into it. No Jones or Howley which is why Dinanga was promoted to the bench Saturday. I expect he'll probably still rest tomorrow and be back on the bench for Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread