The Official Petition Thread (3 Viewers)

mark82

Graham Westly's just been on 5 Live promoting the Petition. He did a fantastic job! Very articulate, got the point across and lasted about 3 minutes. They're asking for City fans to call in.

Graham Westly? As in Stevenage boss?

J

Jack Griffin

137 signatures in last hour, pace picks up early evening.. (probs thanks to Ginetta's work as much as anything else)

I mentioned this in a previous page but why has there not yet been a response from the relevant department yet? All petitions with over 10k signatures have had a short comment from the relevant department added onto the petitions page.

sbvet

Banned
600 signatures today, and about 200 in the last 2 hours after being announced on a national radio programme. Sounds a little disconcerting to me, considering how many thousands are listening, I would have expected a few thousand!

WRT Leaflets, remember this, if you are handing out leaflets at games, how many of those going would have already signed? No point preaching to the converted!

As for the response, when you look at the entire ePetition system it is a basket case! they are months behind, they meet once a fortnight, and the back benchers who work on this are moaning that they are not given anywhere near enough parliamentary time to sort this out!

As I said, I would never have gone down the ePetition route. I eould expect a long long delay before you get your response!

Bluegloucester

600 signatures today, and about 200 in the last 2 hours after being announced on a national radio programme. Sounds a little disconcerting to me, considering how many thousands are listening, I would have expected a few thousand!

WRT Leaflets, remember this, if you are handing out leaflets at games, how many of those going would have already signed? No point preaching to the converted!

As for the response, when you look at the entire ePetition system it is a basket case! they are months behind, they meet once a fortnight, and the back benchers who work on this are moaning that they are not given anywhere near enough parliamentary time to sort this out!

As I said, I would never have gone down the ePetition route. I eould expect a long long delay before you get your response!

Nothing like putting a positive spin on the subject, eh?

Will you be gone once the petition reaches 100k ?

Skyblueweeman

You replied to me saying that you wouldn't pursue your idea of the FIFA/UEFA route, so don't keep on undermining the attempts of others who believe we can achieve something on behalf of our beloved Sky Blues. Quite disrespectful to those who are actually trying to do something.

WM

MichaelCCFC

Best part of 1k today, 14k in 14 days, national media coverage, currently number 2 trending epetition - it's an absolute disaster!

Steve B17

22:30 petition update

approaching 14,000, thats another day with a 1,000 signatures added and the petition is still trending in 2nd place.

There are still lots of forums to tackle which should keep the petition ticking over for next week, the spreadsheet shows we need to contact Newcastle, Bolton, Reading, Crewe, Mk Dons, Preston, Wolves and many others.

It's a shame Westley couldn't say exactly what to type or give the actual name of the petition. I'll circulate it more and bump it again on the bigger forums tomorrow - should be more interested now.

Gold Star Super Fan

mark82

It's a shame Westley couldn't say exactly what to type or give the actual name of the petition. I'll circulate it more and bump it again on the bigger forums tomorrow - should be more interested now.

Gold Star Super Fan

Whose show was it on? Can someone tweet them to retweet.

sbvet

Banned
Thats out of line weeman and you know it!!

What I am saying is a fundamentally obvious statement. As you say, it has been getting 1000 day all two weeks, it is now the 16th day. All yesterday did was boost it back up to the rate it was earlier in the week! Or do you not expect a radio with 100,000's of listeners to boost your numbers significantly?

If the numbers are roughly in line with what you were getting how is it a boost?

Had you not been mentioned on national radio, you would have received less then 400 yesterday. My point is considering it has only been two weeks, do you in your heart of hearts expect the same boosts on radio on a weekly occassion?

What I am trying to get you guys to think, is do not just assume the numbers via the petition is the be all and end all. AS with the hillsborough campaign, I put it to you, that its success had nothing to do with getting 100,000 signatures, and everything to do with what was going on in the real world!

My point, is that every successful campaign I have worked on has never relied on the result of one particular aspect. If you want this to succeed, don't just rely on getting numbers and hoping that a back bencher will endorse it etc etc. You need to back it up with a media campaign. For that you need money pure and simple.

ePetitions have been read out, but they are read when parliament is almost empty, by minor MPs with virtually nothing invested in their success. If you cannot accept any form of criticism then quite frankly you shouldn't be involved in any form of campaign! WM, you seem to think I was invested in the whole FIFA idea, and you once again got aggressive and defensive, and tried to tear down anything that doesn't just blindly go along with your train of thought!

You do realise that 99.999% of the country does not have as much emotional investment in this cause as you don't you? Quite frankly, there are only about 10 or so people in the world (the people responding to this thread) that are as invested as you guys! But that isn't a bad thing! Others will support it, just not to the extent you are! But you cannot go around jumping down the throats of anyone who might not agree with your point of view!

Remember the only reason I joined this was to show you that just relying on an ePetition is not the way forward! I mean what is it you want - the signatures or the inquiry? Inquiries can be pressed for without a petition you do know this right? And ePetitions do not mean it is guaranteed to get the inquiry -again you do know this right?

You as a cause have decided to go down the parliamentary route - that's fine that's the decision you have made?

So answer me this - WHY aren't you badgering MP's directly? Why waste time money and resources on a petition that could just so easily be ignored?

If you are so intent on protest marches - why aren't you protesting outside parliament? Why aren't you protesting outside the offices of the political parties? Surely you have been protesting to the wrong people!

As you are going, at some point you are going to have to invest in advertising pure and simple. You may not like it, but lifes a bitch. At that point you need to decide if its worth spending the money on a petition that mayor may not get read in parliament, and may or may not be backed in a heartfelt way, and considering there is already such an inquiry, you have to hope and pray that a politician can be bothered to raise such a fantastic argument that they agree there is no reason not to hold an inquiry!

Or do you expect an inquiry based solely on the merits of the wording of a petition? If you do then you really do have a naive outlook on life!

Just try and step back and take a look at your campaign from someone who isn't as invested in it as you. Could you justify a multi million pound inquiry based solely on the words in the petition. I have spoken to many lobbyist friends of mine. Not one said they would take this based on the wording, as it clearly states an inquiry has already been held. You need a really strong argument to justify another inquiry.

Unless of course you have more experience than me of how the wheels of power actually work, rather than how they should work! Most of policy is made outside of parliament. Deals behind closed doors. You need several MPs onboard to make this happen. Probably about 50-60 MPs backing this cause might give you the legitimacy to get an inquiry. Definitely a minimum of 2 senior politicians (ideally front benchers) need to be on board.

Oh and when I say onboard, I don't just mean will sign the petition. I mean actually backing the campaign! Get those MPs on your side and you will get your inquiry. Rely on an ePetition, bad mouth any criticism, acting like a spoilt child, and good luck wasting time money and effort on an ePetition.

sbvet

Banned
Did anyone go act as Devil's advocate on this before the petition was raised? From the looks of the wording I guess not. Rest assured when put forward to ask for the inquiry (if ever it gets there) it would be put under a damn sight more scrutiny than I have! And I believe Michael has experienced some of this. Remember you are asking these guys to spend millions on another inquiry. Have you new evidence that wasn't available before? Will politicians with no axe to grind feel as strongly as you about the leagues stance?

are you 100% certain MPs are going to feel as strongly as you? Spending money on a second inquiry on football, is that the best use of taxpayer's money? Most of british sports are run badly. Say a similar petition was raised for rugby league. Could you honestly raise a strong case for starting second inquiry costing untold millions?

I suspect you would find it hard to justify - but please feel free to try and justify!

J

Jack Griffin

14,180, still ticking over nicely, a much better than I though was possible.

MichaelCCFC

Thats out of line weeman and you know it!!

What I am saying is a fundamentally obvious statement. As you say, it has been getting 1000 day all two weeks, it is now the 16th day. All yesterday did was boost it back up to the rate it was earlier in the week! Or do you not expect a radio with 100,000's of listeners to boost your numbers significantly?

If the numbers are roughly in line with what you were getting how is it a boost?

Had you not been mentioned on national radio, you would have received less then 400 yesterday. My point is considering it has only been two weeks, do you in your heart of hearts expect the same boosts on radio on a weekly occassion?

What I am trying to get you guys to think, is do not just assume the numbers via the petition is the be all and end all. AS with the hillsborough campaign, I put it to you, that its success had nothing to do with getting 100,000 signatures, and everything to do with what was going on in the real world!

My point, is that every successful campaign I have worked on has never relied on the result of one particular aspect. If you want this to succeed, don't just rely on getting numbers and hoping that a back bencher will endorse it etc etc. You need to back it up with a media campaign. For that you need money pure and simple.

ePetitions have been read out, but they are read when parliament is almost empty, by minor MPs with virtually nothing invested in their success. If you cannot accept any form of criticism then quite frankly you shouldn't be involved in any form of campaign! WM, you seem to think I was invested in the whole FIFA idea, and you once again got aggressive and defensive, and tried to tear down anything that doesn't just blindly go along with your train of thought!

You do realise that 99.999% of the country does not have as much emotional investment in this cause as you don't you? Quite frankly, there are only about 10 or so people in the world (the people responding to this thread) that are as invested as you guys! But that isn't a bad thing! Others will support it, just not to the extent you are! But you cannot go around jumping down the throats of anyone who might not agree with your point of view!

Remember the only reason I joined this was to show you that just relying on an ePetition is not the way forward! I mean what is it you want - the signatures or the inquiry? Inquiries can be pressed for without a petition you do know this right? And ePetitions do not mean it is guaranteed to get the inquiry -again you do know this right?

You as a cause have decided to go down the parliamentary route - that's fine that's the decision you have made?

So answer me this - WHY aren't you badgering MP's directly? Why waste time money and resources on a petition that could just so easily be ignored?

If you are so intent on protest marches - why aren't you protesting outside parliament? Why aren't you protesting outside the offices of the political parties? Surely you have been protesting to the wrong people!

As you are going, at some point you are going to have to invest in advertising pure and simple. You may not like it, but lifes a bitch. At that point you need to decide if its worth spending the money on a petition that mayor may not get read in parliament, and may or may not be backed in a heartfelt way, and considering there is already such an inquiry, you have to hope and pray that a politician can be bothered to raise such a fantastic argument that they agree there is no reason not to hold an inquiry!

Or do you expect an inquiry based solely on the merits of the wording of a petition? If you do then you really do have a naive outlook on life!

Just try and step back and take a look at your campaign from someone who isn't as invested in it as you. Could you justify a multi million pound inquiry based solely on the words in the petition. I have spoken to many lobbyist friends of mine. Not one said they would take this based on the wording, as it clearly states an inquiry has already been held. You need a really strong argument to justify another inquiry.

Unless of course you have more experience than me of how the wheels of power actually work, rather than how they should work! Most of policy is made outside of parliament. Deals behind closed doors. You need several MPs onboard to make this happen. Probably about 50-60 MPs backing this cause might give you the legitimacy to get an inquiry. Definitely a minimum of 2 senior politicians (ideally front benchers) need to be on board.

Oh and when I say onboard, I don't just mean will sign the petition. I mean actually backing the campaign! Get those MPs on your side and you will get your inquiry. Rely on an ePetition, bad mouth any criticism, acting like a spoilt child, and good luck wasting time money and effort on an ePetition.

WM along with Ginetta and many others on here and though FB, twitter etc are doing an absolutely fantastic job. WM has replied to your posts with nothing but the utmost politeness.

lewys33

Did anyone go act as Devil's advocate on this before the petition was raised? From the looks of the wording I guess not. Rest assured when put forward to ask for the inquiry (if ever it gets there) it would be put under a damn sight more scrutiny than I have! And I believe Michael has experienced some of this. Remember you are asking these guys to spend millions on another inquiry. Have you new evidence that wasn't available before? Will politicians with no axe to grind feel as strongly as you about the leagues stance?

are you 100% certain MPs are going to feel as strongly as you? Spending money on a second inquiry on football, is that the best use of taxpayer's money? Most of british sports are run badly. Say a similar petition was raised for rugby league. Could you honestly raise a strong case for starting second inquiry costing untold millions?

I suspect you would find it hard to justify - but please feel free to try and justify!

Is this guy for real? Bless his cotton socks!

Nick

Administrator
To be fair he does ask some good questions and some good points and does seem to know how things work.

wingy

To be fair he does ask some good questions and some good points and does seem to know how things work.

He uses far too much typeface to get his point over ,which Is to Express doubt about potential ,which Is fair enough ,If he doubts It Keep it to a couple of Sentences /paragraphs, otherwise he comes over as Campaigning.

One point he's wrong on Is the appetite to revisit this as Damien Collin's report Closed with that recommendation, should the powers In the game fail to Implimemt change.

MichaelCCFC

Afraid not Nick. A lot of assertions are made along with claims of experience but they are just that ie assertions and claims, and are becoming ever more removed from the reality of the process, campaign and political situation.

Nick

Administrator
Afraid not Nick. A lot of assertions are made along with claims of experience but they are just that ie assertions and claims, and are becoming ever more removed from the reality of the process, campaign and political situation.

So what's he said that is false or incorrect?

Users who are viewing this thread