The pub (1 Viewer)

duffer

There is a woman on a local facebook group that seems to blame all social issues on teaching and schools, I was being a bit tongue in cheek in relation to her attitude. 'Schools need to do more'. Knowing that my wife needs to look out for potential terrorists, abusive parents etc while trying to deliver an education it winds me up a bit.

Could she also make sure the kids are fed properly, please, and to give them just the right amount of homework (not too much, not too little). Surely she could plan for this in the 32 weeks she gets off every year? 😄

NorthernWisdom

Living in a village I am really happy for the pub owners who had been in only a year or so before Covid but they have stuck it out and opened a cafe this morning - they are hard working people and obeyed all the rules to keep people being sociable and not going out of their minds
Yeah, parents' village pub isn't opening until Thursday (ressuring they're not rushing!) and it's not exactly the same as a town centre pub at the best of times, anyway.

Another pub in the area, the landlord was very good to my parents through this year too, so I hope he gets the business he deserves!

bringbackrattles

There's many a time when it felt like the football was the only thing spoiling an otherwise perfectly enjoyable session. 🙂
Had many a session in the Wheatsheaf before and after games with hill83 and his dad and mate. Proper spit and sawdust pub ideal for match days, and always lively.

Evo1883

If anyone was in this queue, you should be ashamed who goes to the pub at midnight on a Sunday to sit outside?View attachment 19527
People who have been sat at home for 13 months, perfectly normal response to "freedom"

It's not much different to a normal weekend evening at bars is it ? People queuing to get in late evening drinking until early hours

NorthernWisdom

I was in a queue outside for Tesco last week and didn’t have a mask on until just before I went in.

I get where you are coming from though. I bet the photos look worse than it was. And no rules have been broken. I assume, I’m sure we’ll find out soon enough if rules have been broken.
This, I can get on board with. Frankly the scaremongering, in conjunction with the blase what the hell mentalism partyyyyyyy of the polar opposite, can fuck right off however.

Middle ground ftw!

Evo1883

Be mental when nightclubs eventually open..

Posts on twitter

" can't believe these young people were DANCING together "
giphy.gif

Evo1883

I just saw my Italian friend was arguing about it on an Italian Facebook page. Some of the people saying the English are idiots.

I also saw someone say “Coventry, the Florida of England” and this image has been posted

View attachment 19531

I mean , having a go at people for doing something they are allowed to do within the law is a bit baffling 🤣

Very strange ...

Yet an attitude that will be there for many months to come I'm sure

Fuck them , enjoy your pint

Liquid Gold

I mean , having a go at people for doing something they are allowed to do within the law is a bit baffling 🤣

Very strange ...

Fuck them , enjoy your pint
I saw something online which I think is very true.

“Some people aren’t looking forward to the end of the pandemic because they love being the best at following the rules”

Let’s live our lives. Have some pints and hopefully be back at the football before long.

NorthernWisdom

Very strange ...

I'll explain my fears, as a number of posts here have not been helpful to me.

I have not yet had a vaccine, have been told that actually I'm at increased risk of death or serious illness from Covid compared to other men of my age, Mrs Wisdom has not yet had the full vaccine.

Opening up? Fine. But, come June 21st, the government says that I am expected to go to work with zero mitigation in terms of distancing, masks etc. and there is a 100% chance that I will not have had my full vaccine by then. I am entirely dependent on my employer being a responsible employer to protect me, and retaining some mitigation on their own bat. In terms of herd immunity, then there is also a 100% chance that the vaccine will not have been offered to everybody by then, meaning others are still at a certain risk, as the vaccine is not 100%.

So, if it's all guns blazing, it's all very well letting students do what they feel like but, I come into contact with a fair few as part of my job. They may not be at particular risk, but some of the people they come into contact are. Therefore, free and easy and as if nothing has happened is not a pleasing prospect for me. It's all very well saying if you want to stay in, stay in, but come June 21st, as it stands, I am *forced* out.

So, by all means, open up, cautiously, keep an eye and a check. But mentalism is not a pleasing thought to me. The extreme drawing attention to the outliers of what goes too far upon opening up is probaby not helpful (the current regs are outside after all and, probably not of great risk - as hill says, you don't wear a mask to queue for a supermarket) but, nor is the reaction the other way that celebrates the chance to do anything you like. As a society, we need to be considerate of everybody, and not make it an I'm alright Jack position.

I'd just like us all on this board, every last one of us (including me) to think about the tone we choose before we post on this subject.

And with that, I'm off for a bit, because this and the other thread are in danger of taking a worrying turn. There's a difference between celebrating being able to have a pint with friends, and making it an antagonistic either for or against, and they're risking heading to the latter. I don't want to be around for that :)

Evo1883

I have not yet had a vaccine, have been told that actually I'm at increased risk of death or serious illness from Covid compared to other men of my age, Mrs Wisdom has not yet had the full vaccine.

Opening up? Fine. But, come June 21st, the government says that I am expected to go to work with zero mitigation in terms of distancing, masks etc. and there is a 100% chance that I will not have had my full vaccine by then. I am entirely dependent on my employer being a responsible employer to protect me, and retaining some mitigation on their own bat. In terms of herd immunity, then there is also a 100% chance that the vaccine will not have been offered to everybody by then, meaning others are still at a certain risk, as the vaccine is not 100%.

So, if it's all guns blazing, it's all very well letting students do what they feel like but, I come into contact with a fair few as part of my job. They may not be at particular risk, but some of the people they come into contact are. Therefore, free and easy and as if nothing has happened is not a pleasing prospect for me. It's all very well saying if you want to stay in, stay in, but come June 21st, as it stands, I am *forced* out.

So, by all means, open up, cautiously, keep an eye and a check. But mentalism is not a pleasing thought to me. The extreme drawing attention to the outliers of what goes too far upon opening up is probaby not helpful (the current regs are outside after all and, probably not of great risk - as hill says, you don't wear a mask to queue for a supermarket) but, nor is the reaction the other way that celebrates the chance to do anything you like. As a society, we need to be considerate of everybody, and not make it an I'm alright Jack position.

I'd just like us all on this board, every last one of us (including me) to think about the tone we choose before we post on this subject.

And with that, I'm off for a bit, because this and the other thread are in danger of taking a worrying turn. There's a difference between celebrating being able to have a pint with friends, and making it an antagonistic either for or against, and they're risking heading to the latter. I don't want to be around for that :)
For what it's worth , I work with various crews of 3 people within close proximity , I have asthma and haven't had a vaccine yet .

I'm very pleased people are taking advantage of their new found freedoms

NorthernWisdom

For what it's worth , I work with various crews of 3 people , I have asthma and haven't had a vaccine yet .

I'm very pleased people are taking advantage of their new found freedoms
I'm happy for them. As I said, I have no problem with people posting that they can have a pint, that they're meeting mates again, whatever. I've also put up that I hope local pubs to my family get the business they deserve. That's different to setting in opposition, and it's in danger of mocking concerns people have going forward, especially before they have had a vaccine.

Mental health issues take many forms. What I'm asking is the tone, from us all, to be considerate and aware of that. Some people will be desperate to get out and see friends, and I'm glad they can. Doing it responsibly, outside, seems eminently reasonable to me as it stands.

Others will be concerned about a vision of June 21st of them being left dead in the water. Have consideration for them, too.

Evo1883

I'm happy for them. As I said, I have no problem with people posting that they can have a pint, that they're meeting mates again, whatever. I've also put up that I hope local pubs to my family get the business they deserve. That's different to setting in opposition, and it's in danger of mocking concerns people have going forward, especially before they have had a vaccine.

Mental health issues take many forms. What I'm asking is the tone, from us all, to be considerate and aware of that. Some people will be desperate to get out and see friends, and I'm glad they can. Doing it responsibly, outside, seems eminently reasonable to me as it stands.

Others will be concerned about a vision of June 21st of them being left dead in the water. Have consideration for them, too.

The answer may be to speak to your doctor and employer about the mental problems and fears you are facing or experiencing in regards to the easing of lockdown ?

chiefdave

Great post. I find it frustrating that every issue now has to be seen in binary terms. You're either open everything up or a lockdown lover.

I'm not seeing many, if any, people saying the gyms, shops & pubs shouldn't be open, what is being said is stick to the social distancing rules that are in place and be sensible. You can express concern at pictures like those from The Oak or of people literally shoving each other out of the way to get in to shops without wanting everything shut down completely. Nobody looks at a picture like the one Sbarcher posted and says places like that should be closed.

The number of people who are saying things like 'the vulnerable are vaccinated' or 'its only the young going out and they're safe' is alarming to me, shows that over a year in there is still little understanding among the public of how dangerous the virus is and how it spreads.

I was reading about Chile at the weekend after someone on here mentioned it. Nearly half the population have had at least one jab yet they are now in lockdown again after cases surged. This stood out in one article "people over 70, most of whom have already been vaccinated, have almost disappeared from our emergency rooms, now we have younger patients, some gravely ill”. Two things kept being mentioned in the articles I read, failure to properly secure the countries borders and complacency, particularly among the young, as the vaccination program proceeds. We need to make sure the same thing doesn't happen here, nobody wants to be heading back into lockdown.

NorthernWisdom

Great post. I find it frustrating that every issue now has to be seen in binary terms. You're either open everything up or a lockdown lover.

I'm not seeing many, if any, people saying the gyms, shops & pubs shouldn't be open, what is being said is stick to the social distancing rules that are in place and be sensible. You can express concern at pictures like those from The Oak or of people literally shoving each other out of the way to get in to shops without wanting everything shut down completely. Nobody looks at a picture like the one Sbarcher posted and says places like that should be closed.

The number of people who are saying things like 'the vulnerable are vaccinated' or 'its only the young going out and they're safe' is alarming to me, shows that over a year in there is still little understanding among the public of how dangerous the virus is and how it spreads.

I was reading about Chile at the weekend after someone on here mentioned it. Nearly half the population have had at least one jab yet they are now in lockdown again after cases surged. This stood out in one article "people over 70, most of whom have already been vaccinated, have almost disappeared from our emergency rooms, now we have younger patients, some gravely ill”. Two things kept being mentioned in the articles I read, failure to properly secure the countries borders and complacency, particularly among the young, as the vaccination program proceeds. We need to make sure the same thing doesn't happen here, nobody wants to be heading back into lockdown.
tbh, I can do without the pictures of the Oak, too!

I take, incidentally, hill's point that it probably isn't as bad as it seems. I'm also not bothered about the lack of masks outside, as everywhere else hasn't had them!

tbh I took the initial photo as a question about what kind of mentalist would queue up in the cold for a pint *there of all places* at midnight when it's freezing to buggery - nowt to do with Covid restrictions, more general sanity!

skybluesam66

I just saw my Italian friend was arguing about it on an Italian Facebook page. Some of the people saying the English are idiots.

I also saw someone say “Coventry, the Florida of England” and this image has been posted

View attachment 19531
The English are idiots - Am i not wrong that the virus came into Europe Via the Italians in the first place - Still running the other way it seems!

Rich

tbh I took the initial photo as a question about what kind of mentalist would queue up in the cold for a pint *there of all places* at midnight when it's freezing to buggery - nowt to do with Covid restrictions, more general sanity!

Which is exactly as intended. If it was mid day on a sunny Saturday at a lovely country pub, then I could understand the will to be there.

Liquid Gold

Which is exactly as intended. If it was mid day on a sunny Saturday at a lovely country pub, then I could understand the will to be there.
Or young people, students with no classes on Monday who haven’t been able to see their mates for fucking ages.

Just cos you’re not into doesn’t mean it’s idiotic. Allow it.

Tommo1993

Maybe some may have taken ‘You can go to the pub’ as ‘you must go to the pub’.

Grendel

Not the time then to do a chorus of Jimmy Percy and Sham 69 - hurry up Harry come on...

NorthernWisdom

The answer may be to speak to your doctor and employer about the mental problems and fears you are facing or experiencing in regards to the easing of lockdown ?
And I have done just that. That's when they came back with a report that I was at increased risk of death! That doesn't stop people (I repeat, including me) thinking about the tone they choose, however.

Grendel

Had to do a visit to a unit on Charter Avenue - The Sovereign is going for it 😂

Grendel

Grendel

Drove past the park gate early doors and big fat topless blokes supping pints at 11 am 😂

Evo1883

Il be surprised if there isn't a DJ set up on the steps of the sovereign tonight by 6 haha

Evo1883

I was in the gym at 6.15 which some people might find mental to be fair.

Would I go for a pint at midnight? Fucking right I would.
Sometimes I drive to work early at around half 5 and some people look like they've been out running for an hour already

Grendel

Is that still open?!? Last time I was in there, it was like a stage set for some Jack the Ripper melodrama!

Oh yes I have frequented myself and may do so again

Users who are viewing this thread