The Penalty (1 Viewer)

Happy_Martian

Well he has admitted the charge

Or been told to take one for the team. An appeal which would have likely failed could only have extended the sentence.

Sky Blue Pete

Rethinking this.

Godden did nothing all other players wouldn't have done and we benefitted from it

Do we want to stop all diving? Yes
Can we? No
Can we reduce it? Yes
How? Referees make good decisions and don’t blame players when they are hoodwinked
How? Consistent application of the rules including match bans and fines

What definitely won’t work is indiscriminate application of those rules

Reactions: vow

slowpoke

Not happy about it but suspect Cov have looked at the options and decided what’s best for the team and although it’s two games it’s only basically a week off,
One thing I hope is Robins uses this to motivate us v Blackburn and PNE.

Sky Blue Pete

I agree with most of your points, except..

So a player deliberately cheats, the (honest) ref misses it, and we blame the ref?
Fair enough. Misses it or makes a mistake? Ref didn’t miss this one he saw it clearly and had another angle from his assistant. The deception must be at the level of Paul McKenna

slowpoke

Rethinking this.

Godden did nothing all other players wouldn't have done and we benefitted from it

Can we? No
Can we reduce it? Yes
How? Referees make good decisions and don’t blame players when they are hoodwinked

Attempts to hoodwink referees happen throughout every week.
What needs to happen is VAR needs to be extended throughout the EFL and funded by the FA/EFL expensive yes but there’s certainly enough money in the game to do it.

SlowerThanPlatt

Attempts to hoodwink referees happen throughout every week.
What needs to happen is VAR needs to be extended throughout the EFL and funded by the FA/EFL expensive yes but there’s certainly enough money in the game to do it.

Don’t clubs pay for it per game?

Frostie

Fair enough. Misses it or makes a mistake? Ref didn’t miss this one he saw it clearly and had another angle from his assistant. The deception must be at the level of Paul McKenna

Tbf Pete, I've not heard a single fan at the game, either ours or Fulham's, who didn't think it was a stonewall penalty at the time. It was a very convincing dive. Not sure we can blame the ref.

Nick

Administrator
Tbf Pete, I've not heard a single fan at the game, either ours or Fulham's, who didn't think it was a stonewall penalty at the time. It was a very convincing dive. Not sure we can blame the ref.

Which makes you wonder why the players who do very obvious dives get away with it so much?

usskyblue

Jesus fucking H

He dived. He got caught… what’s left? A good moan about consistency… which I agree with btw but can’t be arsed to verbalize…

… suffice to say, diving is hazardous

farting-in-wetsuit.jpg

slowpoke

Don’t clubs pay for it per game?
Yes I think they do but there will be a collective cost in the interest of fairness the football authorities should fund it. At the moment as we have just seen for example it wasn’t at Cov v Fulham but if either club play a Premier team away in the FA Cup it will be should either be at home it won’t be…crazy.

Grendel

Yes and we all will be looking out for incidents over the next couple of weeks of players doing the same and would demand the league to take retrospective action

Why will we?

slowpoke

Yes and we all will be looking out for incidents over the next couple of weeks of players doing the same and would demand the league to take retrospective action
I don’t think we will unless perhaps similar happens in our game. but press and tv might, they do anyway I would love something to happen in the premier soon.

fatso

I don’t think we will unless perhaps similar happens in our game. but press and tv might, they do anyway I would love something to happen in the premier soon.
Sterling is fucked now, the fa have set the standard, let's see if they continue to uphold it!

Terry Gibson's perm

You have a point re. Sterling but in a way he’s protected by VAR a decision can and will be made during the game.

But should he be a dive is a dive if they tell the refs not to book them for it they can look at it after and ban them.

MalcSB

if the ref had seen it as a dive, it would have been a booking, wouldn’t it.Seems wrong to get a two match ban when it is reviewed retrospectively - same as a red card.

JAM See

if the ref had seen it as a dive, it would have been a booking, wouldn’t it.Seems wrong to get a two match ban when it is reviewed retrospectively - same as a red card.
He cheated.

It was good for the team that he cheated.

I'm glad he cheated.

He got caught. Suck it up.

Last edited:

blunted

Will be interesting to see the next occurrence and the next ban !
This is absolutely crucial. Every match is televised now. Lets see how it pans out ie stops players diving or back to the usual inconsistencies from the powers that be.

Ian1779

Rethinking this.

Can we? No
Can we reduce it? Yes

As you’ve said I think fans, managers and players would be more accepting if it was done as part of a consistent application of the rules, but as we’ve seen with refereeing just this season, the quality ranges from dire to barely capable.

olderskyblue

What happens when the ref misses a trip on a player in the box, and doesn’t give a penalty? The defender has his arms up in the air claiming he never touched him. Should the defender get a 2 match ban? I mean, he’s clearly conned the ref.

shmmeee

What happens when the ref misses a trip on a player in the box, and doesn’t give a penalty? The defender has his arms up in the air claiming he never touched him. Should the defender get a 2 match ban? I mean, he’s clearly conned the ref.

The rule is conning the ref for a pen or red card so no. Here’s one though: last season at Luton Fadz got a pen given for a handball that wasn’t. Should every Luton player who appealed get a two match ban?

Users who are viewing this thread