The Penalty (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

And unfortunately, that is where the rule fails. Football will never be rid of cheating unless stronger action is taken. The ref in this instance gave a corner. If he felt the Swansea player was attempting to win a penalty by deceit, instead of a corner, he should have booked the player for simulation and awarded a freekick to Cardiff. If he genuinely missed it, it should be up to the fourth official or the assessor in the stand to report the incident to the FA for retroactive disciplinary action.

Otherwise, what's to prevent other players from continuing to attempt the same thing knowing there will be no comebacks ?
Really conflicted having seen the videos on the video thread. Quite proud we haven’t crowded the ref and made a song and dance about it but the fa giving godden a two match ban and no retrospective action against mitrovic just does my goat.

Dissent is the bane of the game

Sky Blue Pete

I like how the referee getting it wrong leads to a bigger punishment for the player.
The FA are not fit for purpose. Probably most institutions aren’t.

It’s not just about this one decision it’s about what’s the progression of travel on these things. Why when Robins and many others speak so calmly and encourage us to do the same as fans. But then warnock evans Barton just do what they like

Brighton Sky Blue

The FA are not fit for purpose. Probably most institutions aren’t.

It’s not just about this one decision it’s about what’s the progression of travel on these things. Why when Robins and many others speak so calmly and encourage us to do the same as fans. But then warnock evans Barton just do what they like

In plenty of games every weekend you will find cases of ‘successful deception’ which we more commonly refer to as ‘buying fouls’. It just so happens that our one was on the Sky cameras and a little club daring to beat one of the fallen galacticos.

If this rule actually were applied across all games and not just ones the FA can be bothered to watch there’d be several dozen bans a week. With nothing for the officials who couldn’t call it at the time.

Sky Blue Pete

In plenty of games every weekend you will find cases of ‘successful deception’ which we more commonly refer to as ‘buying fouls’. It just so happens that our one was on the Sky cameras and a little club daring to beat one of the fallen galacticos.

If this rule actually were applied across all games and not just ones the FA can be bothered to watch there’d be several dozen bans a week. With nothing for the officials who couldn’t call it at the time.
For me mistakes are absolutely ok
Deception and cheating are not and should receive a sanction
Aggressive verbal abuse should receive the worst sanction

My first experience was as a 14 year old reffing an u 12 game. I gave a free kick and the dad charged on the pitch to confront me aggressively. No one stopped him , no one told him to stop , he called me a c**t moron wanker fuckin shit and all I had was a please leave the pitch. He did eventually. No one apologised from his club. As far as I know there was no club sanction. A retired police officer was walking past the pitch and said I’d handled it well and gave me his name and address to be a witness. I finished the game, took my pay signed the form and cried all the way home on my bike.

Under are games are well managed and planned now but it’s just not ok

Brighton Sky Blue

For me mistakes are absolutely ok
Deception and cheating are not and should receive a sanction
Aggressive verbal abuse should receive the worst sanction

My first experience was as a 14 year old reffing an u 12 game. I gave a free kick and the dad charged on the pitch to confront me aggressively. No one stopped him , no one told him to stop , he called me a c**t moron wanker fuckin shit and all I had was a please leave the pitch. He did eventually. No one apologised from his club. As far as I know there was no club sanction. A retired police officer was walking past the pitch and said I’d handled it well and gave me his name and address to be a witness. I finished the game, took my pay signed the form and cried all the way home on my bike.

Under are games are well managed and planned now but it’s just not ok

As you said before Mitrovic screaming in the ref’s face doesn’t get a ban but Godden’s dive being missed by everyone does. I know what I’d rather see.

I used to ref games at Power League at Woodlands as a teenager, more than once I went home crying after being sworn at, physically threatened and so on. I didn’t report it, I just didn’t go back.

chiefdave

The current way this works is a joke. I'd be all in favour of any attempt at conning the ref being a 2 match ban to eradicate it from the game but to have it set up so it only applies to certain situations and also requires the ref to have messed up is ridiculous.

Why does a defender not get a ban if they foul, claim they did nothing and the ref doesn't give a penalty? Thats not really any different to claiming a penalty when it isn't a foul.

robbiethemole

Looking at the tackle the player is off the floor, studs up and out of control. Surely they must look at that as serious foul play and retrospectively ban him like they did Bong. Ref missed it so they can do something about it

Sky Blue Pete

The current way this works is a joke. I'd be all in favour of any attempt at conning the ref being a 2 match ban to eradicate it from the game but to have it set up so it only applies to certain situations and also requires the ref to have messed up is ridiculous.

Why does a defender not get a ban if they foul, claim they did nothing and the ref doesn't give a penalty? Thats not really any different to claiming a penalty when it isn't a foul.
I suppose it says something that we are guilty of only being made aware when it affected us. It’s just nonsense though. They need a plan to change it over time

hill83

The main difference for me is with diving you’ve made a conscious decision to cheat beforehand. You aren’t going to be purposely trying to foul someone in the box before the fact.

wingy

Looking at the tackle the player is off the floor, studs up and out of control. Surely they must look at that as serious foul play and retrospectively ban him like they did Bong. Ref missed it so they can do something about it
Whatever happened to the tackle from behind.
Rule changes are becoming rediculously frequent.

Sky Blue Pete

The main difference for me is with diving you’ve made a conscious decision to cheat beforehand. You aren’t going to be purposely trying to foul someone in the box before the fact.
You do purposefully claim that you didn’t cause the player to fall

hill83

You do purposefully claim that you didn’t cause the player to fall

Could be seen as claiming it wasn’t a foul. You can cause a player to fall and it not be a foul.
Along the same lines as people saying “if it’s not a foul it’s a dive”. Not always the case.

Sky Blue Pete

Could be seen as claiming it wasn’t a foul. You can cause a player to fall and it not be a foul.
Along the same lines as people saying “if it’s not a foul it’s a dive”. Not always the case.
Very true but when a defender does take out the player and then claims the player dives it’s a bit rich

Warwickhunt

If the referee done his job properley and spoke to the linesman it would not have been a penalty and Godden would have just got a yellow! but instead we lose him for two games! load of shite if you ask me. As for gyokeres being tackled at Blackburn! Well roger me sideways! It was such a blatant foul and if they rerun the video the bloody Referee would be demoted!.

JAM See

Can't be arsed to start a new thread.

That decision today was the worst piece of officiating I have seen all season.

Not blaming the Huddersfield lad who 'won' the penalty, but the referee!

For fuck's sake. Somebody needs to have a word.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Sat at that end today.Definite one don't think he needed to do it but in the heat of the game you have a split second to make your mind up.What about the O'Hare incident at singers corner was it a dive certainly did not look like it from our end.

CJ_covblaze

Sat at that end today.Definite one don't think he needed to do it but in the heat of the game you have a split second to make your mind up.What about the O'Hare incident at singers corner was it a dive certainly did not look like it from our end.
Not sure if O’Hare’s was a dive but he instantly got up saying to the ref it wasn’t a pen.

skyblue1991

What are you talking about, O'Hares wasn't a penalty and Wilson's foul was

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

It was blatant. Don't blame Wilson, it would've been a goal otherwise and he very nearly saved the pen. He was let down big time by his defence, not the officials.

pusbccfc

The decision to go back and stop play for the play acting from the Huddersfield player was one of the worst things I've seen for many years at a football match

Gint11

The O Hare one was never a pen. He went to draw a foul, then went to go down, stayed up and fell to his knees.

Their pen was 100% a pen. Wilson looked like he was going to make it but the pad poked it first. The shame with it is that the Huddersfield player kicked it out for a goal kick but Wilson was committed.

stupot07

'Won' the penalty. It was literally right in front of me in block 30, Wilson took him out. It was as stone wall a penalty as you'll get. 100% penalty. No question.

The only complaint on the ref was not booking their keeper for time wasting. He was probably the best I've seen this season at playing the advantage.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Terry Gibson's perm

In the ground I had no idea if it was a penalty for them but looking at the replays it looked it to me. O’Hare’s wasn’t a penalty and he didn’t appeal and wouldn’t have been noted if their keeper hadn’t come rushing out asking for a booking.

Terry Gibson's perm

The decision to go back and stop play for the play acting from the Huddersfield player was one of the worst things I've seen for many years at a football match

It was totally ridiculous and is the sort of behaviour the league should be looking at and giving out retrospective bans for, it happened in a game earlier where the keeper kicked it out and fell over to stop the quick throw in.

djr8369

'Won' the penalty. It was literally right in front of me in block 30, Wilson took him out. It was as stone wall a penalty as you'll get. 100% penalty. No question.

The only complaint on the ref was not booking their keeper for time wasting. He was probably the best I've seen this season at playing the advantage.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

He was the most successful at time wasting as he managed to look busy doing it. Those little throws to the CB who would catch the ball, put it down, then take the goal kick but giving it back to the keeper. Huddersfield were had loads of little bits of gamesmanship going on. All the about killing momentum and creating confusion. Maybe we need to be a bit more like that.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

If you actually play the clip instead of show a screenshot you can see the player knocks the ball to the side and runs in between the ball and Wilson, then the acting from him after was pathetic, that number 8 was a good player but it was comedic how he was constantly diving, stay on your feet, I get frustrated when O’hare does the same thing at least he got up rather than role around to get a penalty

Adge

Unfortunately the referee there had no choice and thought it was a head injury-so a mandatory stoppage of the game is the right call. Of course we all have our own opinions…..

SBT

Don’t understand this one - everyone around me was losing their shit over it, but we got the ball back in the same position uncontested, so did it even impact us?

Users who are viewing this thread