The most overly disliked players (1 Viewer)

Esoterica

Seem to remember Adebola getting plenty of stick too before his loan spell at Bradford. Can't we turn this into an all time slated XI? I'll nominate Stephen Hughes and Sammy Clingan for midfield berths.

Paul Anthony

Seem to remember Adebola getting plenty of stick too before his loan spell at Bradford. Can't we turn this into an all time slated XI? I'll nominate Stephen Hughes and Sammy Clingan for midfield berths.

He got plenty the game he came back too! I remember Reid putting him on from the bench to a chorus of boos. By the end of the game they'd turned into cheers, he was probably about our best player that day. Can't remember who it was we were playing.

rob9872

Your wish, is my command:-

Lee Burge
Jack Stephens
Ryan Haynes
Elliot Ward
Callum Davenport
Stephen Hughes
Sammy Clingan
Jacob Murphy
Keith O’Neill
Stern John
Kevin Kyle

:)

Blind-Faith

Davenport??? You must be kidding , he was great for us , shame his career went downhill after his move .

De Zeuw ( if that’s how you spell it ? ) , a young Matt Mills and Colin Hawkins all much worse IMO

Edit to say I totally forgot about Leon Barnett!

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

I remember in the last season at Highfield Road we played Burnley. It was a shocking game, in which we were totally outclassed.

Stern John's performance was so bad, that when he got booked, a chant of "off! Off! Off!" echoed round the stands.

It was our own fans.

The good ol' days of Peter Reid, eh?

Micky Adams was in charge then, I remember that game. It was incredibly grim.

Londonccfcfan

I felt genuinely ashamed to hear people cheer when Vincenti was bought off on Monday. Equally when people ironically cheered when Burge claimed a cross. What good can come of that?! Do people think Burge might think "Oh yeah, the fans want me to catch crosses, ill do that next time" It just shatters confidence. We always treat players like shit then they leave us and go and achieve bigger and better things.

Id like to think id never ever cheer one of our players off. If you want to give someone stick you give it to the manager.

That is really nasty.

fernandopartridge

Telfer, first season aside, was always unfairly castigated by our fans.

Much under appreciated and I've said before (not that it would have ultimately mattered), his injury at Villa Park the day we got relegated changed the game.

pusbccfc

Connor Thomas should be in the mix for that team.

Ash

Will always remember the end of the game against Watford in Coleman’s last game. Final match of the season and just got dicked 4-0. Barnett came over to the fans on his ‘lap of honour’ and was roundly booed and abused by the few who stayed behind. The look of utter shock and bemusement on his face has never left me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob9872

Davenport??? You must be kidding , he was great for us , shame his career went downhill after his move .

De Zeuw ( if that’s how you spell it ? ) , a young Matt Mills and Colin Hawkins all much worse IMO

I didn't think it was a question of who were better or worse. Davenport was good, but as a young kid he made mistakes (as young players often do when learning) and was unfairly criticised for it which is the point of the thread.

skybluepm2

Haynes wasn't out of position for their 2nd! It's clear how little you know about football. Would you rather have a flat back 4 the moved all in one, and the LB and RB stayed this side of the halfway line? Because that's what your suggesting. When we've got the ball you expect our WING backs to get forward and offer an outlet. When we had 3 defensive players behind the ball (Doyle, Hyam and McDonald), you don't expect one to give the ball away easily and the other 2 to double up on 1 player. The fact that your giving him any part of wrongdoing for that goal is laughable. I suppose he was at fault for the cross coming over that Burge dropped and at fault for Grimmers shit head back, how about the 5 and 6, must of been his fault as he wasn't even playing!

How little I know about football? Who the fuck are you? He’s not a wing back, he’s a left back. A left back who can’t defend. And don’t make me laugh, he offers nothing as an outlet. Besides, he shouldn’t have been that far up the pitch at that stage anyway given that Doyle had the ball midway inside his own half, it’s not as if he was exactly overlapping Reid on a regular basis.

Read my earlier post you bellend, I’ve criticised those you mention for their part in the other goals.

Perhaps you don’t think he was at fault for the Luton equaliser, Crewe or Newport foals either? Take off your ginger tinted specs, he’s utter shite.

Malaka

Coventry fans love to dislike and criticise a player more than what they deserve. Some players seem to continuously get stick regardless of their performances.

Has there been two players who have constantly been slated to the extent of Lee Burge and Haynes despite not really deserving it?
I think Lee Burge is probably our most improved player this season. Ryan Haynes on the other hand is pretty dire IMO

Blind-Faith

I didn't think it was a question of who were better or worse. Davenport was good, but as a young kid he made mistakes (as young players often do when learning) and was unfairly criticised for it which is the point of the thread.

My apologies, I got my wires crossed . Then the same can definitely be said for Ben Turner aswell , got slated as a youngster but turned into not a bad player before he left

Malaka

Scott Shearer
Gary Borrowdale
Leon Barnett
Colin Hawkins
Louis Carey
Lloyd Dyer
Neil Wood
Julian Gray
Ellery Cairo
Kevin Kyle
Roy O Donovan
I dont even remember most of these. We have had so much shit playing for us since the drop(s) that we should be sponsored by Finham Sewage Treatment

Mucca Mad Boys

Will always remember the end of the game against Watford in Coleman’s last game. Final match of the season and just got dicked 4-0. Barnett came over to the fans on his ‘lap of honour’ and was roundly booed and abused by the few who stayed behind. The look of utter shock and bemusement on his face has never left me

Leon Barnett was horrendous that game. I’m usually someone who stays till the final whistle. But that game I had enough after about 70m — utterly pathetic performance and probably the earliest I’ll ever leave a match!

oscillatewildly

Much under appreciated and I've said before (not that it would have ultimately mattered), his injury at Villa Park the day we got relegated changed the game.
Telfer wore a crown, made by the fans that had the legend - 'Covers every blade of grass on the pitch' emblazoned on the front.
One day, whilst he wasn't looking I cheekily put a sticker on the back that said "But rarely with the ball at his feet".
Paul Cook (not the drummer) was another who often made an art form out of 'hiding' that would enrage me.

AlansEyes

If we're handing out a lifetime achievement award for being criticised by fans, then it has to go to Telfer. He had years of stick dished out to him. And in all fairness to the fans, he wasn't very good, was he? He was a trier though, but he didn't have bags of ability. Not his fault though, more the fault of Strachan for having his as one of his favourites and refusing to ever drop him (see also: Paul Williams). I seem to remember Telfer getting some stick because he said in an interview that he didn't like football. I remember a fan telling Rob Gurney, 'How can Telfer expect to be able to mark Giggs if he doesn't even watch football?'

Irish Sky Blue

I used to think a lot of the stick Stern John received was unjustified especially when Andy Morrell was hero worshipped just for chasing lost causes.
I remember one game where Stern John gave up on a ball and Morrell raced past him to keep it in.
He was a very talented player but his attitude wasn’t great. That said, I don’t agree with barracking any player. Not sure how a player gets over being taken off and the decision is cheered as with Vincenti on Monday, or Burge catching a cross after his clanger and getting ironic cheers. Presumably all supporters want their team to play to their maximum. I can’t help but think that the next time Vincenti or Burge play for us, particularly at the Ricoh, they will be really nervous of making a mistake and having the crowd on their back. This is a situation that is hardly conducive to them giving a good performance. Vincenti was awful on Monday and has had a generally poor season. Burge’s season has seen solid performances that are interspersed with mistakes. Neither are blameless for loss of points. However the next time they play ( and I would be surprised if both didn’t feature in some form before the end of the season), I want them to be confident and giving of their best. That won’t happen if they are constantly barracked.

coop

Haynes is not a good defender in my eye's he very rarely challenges for headers coming into the box and allows there winger to much space.IMO

SkyBlueSid

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Les Sealey yet. He wasn't very popular when he was our player, especially towards the end of his time here, after a few 'incidents'. Then, after badmouthing the club on his departure, he returned with Luton and was doing cartwheels in front of the West End after Luton won 1-0. Then Sealey returned for a short loan spell and was roundly booed as he took the field and every time he touched the ball. How desperate we must have been!

oscillatewildly

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Les Sealey yet. He wasn't very popular when he was our player, especially towards the end of his time here, after a few 'incidents'. Then, after badmouthing the club on his departure, he returned with Luton and was doing cartwheels in front of the West End after Luton won 1-0. Then Sealey returned for a short loan spell and was roundly booed as he took the field and every time he touched the ball. How desperate we must have been!
No, he wasn't great. Certainly not a 'chip off the old block'. Died at an unbelievably young age.

hill83

How little I know about football? Who the fuck are you? He’s not a wing back, he’s a left back. A left back who can’t defend. And don’t make me laugh, he offers nothing as an outlet. Besides, he shouldn’t have been that far up the pitch at that stage anyway given that Doyle had the ball midway inside his own half, it’s not as if he was exactly overlapping Reid on a regular basis.

Read my earlier post you bellend, I’ve criticised those you mention for their part in the other goals.

Perhaps you don’t think he was at fault for the Luton equaliser, Crewe or Newport foals either? Take off your ginger tinted specs, he’s utter shite.

BoldKeenIvorybilledwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

Legia Sky Blue

Going back a bit David Smith was destroyed by our fans. He started out fantastically taking full backs to the cleaners but once he went through an inevitable bad spell the boo boys got onto him and he lost all his confidence. Although he still occasionally performed well he was never the same player again. To a degree the same happened to Marcus Hall. He made his debut in a televised game against Man Utd I think, where he was outstanding. He then played loads of times for England under 21's, but his confidence was completely knocked by the abuse he frequently received, and despite a long career never lived up to the promise he initially showed.

Gibbo

Around the time he was laying it on for Nouble to score against Gillingham there was fear on here - I kid you not - that Haynes would be poached by a Championship club. I know, I know....
Every time I have seen him you could draw a 10 yard radius circle around the attacking flanker at almost any time in the game, and not find Haynes inside it. I began to get fixated by it

Grendel

Around the time he was laying it on for Nouble to score against Gillingham there was fear on here - I kid you not - that Haynes would be poached by a Championship club. I know, I know....
Every time I have seen him you could draw a 10 yard radius circle around the attacking flanker at almost any time in the game, and not find Haynes inside it. I began to get fixated by it

I think I gave him a 6 that game. Even then his defending was crap.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Scott Shearer
Gary Borrowdale
Leon Barnett
Colin Hawkins
Louis Carey
Lloyd Dyer
Neil Wood
Julian Gray
Ellery Cairo
Kevin Kyle
Roy O Donovan
Some football clubs have an 11 that looks like a who’s who of football, that just looks like a what’s that !!

letsallsingtogether

They also have people who support them no matter what.

Burge had a good game on Friday and the majority of us said so, he was dog shit on Monday and when he's rightly criticised some people still wont have it.
Yes but he gets more shit then any other player.
Yes play well Friday but then they moan about his kickling.
Funny how there is always a but.

Last edited:

mark82

Agree .I always quite liked Telfer. What I'd give for a player like that now.

Users who are viewing this thread